Talk

Advanced search

The blue line... now what do I do?!!

(19 Posts)
AliBean Fri 02-Jan-09 22:23:09

I am pregnant!! According to two home pg tests. These are accurate and trustworthy aren't they?

What do I do next? I know I need to go to the docs and not drink or eat soft cheese. But what else? Am feeling very overwhelmed and tired as Christmas/New Year has been very busy and stressful.

Please can someone give me some sensible advice please - I am too tired to trawl through the internet!!

festivedollyx Fri 02-Jan-09 22:30:32

Make an appt to see your dr on mon he will prob send off urine sample to confirm then start the ball rolling!! congrats x

lollipopmother Fri 02-Jan-09 22:32:25

Congratulations!! I found out I was pregnant a couple of days before NY last year, it's very exciting isn't it!

What I would suggest is that you abstain from alcohol in the main, although a small glass of vino every now and again won't hurt, may even keep you sane! Steer clear of any unpasturised cheese such as Brie, reduce your Tuna intake (due to mercury), eat all meat well done, don't eat raw egg (although I did once or twice when baking cakes!), don't go fishing around in the cat litter tray and remember to take your vitamins and folic acid.

Oh and top tip - sleep whilst you can because you may well be hit with pregnancy insomnia which is a killer. Also if you're unlucky and get morning sickness don't abstain from eating, just eat little and often.

As for the doc, you should phone them and say you're pregnant and want to book an appointment for the midwife, I went to see my doc and it was a complete waste of time, she just referred me to the MW at about 8 weeks I think.

Good luck!

lollipopmother Fri 02-Jan-09 22:32:51

Oh, and they took my word for it that I was pg, they never did a test!

AliBean Fri 02-Jan-09 22:33:26

Thanks dollyx - I will do that.

Is there nothing else to think about in the meantime?

hellymelly Fri 02-Jan-09 22:36:02

just all the cute tiny outfits!

hellymelly Fri 02-Jan-09 22:36:29

hoorah for you too.

Ohforfoxsake Fri 02-Jan-09 22:36:46

Congratulations! grin

first thing to do is... nothing really. This is a really busy time for development and it can really take it out of you, so relax.

Our doctors say the home tests are so accurate they don't even bother re-testing.

Make an appointment with the GP and you'll get into the 'system'. That's all really.

Of course you could pour over books and start choosing names. This is my favourite option grin

NotanOtter Fri 02-Jan-09 22:37:08

congratulations! Take some folic acid if you are not already

AliBean Fri 02-Jan-09 22:38:15

Thankyou Lollipopmother, that is very helpful. How do I know when 8 weeks is? Is it 8 weeks from now (when I did the test) or something else?

I am new to this - can you tell!blush

pavlovthecat Fri 02-Jan-09 22:39:26

My Dr did not test, I did 2 home tests and Dr said 'well, you are pg then!' And nothing happened for a while, then I threw up, and continued to do so until I gave birth grin

festivedollyx Fri 02-Jan-09 22:41:41

Wow my dr wouldnt entertain me till the urine sample came back! and i was 9 weeks before i went to him!!

as soon as i got the pos result from him mw got in contact with me next day with my booking appt i didnt have to call her at all!

AliBean Fri 02-Jan-09 22:42:37

Thanks for all the tips - we already have names planned but the shopping planning sounds fun...although a bit scary after very expensive christmas!!

At what stage is it sensible it to start buying stuff?? Also what would you buy new and what is ok to have secondhand?

festivedollyx Fri 02-Jan-09 22:46:02

im 25 week now btw. I live in scotland so maybe different here.

champagnesupernova Fri 02-Jan-09 22:47:59

Congrats!
You may want to contact your local NCT group about ante natal classes (esp if you're in a busy/popular area) ASAP.

I couldn't get on to mine as was too late (at 7 weeks pghmm in central London!) and this is a way most MNers make RL "Mummy" friends
HTH

Frizbe Fri 02-Jan-09 22:49:08

smile congratualtions

callmeovercautious Fri 02-Jan-09 22:49:21

Congratulations smile

Another one here whos GP trusted my word. No one checked I was actually PG until they scanned me at 13 weeks.

Morning sickness "classic" is 6 weeks to 12 weeks. Mine was to the book. I was not sick in the morning though, just more and more nausea as the day went on then sick as I went to bed (I think it was brushing my teeth brought it on).

Take your vitamins and call the surgery for an appointment with the midwife. Mine came out to me for the first visit. Then I had to call the hospital for the 12 week scan.

TBH I was dissapointed they did not make more fuss! I remember feeling like I was the only person ever to get PG and that they should all be fawning all over me!

Just wait until LO arrives, I remember watching Sky news and thinking that I was a much better story to be covering grin

goldFAQinsenceandmyrrh Fri 02-Jan-09 22:50:24

you can ring your GP, but if you're pretty sure when your last period was, and have a system likes our drs (where you can't book more than 4 weeks in advance) they'll probably tell you to ring back in a couple of week for an appointment,

Ohforfoxsake Fri 02-Jan-09 22:53:20

You count it from the first day of your last period BTW smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now