Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Did you show off your bump?

(42 Posts)
saintshar Sun 20-Mar-05 21:07:49

Did you show off your bump when pregnant / or do you if you are pregnant now?

I am not really talking about just wearing tight tops etc, I mean letting it all hang out so to speak!

I was thinking about it earlier when I saw a woman walking along dressed in a short tshirt, trousers and her bump inbetween. She looked very pregnant iyswim, and had lots of stretch marks to boot. (I have lots of those still!)

I just didn't think it looked 'nice' - don't know why, maybe I am old fashioned. What are your thoughts?

expatinscotland Sun 20-Mar-05 21:09:01

I kept my bump covered. I did not have stretchmarks, it's just not a look I wanted to effect.

mckenzie Sun 20-Mar-05 21:11:00

I kept my bump covered but with mostly tight fitting tops, not smock/baggy ones.

Hulababy Sun 20-Mar-05 21:11:38

I didn't flash my pg tummy. I didn't even wear tight tops - just flattering mat wear clothes. I didn't have stretch marks either.

Fimbo Sun 20-Mar-05 21:12:14

No, yeuch!! Especially as with both my pregnancies my belly-button turned inside out and was gross to look at, something I would never have inflicted on others!!!

LuvMyBaby Sun 20-Mar-05 21:13:13

I agree, it was bad enough trying to stop people from just helping themselves to feeling my bump, let alone having it on show. This is probably a very sweeping statement but all the mums ive seen showing their bumps have been young, or younger than me anyhow (ha ha!!)

maisystar Sun 20-Mar-05 21:13:35

i showed my bump off why not? think it looks great tbh. i got stretch marks at about 7 1/2 months which was october so bump was covered then!!

maisystar Sun 20-Mar-05 21:14:40

i was wondering if age was a factor too luvmy baby?? i was 22 when pg

expatinscotland Sun 20-Mar-05 21:16:35

I was 32, and yes, age was a factor in my keeping my bump covered, albeit stylishly. I gave birth in June, so didn't spend the entire summer w/a bump.

LuvMyBaby Sun 20-Mar-05 21:17:26

I have just had my first baby at 32 - an old crock in comparison !!!

Niddlynono Sun 20-Mar-05 21:23:19

Up to about 7 or 8 months I had a very neat, albeit pretty big, bump and I didn't have stretch marks so I definitely showed it off (which was during the summer). I felt beautiful, sexy and confident. Next time I doubt I'll look quite as toned though as I still haven't gone back to my pre-PG size so I'll probably keep it more under wraps.

LuvMyBaby Sun 20-Mar-05 21:39:23

Bexibooboo, how long ago were you pregnant, just interested because my ds is 12 weeks old, am now back to my pre-preg weight but definately not the same shape anymore !!!!

pixiefish Sun 20-Mar-05 21:44:38

I kept it covered too. No stretchmarks and I had a very tight neat bump (albeit a big one it was all to the front- from the rear I looked normal) but I haven't walked around with short tops on since I was a teenager and i wasn't about to start at 33

pinkdiamond Sun 20-Mar-05 21:46:29

Message withdrawn

sweetkitty Sun 20-Mar-05 21:47:24

Kept it covered at work but showed it off at weekends why not it was lovely and I miss it!! But I'm talking about a few inches of bump below a top I had a neat little bump and no stretchmarks. People used to think I was mad cos I talked to my bump all the time too

kama Sun 20-Mar-05 22:02:15

Message withdrawn

maisystar Sun 20-Mar-05 22:11:02

oh well, i am proud to be trashy

kama Sun 20-Mar-05 22:21:38

Message withdrawn

maisystar Sun 20-Mar-05 22:35:28

no, no offence at all

Niddlynono Sun 20-Mar-05 22:39:36

Luvmybaby, DS is 2.5 now and I'm still nearly a stone heavier than pre-PG although I am losing it slowly.

I never wore cropped tops but would happily wear normal tight t-shirts over my bump which exposed a few inches of flesh. I guess I'm in the trashy corner with Maisystar then .

babyburps Sun 20-Mar-05 23:42:12

luvmybaby, 12 weeks! oh my gosh! ds is now 10mths and am still 20kg heavier than pre-preg, haven't actually lost anything since birth! even tho still breastfeeding! ...oh dear! am shutting up now!

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Sun 20-Mar-05 23:45:59

Yes. When I was pregnant with DS1(12) it was an incredibly hot summer. I was so happy to be pregnant and so hot that I wore what I wanted and showed my belly. Someone told me that I was too happy with my pregnancy and how could I flaunt my bump. How do you get too happy? I was showing my bump before it got trendy. The only reason I didn't show my bump with the DTs was because I was too sick to leave the bathroom never mind get dressed enough to leave the house and flaunt!

kama Mon 21-Mar-05 00:32:17

Message withdrawn

trinityrocks Mon 21-Mar-05 08:16:15

I'm not actually showing skin but I do wear dungarees and tight tops so it is completely obvious that I am pregnant.
I am also very neat and ALL at the front so it wopuldn't really matter what I wore it's obvious! I wouldn't show skin though just because I'm not keen on that look.
I don't have stretch marks but my belly button is def. odd

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 21-Mar-05 08:56:03

I had this thing about not wearing maternity clothes because I thought they looked a bit sad so I wore normal clothes which didn't always cover my bump. My MIL didn't like it and you could tell she kept giving me disapproving looks but my bump was so neat I didn't mind.

However if I became pg again I would defo be buying mat clothes cos they are sooo nice and when I see pg women with their bumps out I'm not sure I like it (if they were anyhing like me though they probably would'nt have given a monkeys!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: