Talk

Advanced search

Obesity and miscarriages?

(6 Posts)
cg3 Wed 23-Mar-05 09:40:53

Is there a link at all? Just curious, looking for another thing to worry about!

Tinker Wed 23-Mar-05 09:59:21

I've had a miscarriage as have quite a lot of women I know. Can't see any link to their body size tbh. Some are positively skinny, some very fat

Nemo1977 Wed 23-Mar-05 10:07:11

I have had 3mcs one while skinny one while medium and one while obese...but i also had Ds at the same weight as I was for the last miscarriage. Really dont think there is a link.

mummytosteven Wed 23-Mar-05 10:09:03

surprisingly there seems to be a link between male obesity and a woman's risk of miscarriage:-

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn4286

llkjj Wed 23-Mar-05 10:37:33

I think being obese makes it more likely a woman's hormones are out of kilter such that she may have trouble conceiving, or be at higher risk of PCOS... whereas I think most miscarriages happen because of malformations of the embryo, so obesity not a big factor.

llkjj Wed 23-Mar-05 10:40:08

ps -- obesity in the man could be a factor if it's related to his hormones & whether his sperm are dividing properly. Men's sperm are constantly being created and thus very prone to mutations, whereas woman's eggs are formed before birth, though, not affected by her weight as an adult.

Not an expert, just thinking out loud. Tamum?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now