Talk

Advanced search

Did you show off your bump?

(42 Posts)
saintshar Sun 20-Mar-05 21:07:49

Did you show off your bump when pregnant / or do you if you are pregnant now?

I am not really talking about just wearing tight tops etc, I mean letting it all hang out so to speak!

I was thinking about it earlier when I saw a woman walking along dressed in a short tshirt, trousers and her bump inbetween. She looked very pregnant iyswim, and had lots of stretch marks to boot. (I have lots of those still!)

I just didn't think it looked 'nice' - don't know why, maybe I am old fashioned. What are your thoughts?

expatinscotland Sun 20-Mar-05 21:09:01

I kept my bump covered. I did not have stretchmarks, it's just not a look I wanted to effect.

mckenzie Sun 20-Mar-05 21:11:00

I kept my bump covered but with mostly tight fitting tops, not smock/baggy ones.

Hulababy Sun 20-Mar-05 21:11:38

I didn't flash my pg tummy. I didn't even wear tight tops - just flattering mat wear clothes. I didn't have stretch marks either.

Fimbo Sun 20-Mar-05 21:12:14

No, yeuch!! Especially as with both my pregnancies my belly-button turned inside out and was gross to look at, something I would never have inflicted on others!!!

LuvMyBaby Sun 20-Mar-05 21:13:13

I agree, it was bad enough trying to stop people from just helping themselves to feeling my bump, let alone having it on show. This is probably a very sweeping statement but all the mums ive seen showing their bumps have been young, or younger than me anyhow (ha ha!!)

maisystar Sun 20-Mar-05 21:13:35

i showed my bump off why not? think it looks great tbh. i got stretch marks at about 7 1/2 months which was october so bump was covered then!!

maisystar Sun 20-Mar-05 21:14:40

i was wondering if age was a factor too luvmy baby?? i was 22 when pg

expatinscotland Sun 20-Mar-05 21:16:35

I was 32, and yes, age was a factor in my keeping my bump covered, albeit stylishly. I gave birth in June, so didn't spend the entire summer w/a bump.

LuvMyBaby Sun 20-Mar-05 21:17:26

I have just had my first baby at 32 - an old crock in comparison !!!

Niddlynono Sun 20-Mar-05 21:23:19

Up to about 7 or 8 months I had a very neat, albeit pretty big, bump and I didn't have stretch marks so I definitely showed it off (which was during the summer). I felt beautiful, sexy and confident. Next time I doubt I'll look quite as toned though as I still haven't gone back to my pre-PG size so I'll probably keep it more under wraps.

LuvMyBaby Sun 20-Mar-05 21:39:23

Bexibooboo, how long ago were you pregnant, just interested because my ds is 12 weeks old, am now back to my pre-preg weight but definately not the same shape anymore !!!!

pixiefish Sun 20-Mar-05 21:44:38

I kept it covered too. No stretchmarks and I had a very tight neat bump (albeit a big one it was all to the front- from the rear I looked normal) but I haven't walked around with short tops on since I was a teenager and i wasn't about to start at 33

pinkdiamond Sun 20-Mar-05 21:46:29

Message withdrawn

sweetkitty Sun 20-Mar-05 21:47:24

Kept it covered at work but showed it off at weekends why not it was lovely and I miss it!! But I'm talking about a few inches of bump below a top I had a neat little bump and no stretchmarks. People used to think I was mad cos I talked to my bump all the time too

kama Sun 20-Mar-05 22:02:15

Message withdrawn

maisystar Sun 20-Mar-05 22:11:02

oh well, i am proud to be trashy

kama Sun 20-Mar-05 22:21:38

Message withdrawn

maisystar Sun 20-Mar-05 22:35:28

no, no offence at all

Niddlynono Sun 20-Mar-05 22:39:36

Luvmybaby, DS is 2.5 now and I'm still nearly a stone heavier than pre-PG although I am losing it slowly.

I never wore cropped tops but would happily wear normal tight t-shirts over my bump which exposed a few inches of flesh. I guess I'm in the trashy corner with Maisystar then .

babyburps Sun 20-Mar-05 23:42:12

luvmybaby, 12 weeks! oh my gosh! ds is now 10mths and am still 20kg heavier than pre-preg, haven't actually lost anything since birth! even tho still breastfeeding! ...oh dear! am shutting up now!

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Sun 20-Mar-05 23:45:59

Yes. When I was pregnant with DS1(12) it was an incredibly hot summer. I was so happy to be pregnant and so hot that I wore what I wanted and showed my belly. Someone told me that I was too happy with my pregnancy and how could I flaunt my bump. How do you get too happy? I was showing my bump before it got trendy. The only reason I didn't show my bump with the DTs was because I was too sick to leave the bathroom never mind get dressed enough to leave the house and flaunt!

kama Mon 21-Mar-05 00:32:17

Message withdrawn

trinityrocks Mon 21-Mar-05 08:16:15

I'm not actually showing skin but I do wear dungarees and tight tops so it is completely obvious that I am pregnant.
I am also very neat and ALL at the front so it wopuldn't really matter what I wore it's obvious! I wouldn't show skin though just because I'm not keen on that look.
I don't have stretch marks but my belly button is def. odd

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 21-Mar-05 08:56:03

I had this thing about not wearing maternity clothes because I thought they looked a bit sad so I wore normal clothes which didn't always cover my bump. My MIL didn't like it and you could tell she kept giving me disapproving looks but my bump was so neat I didn't mind.

However if I became pg again I would defo be buying mat clothes cos they are sooo nice and when I see pg women with their bumps out I'm not sure I like it (if they were anyhing like me though they probably would'nt have given a monkeys!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now