Talk

Advanced search

advice

(8 Posts)
alex7715 Wed 21-Jan-09 20:03:07

i have recently had my 3rd child by c section this was a unplanned pregnancy and was very scared throughout because of this i got steralised i truly regrte this and am so sad i want to get it reversed i had no counselling and i feel was not given enough advice although i did sign consent can anyone advise . x x x x

mogwai Wed 21-Jan-09 20:25:39

I think you might be able to get it reversed but do you really want it reversed after an unplanned 3rd pregnancy?

If you are hoping to pursue a claim aginst the NHS (I'm unsure from your post) I don't think you'll get far. You signed consent. You gave consent - that's your call - you are an adult and you gave consent and the NHS cannot take responsibility for your decision. Sorry of that sounds harsh - I just don't understand why people sign consent if they don't want the procedure. The effects of the procedure (sterilisation) are pretty obvious.

alex7715 Wed 21-Jan-09 20:31:55

i was under great stress and yes i do find your words a little harsh

alex7715 Wed 21-Jan-09 20:31:57

i was under great stress and yes i do find your words a little harsh

CarGirl Wed 21-Jan-09 20:35:16

I have decided not to have any more children and that is the right decision for us as a family. I am still sad that my childbearing days are over, I think it is a natural thing coming terms with this being the last baby you will have etc.

You could ask for some counselling via your gp to help you come to terms with a stressful pregnancy and regret at being sterilised.

mrsdisorganised Wed 21-Jan-09 20:37:02

Were you sterilised at the time of the 3rd c-section? If so then your consultant should have talked to you in great detail pre-surgery .......mine did and consequently I did not/have not been sterilised.

I hope you find some help, and are able to talk through your feelings.smile

mogwai Wed 21-Jan-09 20:48:30

I work in the NHS Alex, and so does my husband. He is frequently asking people to give consent for procedures and doesn't have any way of knowing about somebody's emotional state. In an ideal world he'd have all the time available to counsel a patient beforehand (he's a sensitive sort) but in the real world, verbal or written consent is given on the understanding that the person understands the consequences of the procedure.

I agree there is a lack of counselling. There is a lack of money available to pay for counsellors, like everything else in the health service. It's not a perfect service but it's free and at the end of the day we have to take some share of the responsiblity for decisions we make.

I had an epidural four years ago. I suspect it caused me some ongoing niggling back issues. I'm not totally happy about that but I gave my consent - and I was under stress and in a great deal of pain. The risks were clear and I gave consent. I have no come back whatsoever on this. Where would the NHS be if everyone who signed consent later complained they "didn't mean it?". We have to protect ourselves as professionals or else stop offering healthcare at all - for risk of being sued.

It's unclear from your post whether you are just wanting a reversal or wanting to pursue a complaint. I think you should take advice about the reversal as it might well be an option. And if there's one thing about Mumsnet then it's that people will hold differing views. There are many who will tell you what you want to hear and others who will take the other view or the professional's view or bring different experience to the equation. That's one of it's strengths.

alex7715 Thu 22-Jan-09 11:50:42

i do want it reveresed and i will guess have to pay for it but i neeed to know my chances

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now