Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

chickenpox in pregnancy/ harmful?

(13 Posts)
mirchops Tue 05-Apr-05 13:58:04

hi, I'm 38 weeks w second baby and have been exposed to chickenpox two days ago. i can't get hold of my doctor so got nervous and wondered if anyone knows if this could be in anyway harmfull. I think I've had chickenpox as a child, and also I'm quite close to my due date so perhaps it's nothin? Does anyone know? cheers mirchops

Lua Tue 05-Apr-05 15:02:43

mIRCHOPS, If you are immune to the virus (i.e. you had as a child) you should not have anything to worry about it. Even if you haven't the risks are smaller the farther along you are, so I'll think you'll be OK.
I think you still should get through your GP or MW and get yourself tested to know if you areally immune or not.

HTH

Potty1 Tue 05-Apr-05 15:16:47

Mirchops - if you've had it its fine. If not you should speak to your GP, there is a risk if you have it when baby is born. I had it in pregnancy when I was 26 weeks and was given an anti-body injection to lessen the effect. I had a pretty bad dose but ds1 was fine.

berolina Tue 05-Apr-05 16:53:53

Hi there

Had a similar dilemma recently when I was exposed to shingles. If you're really not sure whether you had cpox, you can have a blood test to check your immunity. But be warned: I had the test and was amazed to discover it was negative, because I was certain I'd had it and so were my parents, but have now been told it's just about possible that I am immune and the antibodies just don't show up the immunity. However: As you're 38 weeks, there is a risk that if you do get cpox the baby could get it congenitally or just after birth, which could make him/her quite ill. (There is no danger of 'deformities' at your stage). I would inform your MW and GP of the exposure and possibly have a shot of ZIG (zoster immunoglobulin) just in case. The baby can be given it too when he/she's born to lessen any illnes.
HTH! (BTW: most people have had cpox and therefore are fine)

hoolie Tue 05-Apr-05 21:31:14

i'am going to try for a baby this month by my family have chickenpox,will it affect me in anyway or the baby.
look forward to your reply.

Amanda3266 Tue 05-Apr-05 21:34:57

hoolie - if you've had chickenpox then there is no problem.

hoolie Tue 05-Apr-05 21:47:12

thankyou for your reply

mirchops Thu 07-Apr-05 10:22:33

Hi thanks all for replying! I've had a blood screening to see if I have antibodies and am waiting for the answer. Doc says it wont harm the baby if I have antibodies myself, but as you said Berolina, it may well be that the antibodies just don't show up in which case I'll have a shot probably. Anyway the main risk is if the baby gets it, bit worried becuz even if I did have it as a child and I have enough antibodies to pass on to my baby, my ds of 2 might well break out just around the time of giving birth as there is a 2 wk incubation time. ANYWAY I'll just have to wait and see wont I and with two weeks to go, water retention, feeling like a heffalump and not getting much sleep at night I believe I have enough to think about right now...

koonelly Thu 07-Apr-05 11:18:18

Hi, can i just hijack this and ask what about at about 20 weeks, am due to go to nephew's christening sunday and neice has c/pox! is there any risk?

hoxtonchick Thu 07-Apr-05 11:30:47

koonelly i think the problems arise if you aren't immune and are exposed either at the beginning or end of pregnancy. so you should be ok at 20 weeks.

berolina Fri 08-Apr-05 20:15:04

konelly, I wouldn't do it unless you're absolutely certain you've had cpox, and even then I might consider staying at home (see my tale below). 20 weeks is on the boundary for risk of congenital varicella syndrome.

koonelly Sat 09-Apr-05 10:00:20

Hi, i definately had c/pox when i was 18. Neice has had spots over a week now, spoke to m/w yeaterday and she said that should be ok, but just looked it up on bbc-health and still a bit worried. Got to go really, but think will keep distance, just worried that my 4 year old might pick it up (excited about seeing cousin), which will then extrend my risk!!

berolina Sat 09-Apr-05 12:22:13

If you really can't get out of it then just try to avoid really direct contact. In your place I would err on the side of caution (but then I'm a champion worrywart) but if you decide to go then it might help you a bit that 20 weeks is really on the edge of the 'danger zone' and even before 20 weeks the risk of cvs is 'only' 1 in 50.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: