Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Grrr Nits!

(7 Posts)
Jasmum Sat 02-Apr-05 17:58:33

I've been fighting nits with DD1 for the last couple of weeks and would like to get rid of them once and for all. DP has put Derbac M liquid on her head, does anyone know if I can use it? I'm 28 weeks pg!!
The leaflet says if you are pregnant consult doctor before using this medication.....

Jasmum Sat 02-Apr-05 18:49:18

Anyone please?

happymerryberries Sat 02-Apr-05 18:54:56

We always resort to wet combing. A pain I know but 100% safe and effective

Blossomhill Sat 02-Apr-05 18:55:38

Try the nitty gritty comb and I buy Dr Johnson shampoo and conditioner to kill nits, which is a herbal remedy.

roisin Sat 02-Apr-05 19:03:03

Derbac M is Malathion-based. I think this is the pesticide which has recently had increased controls put on it with regards to domestic/garden useage.

Sorry to be blunt, but personally I would not put anything of the sort anywhere near my kids, and certainly not near anyone pregnant. It may or may not be 'safe', but IMO it's really not worth the risk.

If you use chemicals on nits, you still have to carry on wet combing every few days for a couple of weeks, as no chemicals can kill the eggs. So why not just forget the chemicals and do wet combing instead?

The bug busting site has some useful info on. You don't have to buy their combs though - they're no different to the ones you buy in the chemist.

tiffini Sat 02-Apr-05 19:05:08

rinse you hair with vinega ( 1-2 tablespoons to every pint of water.

the lice dont like the taste, so they wont feed of you, and if they dont feed they wont lay eggs.

you need to combine it with wet combing and it will take 1-2 weeks.

by the way , you will not be able to smell the vinega in your hair

this also works as a prevention, as well as a cure.

tiffini Sat 02-Apr-05 19:06:52

oops, vinegar

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: