Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

how may braxton hicks contractions are normal?

(6 Posts)
dibleydoughnut Sat 19-Mar-05 13:46:39

i am 24 wks pg and am getting a lot of braxton hicks contractions every day since about a week ago, midwife says its ok to get them, but i get them a lot every day, not painful just uncomfortable, how many a day is the norm? anyone else get them loads?

Heathcliffscathy Sat 19-Mar-05 13:52:40

i got them loads (clumps of a few several times a day) from v early on, right through preg. especially when walking or after having sex.

they are fine. one midwife told me that it was a great way of the uterus preparing for labour as it was toning up!

orangina Sat 19-Mar-05 17:01:25

I'm like sophable, having them regularly since about 20-24 weeks, definitely more after walking if I do anything more than a very gentle stride, and now that I'm 37 weeks, even if I am pushing myself at all, they increase in number. Any time of the day, not really uncomfortable, just there. My uterus will be well and truly toned soon ! (The only bit of me that will be mind you...)

Tessiebear Sat 19-Mar-05 17:36:30

God how weird!!! I am 25 weeks pg and i was just wondering the same thing today!!!!!!!!!!!
I seem to be getting so many - and they sometimes take my breath away! I was quite worried today as they felt slightly painful - so i had a 2 hour stint on the sofa!
This is my 3rd pregnancy and barely noticed them before.
Think i have been overdoing it a bit

Cooperoo Sat 19-Mar-05 17:49:51

Hi there, I am exactly the same and was concerned initially as I certainly didn't get them like this with my first pregnancy. Some of mine are really uncomfortable too. I had them every half hour for 24 hrs the other day and was really achy in my back and tummy like I had been doing lots of sit ups (like I remember what that feels like!) A midwife friend of mine said they get worse with each pregnancy so that may explain something. I agree with resting though when we have them (any excuse) as sometimes it does seem that exertion sets them off a bit. HTH.

bonym Sat 19-Mar-05 18:12:31

I've been having them since about 16weeks this time around (2nd pg) - it's quite normal to get lots - strange thing is, for the last 2 weeks I've been getting them more when I'm sat doing nothing in the evenings (athough I am 39 weeks now!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: