Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Need help quickly on essentials

(11 Posts)
brookeslay Fri 09-Jan-09 14:34:29

Due to previous traumas and baby loses and the two years to concieve this one I didn`t have the 20week scan as it would make no difference to my decision to give birth.

Though time moved on i had a fetal wellbeing scan which they said everything was normal not sure how accurate they are but everything was big on screen.

So instead of the 1 in 2 chance of having a problem its seems this one is okay ( again with the not wholly believing) I haven`t bought anything yet though do have a list.

So what is the bare minimum I should buy ?

many thanks

crokky Fri 09-Jan-09 14:37:00

I'm sorry for your losses.

I would get a carseat so you can get the baby home. And a moses basket for the baby to sleep in. Nappies and baby gros and vests, cotton wool to change nappies. If you live near shops, you can just send people to get stuff for you. even a buggy - you can just go to mothercare and pick them straight up.

crokky Fri 09-Jan-09 14:37:39

(I meant if you don't want to get the buggy straight away, it isn't a problem) I ddin't write it very well!

Lizzylou Fri 09-Jan-09 14:38:28

Agree with Crokky.
Sorry for your losses.
Please don't worry, good luck and enjoy your little one smile

MrsHappy Fri 09-Jan-09 14:41:17

Somewhere for the baby to sleep
4 fitted sheets for whatever it sleeps in
a couple of blankets

A car seat if you need one

Some method of transporting the baby - a sling or a pram

A few all in ones with feet (say 6)
6 vests with poppers between the legs
a jumper or cardigan
a hat

Bottles, formula and steriliser if you don't plan to breastfeed

nappies
cotton wool
olive oil for baby's skin

Best of luck. I know the feeling of not wanting to jinx things, but you don't need masses of stuff for a new baby. The above are the things I would ideally want to have on day one, but in truth babies only really need to be warm, fed and to have cuddles.

rainbowdays Fri 09-Jan-09 14:59:37

Sorry for your losses, I hope and pray that this time things will go well for you.

If you really want bare minimum, then you do not have to get the moses basket or anything for the baby to sleep in until you come out of hospital.

For hospital you will need minimum: 3 babygros, 3 vests, and a hat, one packet of 1st size nappies, and some cotton wool. You will need blankets for the baby to be brought home in, plus possibly a baby cardigan.

You will need the car seat sorted to ensure that it fits your car, unless you are travelling on public transport.

Any more that is needed in terms of clothes or other baby essentials can be bought in by whoever is visiting you afterwards. All other things like any bottles or buggy/pram as other here have said, could be left until you are back home.

I wish you all the best.

brookeslay Fri 09-Jan-09 15:06:36

Thanks crokky,Lizzylou and MrsHappy. Thanks for your understanding my Oh is on cloud nine and i`m strangely blank must be shock or delayed reaction.

I have got a maxi cabrio seat on my list. A moses basket. pram sheets do they do special moses basket blankets ??.

I hope to breastfeed so maybe some pads and cream. Need to get a good nursing bra any suggestions ???? i`m quite big naturally bustwise and so need one that is suitble to give at least some support.

b

brookeslay Fri 09-Jan-09 15:08:09

thank you for the lovely words rainbowdays ( what a beautiful name )

Lizzylou Fri 09-Jan-09 15:32:29

Kamilosan nipple cream is very good (baby can breastfeed after you've applied it), I found it to be a lifesaver.
I got my nursing bras from M&S, I still wear them at night (it is 2 years since I breastfed!), just to give some support. They are very comfy.
I think they come in packs of 2.

You will get some bits in your Bounty pack, like nappy cream etc.
You can get moses basket sheets (Mothercare/Kiddicare?), or if you are handy you could adapt some normal sheets.

Take care and I wish you all the very best, am looking forward to seeing you on here later on asking advce on newborns smile

iwantitnow Fri 09-Jan-09 16:24:59

Bravado bras - I wouldn't wear anything else make a huge difference compared to the bras on the high street. They come in S, M, M+ sizes so that they can last you during pregnancy, post birth and beyond. This time I've just bought some new Bravado bras while pregnant knowing I can continue using them for breastfeeding. I did BF my DD for nearly 2 years and the Bravado bras had fallen apart by then. I would buy at least 3 bras.

I would buy a breastpump - I never expressed milk for DD to drink but very handy when engorged, when baby decides to sleep more but your boobs don't realise!

Take care and good luck.

purplemyrtle Fri 09-Jan-09 16:26:02

I read another post somewhere that suggested you can use a pillowcase as a moses basket sheet, just tuck the extra in.

Re nursing bras, I'm fairly big too, I found the most supportive ones were the ones called 'comfort' the nct sell on their website.

All the best, I'm sure it's very normal and understandable to be feeling a bit strange in your situation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now