Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

gotta bad feeling i have obstetric cholestasis - any advice?

(11 Posts)
minouminou Sun 18-Jan-09 23:45:28

I've been itching like buggery for around 10-14 days now, back, butt and thighs, and noticed today that my palms have started itching and tingling.
I'm 27 weeks now, and put the itching down to hormone/growing etc, but i'm not especially big, and there's no stretching as such yet
my palms feel as if i've been rubbing them on hessian, and they're sensitized and tingly, with quite a bit of itching in my fingers too
any advice, comments etc welcome
seeing MW next tues for routine appt - but if it gets any more intense, I'll call her before that
many thanks, guys.

MrsMattie Mon 19-Jan-09 10:33:45

Go to your GP or walk in clinic as soon as you can. The sooner you get the ball rolling with OC, the better. It could just be that unexplained itchiness that pregnant women get, but if it's OC (which is quite rare, btw), the sooner you can have the relevant blood tests the better.

minouminou Mon 19-Jan-09 13:12:10

Thanks - left a message for MW today, so should hear back. Thing is, got scandinavian background, so it's a bit less rare pour moi, sadly.
(Sits at laptop, scratching small of back in deeply attractive manner).

whitenoise Mon 19-Jan-09 13:14:35

You will need to ask her for live function tests (LFTs) and they lok to see if your ASTs are raised.

there is another pregnancy itchy thing called puritas or something like that

MrsMattie Mon 19-Jan-09 21:09:52

Poor you. OC is a pain. I had it in last pregnancy and i\the itching was murderous sad.

NewAmazingBeginning Mon 19-Jan-09 21:10:31

don't wait

go and get bloods done tmw

fadingfast Mon 19-Jan-09 22:27:09

I had this in both pregnancies. Real PITA but had two healthy babies, both induced 37/38 weeks. If it is OC (blood tests should confirm - bile acids are the key indicator and this test should be repeated even if the first time they are normal as they can rise v quickly). In my case, the meds lowered all my blood indicators after a week or so and the itching subsided. Had to go to hosp for frequent montioring, and the worst thing was that 2nd time, the drs seemed to have even less of a clue about whether early induction is necessary or not and basically left it up to me to decide!

Try www.ocsupport.org.uk/ and www.itchymoms.com/ for more info. Very happy to answer any questions you have. Try not too worry too much.

whitenoise Tue 20-Jan-09 10:52:59

How did it go?

(posting now so i don't forget later)

minouminou Tue 20-Jan-09 13:18:26

Thanks guys (especially fadingfast) - gave a sample earlier today, should have the results by Friday.
The MW seems to be taking it seriously, as she called me in, and when I mentioned the "hessian" feeling she gave a wince and a "oh dear" kinda look.
Itching is more pronounced in my palms now
will update you as soon as i know.

minouminou Thu 22-Jan-09 16:41:43

Hi again, guys.
Just had message from MW, apparently bile salts etc all normal, but my uric acid is elevated (dunno by how much, as was brief message).
got my routine appt on Tues, and she wants to take more samples
now, my blood pressure is anywhere between 90/40 and 100/60, and there was no protein in my wee on tues
no kidney stones, not a mega high-protein diet, don't drink alcohol (had one beer since xmas!) and am not on any meds which could cause this
do i need to start worrying here?

fadingfast Thu 22-Jan-09 20:51:45

Sorry not sure what the raised uric acid might mean, but if your bile acids are ok then it might not be OC. They may well repeat the liver function tests to make sure. Are you still itchy? Try not to worry and let us know how you get on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now