Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

How many weeks have you got to be to hear the heartbeat???

(18 Posts)
jessicasmummy Mon 21-Mar-05 18:36:15

had a docs appointment today, and to put my mind at rest he listened into baby - found heartbeat eventually. the thing is, according to my dates, i am not due til 26th October - making me just 9 weeks, yet, midwife believes im more like 12/13 weeks..... my best mate reckons i must be over 12 weeks for doc to have heard heartbeat??! Says the norm is between 12 and 16 weeks for this?! Ive got a dating scan on thursday so will know for sure then, just wondered if anyone else could assist?????

NomDePlume Mon 21-Mar-05 18:37:07

I heard DD's at 14 weeks.

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 21-Mar-05 18:37:39

From just reading the title of your thread I immeadiatly thought 12 weeks.

How exciting if you are!

jessicasmummy Mon 21-Mar-05 18:39:26

well i hope so, but just not sure! Just confused as pg tests i took before the small pathetic bleed i had in january were all negative?!

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 21-Mar-05 18:40:48

You'll find out on thursday though. Have you got a bump yet?

jessicasmummy Mon 21-Mar-05 18:41:25

yeah a little bit, but because of only having jess 7 months ago, i still had a bit of baby fat anyway.... definately more solid though!

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 21-Mar-05 18:46:11

Ooohh, I'm excited for you!

My midwife said I was big when I was about 30 weeks. She thought I was 4 weeks further on and by that time I was definatly ready to hear news like that.

I got refered back to the hospital but they said it was a false alarm. Needless to say I was gutted.

trinityrocks Mon 21-Mar-05 19:16:53

I can remember something about not wanting to try and listne for it before 12 weeks because it's very upsetting if you don't hear it but doesn't neccesarily (sp?) mean anything

I think I first heard this bumps heartbeat at 13 weeks ish

Hayls Mon 21-Mar-05 19:29:49

I heard the heartbeat at somewhere between 10 and 11 weeks... My scan at 20 weeks put my dates back by a week so that means it was between 9 and 10 weeks so I was and still am confused. MW did struggle to find it again the next day (so that dhcould listen in) so she came back 2 weeks later - 11/12/13 weeks, whatever!- and heard it first time
i don'tknow if that helps you or not!

fastasleep Mon 21-Mar-05 19:32:26

On scans you can 'see' a heartbeat at 6ish weeks... when just listening midwives don't tend to try before 14 weeks, 12 weeks sounds about on the cusp of hearing/not hearing one

charleepeters Mon 21-Mar-05 19:56:05

we saw and heard ds heartbeat at 6weeks, scans are the best thing for getting dates there aways pretty accurate good luck x

helsi Mon 21-Mar-05 19:57:06

I heard dd at 9 weeks.

rydercup Tue 22-Mar-05 17:20:21

Hi - I heard mine at 10 weeks with the midewife - was v surprised as didn't think would be able to!

bayleaf Fri 25-Mar-05 18:28:34

I've bought a doppler to use at home ( Neurotic?Moi?!)- it advertises that you can use it from 9 weeks - and I heard mine at 9.5 weeks

jessicasmummy Fri 25-Mar-05 19:01:05

i wasnt actually 12 wweks - my scan revealed 10 weeks today! so i was only just 9 weeks! really pleased though and little blob is doing just great!

mrsrawlings Tue 29-Mar-05 14:52:07

Hello ladies

I have my first appt with the middwife on 4th May when i'll be 12 weeks! Does anyone know if I will get to hear the heartbeat at this visit as my midwife is based at my GP's, or do I have to wait for a hospital visit??

For jessicasmummy I pretty sure you can hear the heartbeat sometimes as early as 7 weeks

Sallie Tue 29-Mar-05 15:16:51

I had my booking appointment last week (I was 15 weeks) and the m/w said that their policy is not to listen for the heartbeat until my next appointment in early may when I will be around 21/22 weeks!

Newbarnsleygirlsjustinsane Tue 29-Mar-05 15:28:20

Glad to hear everythings ok JM.

10 weeks is still a good way in though IYKWIM.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: