Talk

Advanced search

Hope its not, but is this the start of SPD?

(20 Posts)
GYo Fri 31-Oct-08 09:22:32

Hi,

Sorry for another thread on this but I couldnt find what Im looking for on SPD searches (so hoping Im wrong!)

Am 21wks and have these symptoms:

-pain in coccyx area, better after bed but gets very stiff

-weird pain on inside thighs, right at the top, as if I've been on a horse or similar (!)- done neither. Gets sore when I've been sitting down.

Really hoping its normal stuff for being about 5mths pregnant but not sure. Oh, also baby seems to be very low down too- not sure thats relevant

Thank you grin

SesHashadafab12weekscan Fri 31-Oct-08 09:33:21

I hope not for your sake too.

I'm afraid I don't have the experience to know but wanted to bump this for you.

SesHashadafab12weekscan Fri 31-Oct-08 09:59:46

I hope not for your sake too.

I'm afraid I don't have the experience to know but wanted to bump this for you.

GYo Fri 31-Oct-08 10:12:08

Thanks Ses!

winemakesmummyclever Fri 31-Oct-08 10:34:53

Hi GYo,

sorry, but your symptoms sound identical to mine and I have pgp (new all encompassing name for spd) sad. I am 23w and finally saw the physio this week.

If you cannot account for any strains or sprains, and the pain is not resolving, then get in touch with your mw and get yourself referred to the physio. They will give you advice re minimising strain on pelvis/back, sexy pelvic support belts, acupuncture (for pain management) and exercises to help maintain flexibility and improve core muscle strength.

FWIW, it is supposed to resolve within 12 weeks of delivery. Not much comfort when you are hobbling around like Mrs Overall feeling like your undercarriage is going to fall out!

Hope you get some help soon. Take care.

GYo Fri 31-Oct-08 10:38:39

Hi Wine
Thanks for your message

It feels exactly like I am about to lose the baby out of my bum most of the time!
Ive been worried that I had prolapse but nothing feels prolapse IYSWIM.

Im having mid preg scan on Tues then seeing MW the week after so will see if I can hang on that long...

Thanks for your advice. grin

lowrib Fri 31-Oct-08 15:35:13

I have a pain in my leg (different from SPD - I know as I have that too!).

I went to see my DR yesterday, and he said what he was looking for was blood clots, which could be dangerous. Turns out I've just sprained a muscle, but he did stress it would be important to come back if I got pain in my thighs.

I don't mean to scare you, I expect it's nothing so serious, but if I was you I really would get it checked out with your DR asap, just in case, rather than waiting for your midwife appointment. It's what they're there for!

lowrib Fri 31-Oct-08 15:36:03

sorry that should have been "pain in thighs or legs"

pixie54 Fri 31-Oct-08 15:54:49

Sounds like SPD to me. I got similar symptoms at 20 weeks which went away shortly afer DD1 was born. There isn't a lot you can do about it unfortunately but I found seeing a physiotherapist helped as they can give you useful advice for getting into bed and into cars without it hurting.
I also had some acupuncture which helped.

I did not get SPD again in my second pregnancy.

Good Luck!

Millie26 Fri 31-Oct-08 16:56:27

Oh god, what is SPD??

lowrib Fri 31-Oct-08 17:08:19

Hi Millie.

"SPD or symphysis pubis dysfunction can occur from the first trimester onwards and is caused by a loosening of the pubic symphysis, a joint at the front of the pelvis, during pregnancy. Symptoms include tenderness, pain and a feeling of pressure in the pubic area, severe discomfort lifting or parting your legs, shooting pains in your lower body, a clicking feeling in your pelvis as you move (possibly feeling like your hip is moving around in the joint) and sometimes backache too."

For more see www.askbaby.com/pelvic-pain-spd.htm
or www.eparenting.co.uk/pandb/spd.shtml

Aparrently it affects about 1 in 35 pregnancies.

I have it - basically it hurts when I do things like turn over in bad / try to put trousers or knickers on standing up / walk a lot. I went to physio at the hospital which I found useful.

Millie26 Fri 31-Oct-08 17:13:17

Hi, thanks!

I get an uncomfortable pelvis in the evenings quiet often, that feeling of pressure and shooting pains. I'd never even heard of SPD - typical, something else for me to worry about! wink

I'll check out your links, thank you very much for the info.

I hope you feel better soon! xx

GYo Fri 31-Oct-08 17:14:26

Thanks Lowrib and Pixie
will see how I am on monday and then decide what to do. Feels really muscular rather than anything deeper like clots but better to be safe.

EightiesChick Fri 31-Oct-08 21:31:37

GYo, for what it's worth, the pains you've described don't sound at all like the symptoms of clots - I've had several, so I know. They can be symptomless but it's much more likely you would have pain/hot feeling/swelling in your calf or in your chest, not your lower back or your thighs. Sounds a lot more like PGP, which I think I also have - I did post a thread about it but hardly anyone replied. Lately messages about it have got more responses. (Don't mean to sound ungrateful; thanks to weecarol in particular who did try to help.)

MrsMattie Fri 31-Oct-08 21:34:16

It does sound like SPD to me. Get a referral to a physio now. the earlier you address it, the better.

CurseOfTheMinnieMummy Fri 31-Oct-08 21:45:35

I had SPD in both pregnancies and only had a tubigrip support first time - rubbish - but got a good support belt from the physio referral second time which made a HUGE difference. Did take a while to get the appointment (= group of us sitting around saying 'it hurts when I do this'for an hour hmm) so ask now!

EachPeachPearMum Fri 31-Oct-08 22:20:33

Umm- I have pain when I try to turn over, or put socks on... is this spd? BUT it is around my cocyx, not at the front at all.
I am 28 weeks now.
tbh it hurts less when I sit with my legs apart blush (yeah- classy ladylike poses in this house!)
What happens if you don't have physio? [slightly scared emoticon] It isn't debilitating, and I though SPD was (I know people on crutches etc- don't want you to think mine is anything like that!)

lowrib Sat 01-Nov-08 12:53:39

Hiya EachPeachPearMum I think it can be anywhere in the pelvic region (can anyone else confirm that?)

SPD can be debilitating in the extreme, but at the other end of the spectrum it can be what the Drs call "discomfort" (still pain in my book!!)

Mine isn't debilitating, it just hurts particularly when putting socks etc on, and turning over, like you.

The physio was all about supporting / strengthening the pelvic muscles. It included some pilates-style exercises and they also emphasised the importance of doing daily pelvic-floor excercises (again!)

They said untreated it's likely to get worse, as your bump is only going to get bigger!(therefore increasing the strain on your pelvis).

Your midwife should be able to refer you - it's a very common complaint.

Good luck smile

lowrib Sat 01-Nov-08 12:59:17

eparenting.co.uk says

"Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD) is complication of pregnancy which occurs in about 1 in 35 pregnancies. It occurs in late pregnancy, during labour or after delivery.

The symptoms are mild to extreme pain in the pubic area, back, hips and thighs. It is caused by the hormone Relaxin. Relaxin's job is to open up the joint at the front of the pelvis enough to allow your baby to be born, however in some cases it allows it to open up too far and the result can be extremely painful."

www.eparenting.co.uk/pandb/spd.shtml

EachPeachPearMum Sat 01-Nov-08 15:51:42

Thanks lowrib! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now