Talk

Advanced search

Breech baby - help!!!

(24 Posts)
littlestar Thu 10-Mar-05 15:30:19

I'm just coming up to 37 weeks and my baby is still breech - despite my best efforts of kneeling on all fours with my bum in the air to try and turn it.

The consultant has referred me for a scan next week which will show whether I can have an ECV. I'm also going to try acupuncture as I'm desperate to avoid a c-section if possible.

It would be really helpful to hear from anyone else who's been in the same situation... Does acupuncture work? What's the ECV like? And is there anything else I can try?

Reethi Thu 10-Mar-05 15:43:02

My DS was breech they were unable to turn him as I also had reduced lycal fluids. I had always wanted to avoid a c-section but was left with no choice. However, it was fine I managed to have a great time, within 24 hours you feel fine and I had no problems whatsoever. Good luck, I hope baby does turn but if not you will be fine, it is not as bad as you may think.

Nome Thu 10-Mar-05 15:43:26

I had an ECV, uncomfortable, but not agony. Didn't work, footling/flex breech = c-section. All very calm and quiet. Some babies just won't turn.

There were two of us with breech babies in my antenatal class of ten. ECV didn't work for either of us, but there is less chance of it working if it is your first baby ( you're not as saggy as second pg). Turned out the my friend's cord was too short to allow her baby to turn.

Nothing to lose by trying acupuncture anyway.

secur Thu 10-Mar-05 15:44:13

Message withdrawn

Steppy1 Thu 10-Mar-05 15:47:43

Hi Littlestar. Try the acupuncture. I run a company called The Having a Baby Company and we have an acupuncturist who has turned several babies who have been breech (about 80% have turned) not sure how it works and whether the babies would have turned anywya, but it has done so that's been good enough for the women that have been in that situation.... Saying that the longer you have been pregnant (ie your full term at 37 weeks)the less opportunity there will be for baby to turn (not much room) but give the AP a try anyway....I would get an appointment as soon as you can as baby is growing every day, meaning less room for baby to move. Good luck, hipe it all works out for you !

Nome Thu 10-Mar-05 15:50:40

I was told that it was my choice, but with footling breech there is a risk of the cord coming down with your waters. I was also told that there was no weight/pressure on the cervix because ds was footling (he sat like the Buddha for eight weeks), so labour would probably not start naturally.

Frank breech (bum down, feet by ears) is much more straight forward.

Bugsy2 Thu 10-Mar-05 15:50:51

Don't give up hope yet littlestar, my dd turned at 38 weeks.

Steppy1 Thu 10-Mar-05 15:51:33

...sorry about the spelling mistakes....not even been drinking

Nome Thu 10-Mar-05 15:52:17

I had a section on my due date and hadn't even had BH contractions. I could barely breath in though as ds was so far into my ribcage.

ZolaPola Thu 10-Mar-05 16:47:25

ECV - fine - quick & worked for me. Unlike acupuncture which was a complete waste of time & money and was told it had only small chance of working. try it if it makes you feel better though, no harm in it.

orangina Thu 10-Mar-05 20:00:42

i've had a couple of friends who have turned a breech baby at about 37-38 weeks by doing moxibustion through a chinese herbalist (burning herbs, sounds mad, but SOMETHING did the trick...). I imagine you have nothing to lose by trying.... good luck!

Amanda3266 Thu 10-Mar-05 20:05:49

The herb thing described by orangina is called moxibustion I think - worth looking up anyway.

Mum2Ela Thu 10-Mar-05 20:32:31

My DS was breech from 30 weeks. I went to have acupuncture at 37 wks but was rhesus negative which is a contraindication. I had ecv at 38 weeks and it was fab. DS turned in a matter of minutes and engaged straight away. Not painful at all, only very slightly uncomfortable if anyhting.

Best thing I did as I really wanted to avoid a c-section (toddler at home to look after) and they wouldn't let me deliver baby vaginally.

Only other things to try (which I am sure you are doing anyway) - spending lots of time on all fours, swimming (not breaststroke).

HTH. Let us know what happens, or if you have any more questions.

x

littlestar Fri 11-Mar-05 10:29:14

Thanks everyone, that's really helpful! I'm seeing the acupuncturist today. I'm also spending as much time on all fours as possible, sitting with a bag of frozen peas over the baby's head, and taking pulsatilla. (My husband thinks I've finally lost the plot, but at least I feel I'm being proactive)

Your replies just go to prove that anything could happen in the next few weeks so I guess I'll have to keep an open mind and hope for the best...

west3 Tue 15-Mar-05 13:20:26

Hi
27 weeks pregnant and baby is breech,space inside a bit tight so have been advised to try and get baby turned sooner rather than later. Any tips?

MissChief Tue 15-Mar-05 13:34:16

I'd ask for ECV in hospital (think they do before/around 36 weeks) - it's okay, quick & effective, babe shouldn;t move again once turned.

littlestar Wed 16-Mar-05 10:44:19

Quick update...

I had a scan this morning and the little blighter is still breech. I'm going for an ECV this afternoon, fingers crossed it does the trick as I really don't want a c-section - despite everyone's reassurances that it's not so bad. (I'm 37 wks + 5 days, btw)

bonym Wed 16-Mar-05 10:56:37

Good luck with the ECV - I had this with DD and it was fine - didn't hurt (although felt slightly uncomfortable) and she turned easily and stayed that way

bonym Wed 16-Mar-05 11:01:16

west3 - try reflexology - this baby was breech at 32weeks and turned after a reflexoloy session. She has been head-down ever since - I'm now 39 weeks.

julesandweekabeya Wed 16-Mar-05 12:04:00

Hi. Am 33 weeks and baby is still breech. Also am so breathless as baby is so high up. Have also started being sick and feeling extremely nauseous so don't know if this is related. Does anyone have any advice as so tired and can't take much more!!

jud2905 Sun 27-Mar-05 15:04:13

Hi

i had ds x2 who were both breech. Only knew the first was breech when turned up at hospital in labour and had to deliver! Second was lying transversely then breech for the latter part of pregnancy and ended up with c. section- it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I am imagined so don't worry!

charleypops Sun 27-Mar-05 15:19:06

I'm nearly 29 weeks and breech - what's an ECV please?

charleypops Sun 27-Mar-05 15:52:37

I googled it so now I know - sounds uncomfortable..

mears Sun 27-Mar-05 16:10:50

Did it work littlestar?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now