Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fetal movements fear - 20 weeks with a baby who does have a problem. What's normal?

(18 Posts)
mrsgboring Fri 19-Dec-08 13:41:24

I am feeling movements today, but they are fainter and more infrequent than the very strong movements I've had in the 3 days before that. That's normal, right? How is anyone else experiencing these things?

Background is, this is my 3rd pregnancy. 1st baby stillborn at term for no apparent reason. DS healthy, good mover but I tried not to think too much about movements until he got past 24 weeks as there's nothing to be done before then, really. This baby has a problem with its lungs, which could cause it to into heart failure, but so far seems to be okay. But it means I've totally lost track of what normal is.

I really really don't want to start down the track of monitoring. If the baby didn't have a diagnosed problem, I wouldn't be worrying at all. But we have to wait until Jan to find out how the baby's tumour has progressed and therefore what its likely chances are, so there really isn't much point in investigating before then. It's just of course every change makes me wonder and worry.

Sorry this is all very depressing. I just want to know what's normal now.

mrsgboring Fri 19-Dec-08 13:43:52

Sorry, what I mean by "going down the track of monitoring" is asking to go into the hospital for a CTG - I think the baby is too young at this stage anyway, and couldn't be delivered if the result were worrying. And I have DS to consider too.

maddylou Fri 19-Dec-08 13:44:32

Sorry I don`t know but thinking of you and wishing you Good Luck

Lulumama Fri 19-Dec-08 13:46:42

i am afraid i don;t know what is normal, but i do know that if you are worried, sitting at home won;t help, can you call the Midwife or consultant and ask them teh question

I am so sorry for this worry for you

i think you need more answers than MN can give right now

WhenFRUITYgotstuckupthechimney Fri 19-Dec-08 13:47:09

If it's any consolation, I'm 27 weeks and baby ha really slowed down. He had a big wriggle last week and for the last few days I've barely felt a thing.
HTH {{{}}}

MadamAntlers Fri 19-Dec-08 13:47:09

Poor you! It all sounds very draining. At 20 weeks they are still small enough to turn into a position where the movements are less noticeable. I certainly remember periods of a few days at a time at around your stage when DD would be noticeably quieter. Do you have a doppler? Would it help to be able to listen in on the h/b yourself?

TotalChaos Fri 19-Dec-08 13:49:44

Sorry you are going through such a worrying time. Hopefully it's just because of your baby being in a different position, but I agree with Lulu, phone up the midwife or consultant and explain your concerns and what you feel about monitoring, and see what they say.

missorinoco Fri 19-Dec-08 13:51:07

i'm afraid i don't know what's normal either. i would second what lulmama says. your midwife or consultant will be able to advise you better.

good luck.

It could just be that your babys turned around and has its back to your front so your feeeling less ?

Monitoring might not be a bad thing if your going to be worrying about it which you obviously are, i really feel for you the uncertainty is the worst bit isnt it

My monitoring at 26 weeks doesnt involve going on the ctg monitor as such, they just use a doppler and i have one myself which i use at home and is an absolute godsend. Maybe you could get one ?

mrsgboring Fri 19-Dec-08 13:58:07

Thank you all. Lulumama, I've been told just to wait it out till next scan by the consultants etc. There is nothing to be done at this stage, just go home and carry on as normal.

Before the baby was diagnosed with a problem, I was told not to think about movements at all till 24 weeks and then I should feel 10 movements in 10 hours.

I might see if I can get a MW to listen to the HB. I don't have a doppler of my own. I think for me it would only fuel my anxieties by making me feel even more responsible for the baby's wellbeing than I already do - i.e. did I check often enough? Did I do it right? Did I miss something? I'm totally untrained with one after all.

I'm sure the midwife would listen and that might make you feel less stressed, or at least give you some respite from it for a little while.

mrsgboring Fri 19-Dec-08 14:48:57

Feeling much better now, as the baby has just moved a few times really strongly. I kind of knew what I'd felt was totally normal. I will get someone to do an extra antenatal, but it doesn't help that MW is off sick at the moment and I'd probably end up with Incredibly Annoying Midwife instead.

mamakim Fri 19-Dec-08 14:56:07

Hi mrsg. I'm 20 weeks and movements are much more sporadic with this baby than they were with my ds. When i fell down the stairs last week, i coincidently felt no movement for a day, when i had my scan the sonographer said her back was facing outwards so she was kicking internally iyswim. Since then i've had days with very little movement. I have put it down to her probably being in that position again. Glad your lo has been kicking today.

Yay for big kicks

mrsgboring Fri 19-Dec-08 15:01:04

Hi mamakim - sorry to hear you fell down the stairs. My mw told me the same thing, that it really depends on positioning how much you can feel.

brettgirl2 Fri 19-Dec-08 18:04:46

Mine is erratic too - yesterday she spent the whole day wriggling up and down the edge of my stomach today she is further in so I have felt a lot less. I felt nothing the day of my 20 week scan and the baby was really curled up although still moving loads.

beautifulgirls Fri 19-Dec-08 22:36:48

I have no words of wisdom for you, but I wanted to wish you and your baby all the best and I hope that everything turns out just fine for you.

mrsgboring Sat 20-Dec-08 16:57:22

Thanks brettgirl and beautifulgirls. All okayish here today - movements seem strong enough to me anyway. Exhausting being on constant fetus-watch though.

smile thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now