Talk

Advanced search

SI Pain - Questions

(10 Posts)
Hawkmoth Sat 17-Jan-09 09:54:57

SPD in first pregnancy, twinges in pelvis about 8 weeks but now 10 weeks and pelvis feels just about ok.

However, my back is crippling me. Feels so stiff around the SI joints, and the right one is particularly sore to the touch. My right leg is painful, all the way down to the foot and a bit tingly too - nice eh?

So questions (I'm hoping to get to Doctors or MW drop-in on Monday)...

Can I use Deep Heat Spray? Only wondered as it contains Salicylates...

Pelvic Roll exercises still ok?

Is this going to keep getting worse as I go along? I've already had two days' rest, but I was horribly dizzy too so wasn't hugely motivated to go to work.

Thanks.

cashmeremafia Sat 17-Jan-09 11:01:02

Not a doctor or anything but have suffered this in my last pregnancy. Very severe SPD hardly able to roll over or shuffle walk around the house.

It does sound to me like you've got sciatica which is a nerve clamped in, resulting in numbness/tingling feeling all down the leg.

If I were you I'd seek help of a masseuse or osteopath. I had sciatica early on in pregnancy (6wks) and a fab massage lady came every day to treat me and it went away. There was nothing she could do about SPD though. It was gone immediately after delivery.

Oh and yes, SPD did get worse week after week. Lying down helps, you mustn't walk much and put your feet up wherever you can, really rest.

I think a small dose of Paracetamol in pregnancy is ok, just check with your doc again. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Hawkmoth Sat 17-Jan-09 11:18:39

Last time SPD didn't kick in until six months, after a definite slip, and got worse steadily. My back didn't start hurting until after the birth, so this is weird... it's how I felt when DD was about three months old after pushing the pram (grim).

Last time I was on the codeine, which was helpful, but I want to hold off taking it for as long as possible.

Is it too much to hope that this is just an early surge of hormones that's going to settle down and then just gradually get worse. I was signed off for three months last time, I couldn't face that, or longer again. But this time I could go in odd hours and work from home at times, as I do now. I do need them to buy me a proper chair though!

I'm so worried about this, and I'm the sort of person that gets withdrawn with pain anyway. Stupid bloody hormones.

appledumpling Sat 17-Jan-09 11:35:47

Hi, I have SPD which kicked in at 26 weeks when the baby decided to move into a transverse position. It eased a little when the baby finally got itself the right way round at 33 weeks.

DS then pushed his walker in front of me causing me to take a huge sideways step and since then I've been unable to do very much at all.

Rest helps enormously and I've seen an osteopath which has also eased things. It's not a cure but it makes it less painful and I can sleep better at night. Haven't been able to see the physio as she had flu then I had it so I don't have a belt and can't say if that would help at all.

Hope it doesn't get any worse for you.

Hawkmoth Sat 17-Jan-09 18:12:58

Some idiot, yes me, lifted a chair above their head today. How foolish.

It might take a while to adjust to being partially incapacitated again.

napa Sat 17-Jan-09 18:32:14

you can ask to be referred to a physio on the NHS. They can give you exercises to help stretch out the joint and tips on sitting standing and sleeping

herbietea Sat 17-Jan-09 18:38:14

Message withdrawn

Hawkmoth Sat 17-Jan-09 18:51:24

I'm going to go and beg for a referral on Monday. The physio here was FANTASTIC last time, though the afternoons after having my pelvis realigned were pretty (trying to think of a polite way to write f-ing awful) er... difficult.

I'll now enter damage-limitation phase... 30 weeks to go.

xxhunnyxx Sat 17-Jan-09 19:01:41

I've got a similar problem, I'm 15+5 weeks and worried it's just going to get worse through the pregnancy (which is what the Dr told me).
However, if it's any comfort my mum said she got the same problem early in pregnancy and was worried it was going to get worse but then it seemed to just settle down.
I think sometimes it can just be caused by the tissues softening and things re-adjusting themselves to make room for baby. This is what I'm hoping is going on with me anyway!
The midwife has given me a number to get free accupuncture on the NHS so might be worth checking if you'll be entiteled to it.

herbietea Sat 17-Jan-09 19:03:13

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now