Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Any help please? Co codamol?

(12 Posts)
dinkymum Mon 15-Dec-08 22:09:29

im 31 + weeks pregnant and after bronchitis and a virus and pulling muscles I then slipped and managed to trap a nerve in my ribs and find myself in a lot of pain. The doctors given me co codamol with the sentiment sometimes needs must... but is it really safe? a friend says it could cause the baby breathing problems. I really am in a lot of discomfort and pain and pretty much struggling with day to day life but I am obviously concerned about any ill affects to the baby.
Any help, advise or experiences would be really appreciated!

Many thanks in advance xxxx

1stMrsF Mon 15-Dec-08 22:14:49

No one can tell you that anything is safe to take in pregnancy because there is no research (bit unethical to put pregnant women in clinical trials...) and anything that you take will cross the placenta, however, you have to balance the potential risks against your own health - not sleeping and getting sick might be worse for the baby than a short period of taking the pain killers and getting better. I do know several people who have taken codeine under doctors advice whilst pregnant and everything was fine. Hope that helps just a little and that you are healed up soon smile

merrykittymas Mon 15-Dec-08 22:17:08

I have taken co-codamol in pregnancy for SPD when it got really bad and I couldn't sleep.

Agree with everything Mrs1st has said

dinkymum Mon 15-Dec-08 22:19:31

thanks for your quick reponse I am getting proper miserable with it now and keep moaning! lol the doctor said it might make the baby sleepy. but im not sure i can not take them as it seems to be getting worse and dread sleep time.

dinkymum Mon 15-Dec-08 22:20:37

at the moment im drinking a cup if tea and its hurting to lift the cup... I dont think i have much choice do i!?

merrykittymas Mon 15-Dec-08 22:23:55

Personally I would take them and finish my tea and then off to bed, a good nights sleep will do you the world of good.

Be warned though they make me really woozy.

lizzie9442 Mon 15-Dec-08 22:29:04

Hi, I took this when i had badtooth ache while pregnant. The doctor told me I could take parecetamol and co-codamol and said they were fine to take while pregnant so i wouldn't worry.

constancereader Mon 15-Dec-08 22:34:46

I was given morphine when I had a kidney stone during my pg. I would take them if you need to, it sounds like you are in terrible pain.

dinkymum Mon 15-Dec-08 23:36:44

I have taken some I just hope they help with some peaceful sleep tonight! thanks again for all the replies! xx

TinselBaublesMistletoe Mon 15-Dec-08 23:58:47

paracetamol is safe, codeine is naturally occuring so is safe too. i was told to take it like a course for my back, it didn't help so i'm on co-dydramol -the next step up.

i'm regularly given them in hospital too for pgp or contractions.

dinkymum Tue 16-Dec-08 03:46:05

thanks again they did really help and managed to get really comfy and without pain for first night in ages it seems but DD woke up and was sick still not sure why. we're now having a cuddle on the sofa as she's struggling to settle. Aparently I was pretty passed out for a bit there though according to DH lol. They'll prob have worn off by the time I get back to bed! Maybe I should give up sleep lol

Anyone else awake?

saltiresaysSANTA Tue 16-Dec-08 07:45:50

I'm probably a bit late to thisthread! I was in a lot of pain during my second pregnancy. I ahd a chest infection and my idiot GP wouldn't give me antibiotics (it developed into bronchitis ). I went to the maternity unti as I was so convinced I was in labour, I was crying with the pain. The doctor there told me to go to Boots and get co-codamol over the counter. They wouldn't give me them. Even though DH was there and told them the doctor had said to take them. I ended up 2 days later going back with a prescription for co-codamol. It was the only way I could get them to give me the meds!

Hope you feel better soon

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: