Talk

Advanced search

The Early Weeks

(16 Posts)
ChaCha Fri 01-Apr-05 07:53:40

Until Monday i'm not actually sure how many weeks I am but I think its 5 or 6. What do you do to stop throwing everything up? Surely this isn't good for the baby? I can't keep anything down, and everything smells terrible
I keep bursting into tears at work and having to lie down every so often...ohhhhhhh

Expectantmum Fri 01-Apr-05 08:55:17

Oh ChaCha, poor you, but congratulations too! Not really sure what to do to stop the throwing up as I never really had sickness (am now 28 wks) but before I even moved in the morning my partner brought me a cuppa and a biscuit and I sat and had that half an hour before I even contemplated getting up. I always felt sick, but was lucky enough to keep it at bay. This lasted til I was about 12 weeks and then went, although since hitting the last trimester I seem to be getting these feelings back . Keep drinking plenty of water so you do not dehydrate and you shouldn't be doing baby any harm but if you are concerned consult your GP or midwife. Ginger is supposed to be very good for sickness, so maybe try a couple of ginger biscuits in the morning before you get out of bed, and also I think you can get some kind of wrist band which is supposed to help but never used one myself. All I can say is that these feelings should pass, once I got passed 12 weeks I felt great, so I hope that gives you light at the end of the tunnel. Can't help anymore than that, but hopefully this will help bump your message up.

Have you worked out your due date yet?

Expectantmum Fri 01-Apr-05 08:55:28

Oh ChaCha, poor you, but congratulations too! Not really sure what to do to stop the throwing up as I never really had sickness (am now 28 wks) but before I even moved in the morning my partner brought me a cuppa and a biscuit and I sat and had that half an hour before I even contemplated getting up. I always felt sick, but was lucky enough to keep it at bay. This lasted til I was about 12 weeks and then went, although since hitting the last trimester I seem to be getting these feelings back . Keep drinking plenty of water so you do not dehydrate and you shouldn't be doing baby any harm but if you are concerned consult your GP or midwife. Ginger is supposed to be very good for sickness, so maybe try a couple of ginger biscuits in the morning before you get out of bed, and also I think you can get some kind of wrist band which is supposed to help but never used one myself. All I can say is that these feelings should pass, once I got passed 12 weeks I felt great, so I hope that gives you light at the end of the tunnel. Can't help anymore than that, but hopefully this will help bump your message up.

Have you worked out your due date yet?

alicemama Fri 01-Apr-05 08:58:21

So sorry to hear that you're feeling rough. Altho I haven't had ms as bad as you I found camomile tea helped settle my stomach a lot and managed to eat my meals, followed by a mug of camomile tea.
I don't know if it will help you much but its worth a try.

HTH
Philippa

Newbarnsleygirl Fri 01-Apr-05 09:04:22

I found the only thing I could eat was fruit especially oranges and apples.
Also rich tea biscuits I could sometimes manage.
If you go to your local chemist and get some of the travel sickness bands. They look like sweat bands and have a little button on the inside. They really did help me and you can get some ginger sweets from health food shops, if you can't manage them try ginger biscuits. Also plenty of water.

triceratops Fri 01-Apr-05 09:28:19

You have a very rude nickname chacha - it refers to ladies bits in our house .

Nothing helped with my pregnancy sickness. I even had to get up in the night to be sick. It feels horrible. Apparantly it does no harm to the baby. I was worried because I could not keep my preg vitamins down. I am afraid you just have to grin and bear it until you get to 12 weeks and then if you are lucky it goes away. If you get dehydrated you can be put on a drip and there are tablets you can take from the doc which help some people.

Put your feet up and have lots of rest if possible.

smellymelly Fri 01-Apr-05 09:51:11

Chacha - I must have missed your announcement!!!
I have been off mumsnet for a while...too busy.

Just wanted to say a big CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Getting through the 1st few weeks, is hard. Last time it was chicken cup a soup that helped me, the time before that it was cold chocolate milkshakes! Oh and I wore the sea bands on my wrist 24 hours a day.

alux Fri 01-Apr-05 09:58:08

Twinings has a lemon and ginger tea which is calming to the tummy. In the last trimester it is also a good substitute for regular tea as many get heartburn and acid reflux then. ME!!

There is a ginger cordial at Holland & Barretts of which I have drunk enough for the rest of my life.

*I also ate Doritos lightly salted maize crisps. (Vomiting affects the amt of sodium in the blood stream and makes you lethargic so it is a good thing to eat a bit more salt now.) Remember that banana is also high in potassium which is the other mineral that vomiting depletes so causes lethargy.

*I had avocado and a slice of toast for bkfast. Again, put a bit of salt and pepper and (lime juice - optional) on top. This is a popular light snack in Mexico.

*Try baking or boiling sweet potato. Tastes great with a bit of ground cinnamon. I think it is high in magnesium - which again helps combat morning sickness.

*Avocado and sweet potato are high in minerals and vitamins as well as easily digestible.

I really really enjoyed fruits esp melons, and loved drinking grenadine (pomegranate) cordial. Both have a light and cooling tastes.

coppertop Fri 01-Apr-05 10:16:35

Dh bought me the seabands. I didn't see how they could possibly work but they definitely worked for me. Ginger biscuits helped too - although I have to say that I haven't been able to face one since.

Congratulations!

alux Fri 01-Apr-05 10:35:33

Oh, GP told me that the fetus will get all the nutrition it needs before you get any. so don't worry about baby not getting enough.

Jackmummy Fri 01-Apr-05 16:24:38

I'm preg with number 2 and have been horribly sick every day. With ds it lasted for 5 months! Basically there is no cure, all you can do is try all the suggested remidies. I tried all the usual and forked out for acupunture... still sick.
I was getting really down with it, especially coping with a toddler, so I went to my gp. This will prob get me some nasty feedback but I want you to know your options.... I have been given some pills that seem to be working. The first lot i tried didn't so I went back. I spoke to my gp at length about concerns for my baby and he assured me that there is no risk. He said he wouldn't be able to prescribe them if there was. He was very reassuring and said that different things work for different women etc.
Good luck and I hope that your sickness clears up soon. x

ChaCha Sat 02-Apr-05 07:51:23

Hi everyone and thanks for all your advice, I really appreciate it.
Hey Smellymelly...nice to see you

My head is constantly down the toilet or on a pillow, am going to give the ginger biscuits a try. Thanks all x

franke Sat 02-Apr-05 08:07:55

ChaCha - are you able to get some time off work or negotiate a later start? I remember that knackered feeling very well - it really is debilitating. I hope you get some relief from the sickness, but you also need to rest as much as you can. If you can't cut your hours at work on your breaks and on your days off DON'T DO ANYTHING! (Your employer should be able to offer you somewhere to lie down). If you can at least feel a little less tired, you might feel a little less stressed about dealing with the sickness.
Good luck xx

smellymelly Sat 02-Apr-05 20:52:43

Katts Mon 04-Apr-05 14:51:44

Sorry you're feeling so bad ChaCha. I had 24 hour nausea from about week 5-10 when it just ended as suddenly as it started. I found that it was related to my blood sugar. The second my blood sugar fell I just went absolutely loopy. I tried the sea bands, but they didn't work for me. I just tried to constantly have something to eat - preferable oat cakes, or toast. Bland was best. Avocado on toast was good. So were bacon sandwiches. I couldn't touch vegetables or fish. I know it's really hard to feel so rotten, but it will get better and probably sooner than you think. At 9 weeks I really felt like I couldn't go own and then it just ended. Hand in there!

alicatsg Mon 04-Apr-05 14:59:07

Anna's Ginger Thin biscuits worked best for me. And I coyuldn't move in the morning until someone told me about this - last thing at night slice a lemon and a finger width piece of ginger into chunks and put 3-4 bits of ginger and 2 lemon slices into a mug. Cover with boiling water and let sit until cool/cold by your bed. Sip it when you wake up and then eat something like brown toast and no butter.

Also I carried a lemon oil thing which I'd sniff at when I got a big wave of it. It does go eventually.

Don't worry re nutrition - I ate next to nothing (except cheese and pickle sandwiches on white bread) for weeks.

get your dh/dp to cook and deal with anything that sets you off. use mouthwash not toothpaste till your tummy is settled each day.

hang in there, it'll go soon./

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now