Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First baby - when did you first feel...

(27 Posts)
lastboxoftampons Fri 16-Jan-09 10:47:50

Flutters? And then real kicks?

Tee2072 Fri 16-Jan-09 10:48:40

I'm 17 + 3 right now and I felt first flutters about a week ago for sure. No kicks yet though!

Heated Fri 16-Jan-09 10:50:03

really late, not until about week 24/25

shell96 Fri 16-Jan-09 10:51:13

i first felt kicks (well wee prods really) at 20 weeks. Might have had flutters before that but not recognised them though. Everything's been absolutely textbook with me so far with everything happening exactly when the books predict!

Cosmogirl Fri 16-Jan-09 10:52:17

Hi LBOT,

I felt flutters at 16 weeks, then progressed to kicks the following week or two. Was expecting the popping bubbles thing etc...but to me felt more like a goldfish swimming around under the skin!

(1st baby btw...but at this point I was very sick so lying on sofa a lot with hands on stomach so was quite in touch with what my body was doing)

WorzselMummage Fri 16-Jan-09 10:57:17

eeeeeerrrrrm.. about 18/ 20 weeks i think.

the last one at 14 weeks

lastboxoftampons Fri 16-Jan-09 11:10:50

thanks everyone

Cosmo I do that just before I fall asleep - I get in bed with my hands on my tummy and try to feel what's going on in there blush I know it's ridiculous - I'm only 13 weeks (today! Yippee!) but I like to know that there's something in there under my hands IYSWIM?

This whole pregnancy thing is doing my head in grin Was holding my breath until the 12 week scan - had that last week and now I'm obsessed with the next development hmmwink

Bumpsadaisie Fri 16-Jan-09 11:20:03

First baby here.

The first feelings were at about 17 weeks - wouldn't describe as flutters but rather as if little tiny soap bubbles were being blown and then "popped" in my abdomen.

The bubbles gradually got more forceful and with more of them in a row until last night, at 20+4, she gave me two big kicks in a row! Definitely kicks - like someone is giving your tum a poke from inside! Not painful but enough to make you stop what you're doing and go "Oi! Blimey!"

Definitely kicks - I felt my skin move (which I hadn't with the bubbles) and, had I been looking at my tum I would have seen a little ripple, I think.

DH also last night started to be able to feel the biggest kicks very faintly with his hand, which he hadn't been able to before.

nappyaddict Fri 16-Jan-09 11:20:36

12 weeks for flutters can't remember real kicks.

unmadebed Fri 16-Jan-09 11:41:45

On my way to my 20 week scan

Hersetta Fri 16-Jan-09 11:52:45

Flutters from 17 weeks and kicks from 21 weeks.

firstontheway Fri 16-Jan-09 11:53:55

I was 22+1 when I felt my first very definite kick. I'm pretty sure I felt 'jabs' before that but was always unsure. I used to lie on my bed too, just waiting to feel the baby from about 17 weeks! Oh and knocking the side of the bath and drinking ice cold water!

SatHereSitting Fri 16-Jan-09 12:25:06

Flutters from around 14 weeks but at the time I thought it was wind blush

First proper kicks felt at 19 weeks but even then it was really mild but enough to know what it was and kind of took my breath away.

Dp could feel the movements from about 21 weeks and now at 25 weeks I can feel a definate 'shifting' feeling as baby moves and you can see little rises in my tummy when he kicks grin

Was told I probably wouldn't feel movement till later as I have an anterior (front) placenta but there you go

herbaceous Fri 16-Jan-09 12:42:46

LBOT - I'm just the same. Now I'm past the 12-week scan, and the 13-week point of my latest MMC - I'm now obsessing about belly growth, movement, etc etc... I'm nearly 17 weeks, and have felt weird ticklish feelings, but not in the middle, more at the sides of the bump. I like to think it's some toes stretching, but it could be muscles stretching.

I've got my first MW appointment next week, so I'm hoping she'll check out his heartbeat with a doppler, to at least show me he's still alive, if not actively dancing...

MrsMattie Fri 16-Jan-09 12:43:44

Flutters (but wasn't sure if they were or not) at 18 weeks. Real kicks at 20 weeks.

Myneaux Fri 16-Jan-09 14:20:32

21 weeks here and still nothing!

However, I also have an anterior placenta so you are supposed to feel it later on.

ForeverOptimistic Fri 16-Jan-09 14:21:53

16 weeks I felt flutters and then full blown kicks a week later.

wasabipeanut Fri 16-Jan-09 14:36:45

I think I felt flutters at about 18/19 weeks although took a couple of days to twig what they were.

The first time I felt it was sitting up reading at night and I thought I needed to go to the loo blush

NimChimpsky Fri 16-Jan-09 14:39:47

17 weeks for flutters. About 21 weeks for anything else.

herbaceous any feeling atm will be really low down so concentrate on that sort of area instead of higher up iyswim.

Cosmogirl Fri 16-Jan-09 14:56:09

Found this interesting snippet on this very website (in pregnancy section)

'She will move more strongly, her muscles will grow and her kicking will become more forceful. Indeed, many mothers feel their baby kicking by the 20th week. One study that looked at the relationship between when you first feel your baby move and when you give birth found that the average time between feeling the first kick and having your baby was 147 days.'

If this is true then I am due to give birth on 11th March (due date 31st March). Will be interesting to see if there's any truth to it or whether it is yet another old wive's tale.

Tee2072 Fri 16-Jan-09 15:57:32

That is really interesting cosmogirl. I'll try to remember to record when I feel the first actual kick and see when I deliver!

highrise Fri 16-Jan-09 23:43:47

Flutters 14 weeks, now more sort of swishy movements (now 16+4 weeks) some of which make me feel a bit little headed. Flutters were very low down in the middle.

Await first kicks with excitement! Can't wait til my husband can feel something as all he hears is me continually saying "the baby just moved".

monkeybumsmum Sat 17-Jan-09 11:39:10

Missed the 'flutters' blush

Only realised it was the baby when had a full blown kick at 19 weeks.

brylbump Tue 20-Jan-09 17:00:16

i felt flutters from about 16 weeks but movement which felt like little pops in my stomach at 20 weeks, am now 24 weeks and feel them daily.

wellbalanced Tue 20-Jan-09 17:18:33

This is my first i got worried as couldnt feel anything, at my 20wk scan baby was flexing its arms and legs and i couldnt feel a thing!

Didnt feel flutters, straight to kicks (more like prods-still is) at 22 wk. My placenta is anterior i have a V active baby in there but it feels v delicate-not huge kicks!!
28 week today!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now