Talk

Advanced search

baby has enlarged bladder at 12 weeks....anyone had similar?

(6 Posts)
Joseyjo Thu 24-Mar-05 18:34:49

had my nt scan today, which was fine except that the baby's bladder is swollen. apparently 90% fix themselves and 10% required intervention.
i really need to hear that someone else has been in this situation... we have to wait until 2 weeks tomorrow to see whether it has improved or not and then decide about invasive tests as it is a marker for chromosome defects. don't know what to do and am out of my head with worry....
just for background, my first baby died of a non-hereditary (ie random) chromosomal defect so am totally panicked.
please help...

Azure Thu 24-Mar-05 19:09:40

Joseyjo, no advice but sorry to hear about this concern and about your first baby. Try if you possibly can to focus on the fact that 90% of babys with this condition fix themselves.

foxinsocks Thu 24-Mar-05 19:19:14

joseyjo, a lady who lives in my street had this with her third child (now 5 months old). They monitored it throughout pregnancy - when the baby was born, he had to have a kidney scan to check that everything was in order (sorry, don't know exact details as to what they were looking for) and he had to go on trimethoprim (standard antibiotic for urine infections) for 3 months as a precaution. He's just had a second scan and apparently everything is fine. They were told it was quite common but I don't know the whole ins and outs of it all.

mummytosteven Thu 24-Mar-05 19:24:18

another MNetter, fastasleep had something similar with her son (he's just over 1) It was picked up that he had enlarged kidneys at one of her scans. IIRC they recommended she have an amnio but she didn't want that, and just went for further scans. Everything was OK apart from the enlarged kidneys.

When he was a few months old it turned out that one of his kidneys wasn't fully functioning and was starting to affect the other kidney, so he had an operation when he was about 4/5 months old to put that right. He was on trimethoprim for several months, but doesn't need that anymore. He just needs to go back for 6 monthly scans, and not eat too much salt. He's doing fine tho.

Joseyjo Fri 25-Mar-05 21:48:14

thanks all of you.
am trying to be positive today. had a bit of a freak out this morning, but as dh pointed out - i can't be mental for 2 weeks waiting for the next scan as it is not good for me or baby.
never been very good at waiting, but will have to improve.

HappyMumof2 Sat 26-Mar-05 13:54:54

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now