Talk

Advanced search

So, why the need to go to loo so often when only a few weeks pg?

(14 Posts)
MarxAndSparks Mon 15-Dec-08 15:20:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LiffeyCanSpellGeansaiNollaig Mon 15-Dec-08 15:23:38

Heaven only knows, but I had this badly. From the minute I peed on the stick my bladder was the size of a pea.

whomovedmychocolate Mon 15-Dec-08 15:25:56

It's to do with high progesterone levels. I had to come off the pill because it did the same to me blush.

LiffeyCanSpellGeansaiNollaig Mon 15-Dec-08 15:31:25

Well they sometimes give progesterone to prevent mscrg so touch wood OP! looks like everythings ticking nicely !

mrsbabookaloo Mon 15-Dec-08 15:33:43

Was going to start this thread myself today. I'm 13 weeks and I feel it's only going to get worse as baby presses more on my bladder. I basically feel like I always need to go and I'm sick of getting up twice a night already.

Boo hoo. Poor me. And I'm still sick every morning and now I've started getting headaches.

whomovedmychocolate Mon 15-Dec-08 15:35:44

Also cystitis is quite common in pregnancy (cranberry juice does the trick) so keep an eye on extra urination for other symptoms. But the fact that you are having horrible pregnancy symptoms is great if you are worried about the pregnancy. I found constant vomiting very reassuring when I was carrying DS as I'd also had a MC very shortly beforehand.

MarxAndSparks Mon 15-Dec-08 15:52:42

VerifiedLU4097 Mon 15-Dec-08 16:25:25

I haven't noticed any difference yet- but my office is quite close to the loo, so thats a bonus!

lastboxoftampons Mon 15-Dec-08 16:36:06

I've read that it's because, although you're not showing yet, your uterus does expand quite a bit to accomodate the growing baby. In the second trimester, your uterus ascends above your pelvic bone and outward, giving you a bump, but in the first trimester, it's still within the pelvic cavity and it crowds your other organs, including your bladder which makes you have to pee more often.

mrsbabookaloo Mon 15-Dec-08 16:39:52

Thanks lastboxoftampons...I was sort of on the way to that theory myself.

Love your name.

MarxAndSparks Mon 15-Dec-08 16:56:02

lastboxoftampons Mon 15-Dec-08 17:27:24

No problem Mrsbabookaloo and thanks about the name!

I just looked it up and apparently, a non-pregnant uterus is the size of a plum. At 6 weeks it's roughly the size of an egg, at 8 weeks a small orange and at 10 weeks a large orange. So it's probably about 4 times its size by the time your first trimester is done. No wonder your bladder is squished! smile

CoteDAzur Mon 15-Dec-08 17:36:43

I didn't have this with DD until the very end of pregnancy, and don't have it now either (I'm 16 weeks).

I would suggest it's psychological, but what do I know? smile

1stMrsF Mon 15-Dec-08 22:21:52

Your uterus is low down in your pelvis in the early stages, and therefore presses on your bladder. As it expands it rises out so that in the second trimester, you don't have to go so often, and then when the baby gets bigger and there is less space, it starts to press on your bladder again in the late stages. So it's normal but it will get better in the middle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now