Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What causes your waters to break?

(11 Posts)
firstontheway Wed 14-Jan-09 13:05:34

Am very sorry if this is one of the most stupid questions that's ever been asked on mumsnet blush

But what actually causes your waters to break? (except for infection etc) I'm only 31 weeks and sometimes baby kicks so hard it feels like she could break the waters herself (though I'm pretty sure that's impossible?) So what does break them? Hormones, no space left in the womb? Am just interested really x

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Wed 14-Jan-09 13:11:53

Is it when the head starts to desend down the birth canal? blush mmm....havent a clue really. I dont think its hormones because my waters had to be broken by the midwife just before I delivered both of my DC's.

Lionstar Wed 14-Jan-09 13:26:20

Well I can't be certain, but mine went the night after seeing the midwife who gave me a very rough and painful examination to find out the baby's orientation and engagement. Baby was head down (fortunately) but totally not engaged, yet my waters went at 37 weeks (and ended up blowing my home birth out of the window)

heavenlylily Wed 14-Jan-09 13:45:09

Not a stupid question as I don't think anyone really knows exactly what triggers labour itself! From what I recall the thinking is that the baby sends a chemical message to the mother when he/she is ready which sets off a hormonal reaction in the mother to trigger labour so maybe this is what also causes waters to break - pressure of baby coming down the birth canal. Although that doesnt explain why some people need waters artificially broken...No help really!!

firstontheway Wed 14-Jan-09 13:46:36

Was it an internal examination lionstar? Thats terrible, poor you!
Maybe it's a 'no-one knows' thing?! I know that the pressure of contractions can break it if you're already in labour but lots break before labour starts don't they? Hmm

Lionstar Wed 14-Jan-09 13:55:35

No not an internal exam, but she had her hands on my belly with fingers digging right down into my pelvis and I screamed out because it was so painful.

firstontheway Wed 14-Jan-09 14:03:04

Bloody hell! Will be much more protective over my bump from now on then!

Thanks Heavenlylily, lots of help in not making me feel so silly lol! x-posts I think you're right... no-one knows! But will be careful about people prodding bump from now on wink

MegBusset Wed 14-Jan-09 14:05:33

Mine didn't break until about 42 hours into labour when they were broken by the doctor!

Hawkmoth Wed 14-Jan-09 14:11:27

Mine were broken (burst really, everyone stood back with goggles on) during labour as they pushed out like a big balloon! Glad I couldn't see it from my end.

missblythe Wed 14-Jan-09 14:12:45

Mine didn't go until I'd been having contractions for 12 hours. There I was, ironing away to Poirot, when with one hell of a contraction but very little warning, I had amniotic fluid all over my floorboards!

Then it got seriously, and I wasn't so keen on ironing as I was on bellowing at DH to get me to hospital and the nice lady with the gas and air

dinkymum Wed 14-Jan-09 19:24:08

Mine broke in the morning the day before I went into labour just after jumping out of bed to answer the door for the postman... So can we add postman as a cause too maybe? lol (DH had already answered the door anyway, I didnt realise he was home, so didnt even need to jump out of bed!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now