Talk

Advanced search

12 week scan - assymetric brain development?

(2 Posts)
peachy73 Sun 02-Nov-08 21:39:09

Hi, I had my 12 week scan last week and was told by the sonographer that the baby has assymetric brain development - basically the brain doesn't look like it has developed proportionally either side of the midline. Very low risk for DS, based on combined nuchal/blood test, noo other areas of concern shwoing up on the scan. The sonographer couldn't tell me what this meant simply that "there may be a problem, there may not be". I am seeing a consultant that I have been referred to next week but in the meantime would love to hear from anyone who was told a similar thing - what did it mean?
Thanks

wrinklytum Sun 02-Nov-08 21:48:03

Hello Peachy cannot really answer your q,as not enough knowledge.Did not want to ignore your post though.Big hugs.

Presumably you will be re-scanned soon if they suspect a problem?It may be that on re-scanning they may get a better idea if something is amiss or not.

It might be worth posting in the Special Needs section of Mumsnet.

Probably your best course of action would be to contact your local ante-natal unit and see if you can arrange an appointment to talk to the Paed/ neonatal conmsultant/senior nursing staff and ask for a fuller explanation.

(My own dd was born with a brain malformation that was undetected by scans,and has severe global delay,so I realise how worried you must be,but please please ring and see if you can speak to a consultant and get some more answers.)

Hugs xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now