Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Recommended books about new babies for DS (2yo)

(10 Posts)
jaz2 Tue 16-Dec-08 21:12:38

I'm expecting my 2nd DC in late Feb, and have only recently told DS that "there is a baby in my tummy". He loves books and I'd like recommendations for one to get him that would help us explain to him what will happen over the next few months.

I've seen a few books on Amazon, but can't work out which one would be suitable for a family who wants to keep the arrival of the new baby "low key" (ie we're not going to be repainting nurserys), and have left it to fairly late to bring up the subject.

Beccabump Tue 16-Dec-08 21:41:51

( creeping in for recommendations for DD who is also just 2!! )

hkz Tue 16-Dec-08 21:44:08

I have a 20 month DD and am expecting DS in a few weeks. Found a good book on amazon... 'My New Baby' by Annie Kubler.
Its pretty low key and is a picture book, so you showing a toddler and the day to day of a new baby..e.g. helping with bath time, having supper together, mum feeding baby with toddler etc.
Lots of the other ones I've seen have been a bit sickly or o.t.t. This one seems quite simple and you can supply the narrative and introduce the idea of the new baby through the pics.
The author has another picture book which deals with the idea of pregnancy which is also good...can't remember the name of it though and can't seem to find it in the mess that surrounds me!

hkz Tue 16-Dec-08 21:47:50

Here is a link for 'My new baby' www.amazon.co.uk/My-New-Baby-All-Day/dp/0859539741/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229463929&sr=8-6 and this is for 'Waiting for baby'

www.amazon.co.uk/Waiting-Baby-All-Annie-Kubler/dp/0859539733/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=12294639 29&sr=8-5

eidsvold Tue 16-Dec-08 21:50:08

i got one for the dds when dd3 was on her way called Daddy's having a horse. They loved it. They were 4 and almost 2.

littleboyblue Tue 16-Dec-08 21:51:43

I bought a really good book for ds (16m) the other day.
It's called There's a House Inside My Mummy by Giles Andreae and Vanessa Cabban. It rhymes so easy to read.
I also bought an Usborne First Experience book called The New Baby, but it was a bit too much for ds as he is young. Would def recommend the first one though

mazzystartled Tue 16-Dec-08 21:53:04

ds loved - and still loves nearly 2 year's on - India Knight's "the baby" [...her name is florence, but I sometimes call her poo-poo head]. it's more about having a sibling than pregnancy though

MrsJoshLyman Tue 16-Dec-08 21:58:29

"There's a house inside my mummy" is really good - amusing verse and lovely, colourful pictures. Plus we had a Topsy and Tim one about a new baby which was quite nice - more about dealing with a new sibling than a bump though. But definitely pretty 'low key'.

ThePregnantMerryYuleWitch Tue 16-Dec-08 22:03:10

Message withdrawn

jaz2 Tue 16-Dec-08 22:11:45

Excellent, thank you for all the recommendations: I'll take a look at all those you suggest.
Just because I'm sticking my head in the sand over the imminent arrival doesn't mean to say it's good to try to do the same with DS!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now