Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

when did you start decorating nursery/buying the furniture?

(20 Posts)
surprisenumber3 Sat 17-Jan-09 18:56:27

Am 27 weeks and not only do I need to order all the furniture and decorate the nursery, I also need to move DS2 out of there and in with DS1 - so bunk beds, new wardrobe, somewhere to store everything etc!

I think I need to get a move on- DH thinks I've got loads of time hmm

Rascal1979 Sat 17-Jan-09 19:01:27

I had everything bought and installed by 28 weeks.....good job really as I delivered at 30+6 !!

ScottishMummy Sat 17-Jan-09 19:09:00

had nursery set up about 30ish weeks.cotbed delivered and assembled,bought sheets etc and pram ordered

but hey had nursery booked at 12weks pg

i just like to be organised

iwantitnow Sat 17-Jan-09 19:10:27

First priority is room moving, so that DS2 doesn't feel ousted would do it as soon as possible. Also in case DS2 takes a while to settle in new room - you don't want to be waking in the middle of the night except for the new baby.

Furniture can sometimes takes 4-6 weeks to arrive. Do you really need to redecorate the nursery? Make a list of what really needs to be done and prioritise.

Once the furniture arrived it only took us half a day to move DD and she slept well in her new room from the first night.

herbietea Sat 17-Jan-09 19:11:21

Message withdrawn

mum2b09 Sat 17-Jan-09 19:12:27

im 32 weeks and have everything to put in the nursery.. however.... still waiting for our house to go through before i can get in it decorate the house then get started on the nursery lol dont worry u have more than enough time xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Neeerly3 Sat 17-Jan-09 19:14:10

35 weeks here and nursery is still the spare room! We figure that people will want to come and stay, namely my mum and baby will be in with us for a few months, so we got plenty of time to set nursery up.....

<wrings hands and thinks, shite, I thinks we need to at least get a changing table installed!>

surprisenumber3 Sat 17-Jan-09 19:16:15

thanks everyone. I think I might order the furniture pretty soon!

DS2 is really excited about moving in with his bro, he's 5 and DS1 is 9 so I can see them having lots of fun!

It does need decorating, it's a garish lime green with jungle animals on!

Nekabu Sun 18-Jan-09 07:44:11

I'm not due for ages but did take advantage of the Mothercare sale and bought a crib & cotbed (and the matresses) now as the price is very good and it can just stay flat packed in the loft until I have a nursery sorted to put it in!

Nekabu Sun 18-Jan-09 07:46:17

p.s., www.quidco.com/ are offering 5% off Mothercare. You need to follow their instructions (espcially re cookies) and go through their site to the Mothercare one. I forgot to use it when I ordered my stuff though ... blush

LoveActually Sun 18-Jan-09 10:50:20

Got round to decorating nursery just before Christmas, when I was 37 weeks. We could have waited longer as am 41 weeks. Got really stressed out with DP because we left it so late, but in the end it didn't matter. We did have everything, and looking back I think that was the thing - whether or not it's 'in place'. x

Vintagepommery Sun 18-Jan-09 11:05:25

For DD2 - we were having an extension so her room wasn't started until she was 10 weeks old. She was in with us until she was 4 months old iirc then moved into her new room. Why does it need to be ready?

bronze Sun 18-Jan-09 11:10:52

About 8 mths with ds1.
The week I was due with ds2 (in fact mil did it while I stayed at my parents)
After she was born with dd
Am 26 weeks and havent even thought about it yet. I was hoping we might have moved first (wishful thinking)

brylbump Tue 20-Jan-09 16:55:30

ordered baby furniture really early as it was sale price but kept it in the shop until approx 16 - 18 weeks. painted nursery when i was 23 weeks as didnt want to leave it until i was to big and uncomfortable, all furniture in there but not set up properly.

NewbieMTB Tue 20-Jan-09 17:00:03

Has anyone been told it's unlucky to have the nursery done before baby arrives? My mum has put the fear of god into me by telling me that i am tempting fate by looking at cotbeds - am 15 weeks and wanted to take adavantage of sales.

BonsoirAnna Tue 20-Jan-09 17:02:55

When DD was about 1.

Nekabu Tue 20-Jan-09 17:25:05

NewbieMTB, if it's not all set up and looking obvious then I don't see how it can be tempting fate. The couple of bits of furniture I bought in the sale are flat packed up in the loft. If anything did go wrong (touch wood) I can always Ebay them as stuff was going at pretty near the price I paid for them anyway.

NewbieMTB Tue 20-Jan-09 17:30:42

that's what i think too... I just think would feel better knowing its at home...

Neeerly3 Thu 22-Jan-09 14:54:29

my DT's were early, and spent 8 weeks in SCBU. after 4 weeks we decided we really must buy some furniture, so nipped to babies r us and stocked up. Dh built the cots when we got home - figured they were born now, not much fate left to tempt....that night one of the DT's stopped breathing and had to be brought back and was put back in an incubator for a week or so. Dh never forgave himself! He's fine now btw (DH and twin)!

HenryandIndiasDad Fri 14-Nov-14 18:52:41

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now