Talk

Advanced search

how late in preg can you travel by plane?

(10 Posts)
milward Fri 18-Mar-05 13:21:41

My baby is due in sept & just thinking of holidays in the summer. Upto how many weeks can you take a plane when preg? Once I took a plane at 25 weeks preg & the stewardness asked me how preg I was & then didn't really believe me as I looked huge!!! Thanks

cutekids Fri 18-Mar-05 13:28:37

hi milward no expert at all but just had a quick look on the bupa website and apparently most airlines don't allow pregnant women to fly after 34 weeks. don't take my word for it though.look on the bupa website:www.bupa.co.uk

HandbagAddiction Fri 18-Mar-05 13:30:12

It will depend on your airline you're flying with - but most will take you until around 34 weeks I think. After 28 weeks most airlines will request a note from your GP confirming your dates and the fact that he considers you safe for travel. Also, mention how pregnant you will on the trip itself be when you book the holiday with the our operator, they can then check any specific details that they need there and then.

Also just worth calling your travel insurance company to see if they will still cover you. This again will often depend on the number of weeks you are when you want to travel.

LIZS Fri 18-Mar-05 13:35:22

Depends on whether long or short haul too. Make sure you have an e111 (for Europe) as well as travel insurance to cover an emergency, just in case.

milward Fri 18-Mar-05 13:40:48

It would be a flight of about 1.5hrs - I'd be just under the 34 week limit when I came back. Good to know the info you've all posted as I thought we might not be able to visit our family this summer unless we took the train - around 10hrs traveltime. Driving this distance isn't an option with three dds!!!

tribpot Fri 18-Mar-05 14:07:39

I haven't found travel insurance to cover me after week 32, so do let us know how you get on!

KLM will take you up to week 36 unless you have more than bub tucked away inside, with BA it's also 36 (32 for twins or more), and with SqueezyJet it looks like it's a straightforward 'up to week 36'. Hope that gives you some idea! All want a doctor's note after 28 weeks.

orangina Sat 19-Mar-05 09:02:31

Hi Milward.... I travelled long haul (9 hour flight) at 28 and 30 weeks (each end of 2 week holiday) with British Airways, and again for a v. short hop to France at 34 weeks on Easyjet... each airline had needed a letter saying I was in good health from gp/mw after 28 weeks, and when I booked, I told them I was pg. No-one asked for the letter, and Easyjet said I was allowed to board early with all the children (!) as I was pg, but otherwise I had no hassle. Do check your travel insurance conditions, as |I had to buy a small additional policy for the 2 week trip (outside the EU), which I did as I didn't want to find myself facing potentially huge medical bills if someone decided to arrive early! Also, remember that if you are NOT having a straightforward pregnancy for whatever reason, your gp won't/shouldn't give you a letter with a clean bill of health... Enjoy your holiday!

milward Sat 19-Mar-05 09:50:17

I'll look into question of travel insurance as we don't take any out for eu trips. We just book the travel tickets & book everything ourselves or stay with family. I know that we can claim back some of the costs of medical care but on the question of being brought back in an ambulance I don't know? Thanks for mentioning this one - I'll let you all know what I find out

orangina Sat 19-Mar-05 10:03:20

For EU travel, you should be fine with your E111. As I was told by lots of people on my recent flying trip to France, at least I would get a private clean room if I went into labour in France ! Take your mat notes with you though.... O x

Pamina3 Thu 24-Mar-05 14:26:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now