Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Gap between pregnancies...

(13 Posts)
Flick Mon 17-Mar-03 14:09:35

DS is now six and a half months and am very broody. Stopped breastfeeding in December and never went back onto contraception so effectively have tried with no success for 2 (long) cycles. How long has it taken others to get pregnant after their first child?

bundle Mon 17-Mar-03 14:12:47

we planned to have another once dd was 2...started a couple of months after she turned 2 and it happened that month - just good luck I expect but had cut down on drinking and started taking folic acid before conception. good luck!

threeangels Mon 17-Mar-03 14:34:31

I have 3 and one on the way. First 3 were conceived first month. Fourth was conceived on 2 month. Tried one month didnt work then the next month of no trying ended up conceiving.

Flick Mon 17-Mar-03 14:40:37

Oh dear - well we have been trying 3 months already and my cycles are very long - have been 33, 34 and 36 days long.

threeangels Mon 17-Mar-03 14:47:16

Hello Flick - Three months trying isnt really long. It's bound to happen soon. A normal couple can take 6 mos to 1 yr. I know it can seem like an eternity though. Good luck

PandaBear Mon 17-Mar-03 14:55:29

Flick - also may take a while for your cycle to settle down after breastfeeding. Try not to worry too much - the more stressed you get about it the harder it will be to conceive!! Enjoy trying and good luck!!!

bundle Mon 17-Mar-03 15:08:25

flick, my cycles are that long too!

mum2toby Mon 17-Mar-03 15:13:12

Flick - I was VERY broody whilst ds was a baby and would have loved to have had another (at the time)... I'm still so painfully broody, but ds is 21mths old and I'm glad I have waited!! I can't imagine having a baby as well as a toddler (I'm perhaps a wimp!!). 3 months isn't that long really and maybe it's your bodies way of saying NOT YET!!

Good luck and keep us posted. BTW - my cycles are long too (32 days)... glad to hear I'm not the only one!

Demented Mon 17-Mar-03 15:19:35

I have long irregular cycles too and it took us 6 months to conceive DS1 and 9 months to conceive DS2.

Flick Mon 17-Mar-03 15:24:29

As I was on the pill for ten years before having ds1 and he was conceived when I was on the pill, I cannot remember how long my cycle used to be. Anyway, fingers crossed for this month!

Marina Mon 17-Mar-03 15:28:17

Flick, I b/f for longer than you did and it took me 18 months to conceive Thomas, whom we sadly lost at 21 weeks. I got pregnant with this baby only three months after losing Tom. What I'm trying to say is in any one person it can vary a lot and it certainly takes a lot of bodies a while to settle down after b/f.
Definitely recommend charting and everything you can do to make yourself feel "in control" of this situation, which can be fraught at times.
I can honestly say that not worrying about it helped in our case, easier said than done I know. But third time round I was so convinced we'd never have another child that I was quite relaxed about the whole thing. Whereas I was very uptight when trying for Tom.

Flick Mon 17-Mar-03 15:36:37

Thanks - I know a lot of people have much worse times than me and I should be thankful that I have a lovely ds1. But am really really keen to have no 2 asap

Melly Mon 17-Mar-03 19:44:01

Flick, agree with PandaBear, try to relax and I'm sure it will happen soon.....enjoy the practice in the meantime I had dd at 36 and fell pregnant quite quickly about 7 months later which sadly ended in a miscarriage. Happily I got pregnant again two months later and am due in about 3 weeks, but I have to say that I've found this pregnancy a long haul, probably a combination of being "older" and having to look after a young toddler rather than put my feet up or have a quick snooze like I did when I was expecting dd, which makes a huge difference. Having said that though I'm glad there will only be 20/21 months between dd and new baby.
Wishing you the best of luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: