Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Bloody cold!

(10 Posts)
dabihp Mon 28-Mar-05 22:18:24

Any ideas for cold and flu relief during pregnancy. Have awful cough and sore throat... dont want to take normal medicine...

ionesmum Mon 28-Mar-05 23:04:13

You can take paracetamol.

Alternatives include hot lemon and honey drinks, or ice lollies. Steamy rooms also help. If you only have a few eeks to go you can use lavender essential oli which helps to fight the infection and also helps you to sleep..

Lots of luck, it's miserable I know!

ionesmum Mon 28-Mar-05 23:04:35

Er, few weeks.

dabihp Tue 29-Mar-05 09:41:56

What about phlegmy coughs?

natural remedies?

ionesmum Tue 29-Mar-05 20:31:13

I think for coughs the advice is much the same. The only other thing would be something like Olbas Oil used in a vapouriser but I don't know if that is safe for pregnancy, you'd need to check with a pharmacist. Even things like cough sweets are often not allowed. Why not ask your midwife? They often have lots of info. And treatment like reflexology might be safe.

Kiwifruit Wed 30-Mar-05 15:08:57

I got some cough medicine from a pharmacist in the States, and showed it to my Doctor here yesterday, who said it was OK to take, but to try and minimise how much I took. It's one that doesn't contain alcohol. Was trying to avoid it, but have been coughing so much that I've been vomiting (lovely), and couldn't stand it anymore. Have just looked on the internet, and most sites advise not taking anything (including throat drops, which Dr also said was OK). Now I'm having an attack of the bad mummy guilts. .

On the up side, the cough has calmed down, so will avoid the cough medicine from now on.

ionesmum Wed 30-Mar-05 20:25:20

The pharmacist wouldn't even allow me to buy a bottle of lemon and glyerine when I was p/g!

dabihp Thu 31-Mar-05 22:18:36

now have a really sore throat as well as a cough... apart from cough sweets and salt water to rinse with cant see what else to take (was drinking honey, lemon and hot water, but gives me heartburn)

How long would u leave a sore throat b4 going to the doctor?

ionesmum Fri 01-Apr-05 23:42:09

You could have tonsilitis. Maybe you need antibiotics. If you can, have a look with a torch to see if you have white spots on your tonsils - if so go to the doc. I know how you feel about wanting to use natural remedies, I feel the same but I did need antibiotics when pg with dd1 and at the end of the day you need to be well.

kama Sat 02-Apr-05 01:37:10

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: