Talk

Advanced search

Why the jeepers does everything have to STINK????

(18 Posts)
duchesse Tue 27-Jan-09 10:47:43

Things that I am now avoiding:

The tap water (uuurgh! Chlorine and some indefinible je ne sais quoi- slurry??)

The dog- manky ears, can smell from two rooms away

The children- do they EVER wash?? The boy's feet especially bad, and the girl 2's hair.

The kitchen- something about it, don't know what, a kind of sour rotten fruity smell; also caged guinea pig, luckily recently cleaned out by daughter 2

The bathroom- those darned bath bombs that my loving husband purchased lovingly in Lush to stop me retching in the bath (see "tap water" above)- they're HORRIBLE. I can't tell him...

The hall- must be the cupboard under the stairs, repository of all things sport related- unbearable. Take a deep breath and rush through

The lanes around here- again slurry and septic tank outflow and rotting leaves- not too bad out in the open but still memorable

My clothes after about two hours' wearing- straight back in the wash with kill-o-nuke washing liquid

Random people in the street- do they EVER wash??

The whole house smells fusty and shut-up, but it's still mostly too cold to throw open the windows

Those chickens I'm boiling in the kitchen for soup. Who in their right mind thought ONIONS and GARLIC would be a good idea?

EllieorOllie Tue 27-Jan-09 10:55:40

If it helps, my husband is threatening to rent me out to British gas as some sort of sniffer hippo, as my sense of smell is so completely ridiculous...

whomovedmychocolate Tue 27-Jan-09 10:57:36

I feel for you - but not too much because I stupidly thought this would go away when the pregnancy ended and it didn't.

Tis great for wine tasting and cooking but I'm now constantly sniffing out sources of stinks and eliminating them. DD calls me 'crazy smelling mummy' hmm because I spend two hours hunting the one patch of carpet she spilled milk on a day ago and is now humming hmm

Rollmops Tue 27-Jan-09 12:50:53

grin I feel for you, I really do! Had the same stinkin' problem while pregnant, the whole world reeked of.... stuffshock. Surprisingly, though, I started to enjoy the smell of petrol, something that had always made me über-nauseous. DH was getting a bit worried when I opened the window and gulped in the gasoline fumes..... hmm.

12stepmum Tue 27-Jan-09 13:19:31

you guys all made me lol )) for me its my sense of taste as well as smell, i had to send back three drinks in a thai place on friday because they all tasted really soapy, then i couldn't eat my main because all i could taste was some kind of camping gas or something - where was the fragrant and promised lemon grass and garlic, loverly. and i can't bear the smell of red wine, have to get my DH to put his glass the other side of the living room or i feel like hurling.

janeite Tue 27-Jan-09 13:25:11

Oh you poor thing. I had to avoid dp for part of each of my pregnancies, as the poor man was "smelly" - he wasn't really but my nose thought he was.

ComeWhineWithMe Tue 27-Jan-09 13:28:12

I feel for you really it was the dog and the fridge for me I had a phobia of opening the fridge door for 3 months and used to wrap a scarf round my face to do it grin.

I have been known to puke at the smell oftissue and the yellow pages before too blush.

EachPeachPearMum Tue 27-Jan-09 14:13:03

Enhanced sense of smell tells me I'm pg before a test does! smile

It goes away c. 3 mo after birth though, and I'm back to smelling nothing as usual.

Newb Tue 27-Jan-09 15:29:46

I am currently avoiding (in no particular order or whiffiness....):

- The dishwasher
- The fridge
- all smokers
- the coffee machine (bleeurgh)
- the cupboard containing the scented candle that DH bought me at Christmas. Its sooooo horrible, but I can't bring myself to throw it away.
- the bin
- the first bit of the supermarket where the veg are.
- the hall outside our apartment. I remember before I was pg it smelled quite nice.

However, I can now enter the dining room, whatever honked in there over Christmas has mysteriously gone away.....

Hawkmoth Tue 27-Jan-09 15:32:39

I found rancid butter in my fridge. I think this will save my life, and my relationship as I might consider cooking again!

I've got DP cleaning his teeth three times a day.

I think I am having olfactory hallucinations though, OR I can smell to the level of 'superhuman'.

duchesse Sun 08-Feb-09 09:48:50

I reckon superhuman, myself. Although I can't identify the hall and kitchen pongs at all and it's driving me NUTS! 14 weeks in, 26 weeks to go...

SobranieCocktail Sun 08-Feb-09 09:51:51

I've had to abandon my usual handcream as the smell is utterly overpowering. And I can't wash my woollens in Woolite any more.

brettgirl2 Sun 08-Feb-09 10:03:03

The thing I had a particular aversion to was the smell emitted by the free energy saving lightbulbs from British Gas.

linspins Sun 08-Feb-09 10:42:04

I really hate the smell of the fridge..the kitchen sink,... even when cleaned to oblivion,... anyone's gassy emissions (!) ...frying onions - actually, make that all food cooking...beer (poor hubby has to keep the glass on the other side of the room too)..and various unknown smells that permeate the car when out driving.
My sense of smell is amazing but I am NOT appreciating it!

Zorra Sun 08-Feb-09 19:06:31

I can just smell myself, I can't work out if it's a heightened sense of smell or that I have just become disgusting since getting pg

bokki Mon 09-Feb-09 11:37:05

i sympathise, mine has calmed down a bit now (am 17wks) before knowing i was pg i was choking when dh came to bed after his showers and deoderant, but i figured it was time to do a pregnancy test when i realised i was up in bed with the door shut and i could smell through another shut door downstairs that a bag of popcorn had been opened!!

OrmIrian Mon 09-Feb-09 11:39:13

Urghh.. poor you. I had very little nausea in my pregnancies. But my mother hated the smell of coffee. She used to get the bus to work and was OK until she walked past Carwardines and just about made it to the toilet in work sad

duchesse Mon 09-Feb-09 12:09:48

I frogmarched my poor 15 yr old son to the deodorant aisle in Sainsbury's to choose something we could both agree on. Poor lamb. Although his only response when I told him I couldn't stand what he was using was: "Yeay! Mother repellent!". Little toad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now