Talk

Advanced search

How inactive are you supposed to be at 35 weeks?

(20 Posts)
EBenes Thu 30-Oct-08 20:58:56

This is my second pregnancy and I had (and will be having with this one) an elective c-s with the first, so never went into labour. I've had a lot of scans and some concern over growth and amniotic fluid, but genuinely believe there's no reason to be concerned about this pregnancy at all. I've been resting most of the time.

But this weekend I want to go on a last hoorah with dh before the birth. Have babysitting mother, have friend's flat to stay in (3rd floor, yeek), have one dinner date with old friends, and know all the bus routes well. Are the rest of you pretty much flat out around now, being careful, still working, swimming, doing yoga, going around as always? I just want to know what everyone else is doing basically.

Thanks.

EBenes Thu 30-Oct-08 20:59:41

Oh, I forgot to say, weekend away in London, not just random staying in friend's flat, and not scary foreign holiday.

SoupDragon Thu 30-Oct-08 21:00:31

Do as much as you want.

maretta Thu 30-Oct-08 21:02:41

I think your body tells you when you're doing too much. If you're happy carry on.

Egg Thu 30-Oct-08 21:03:49

I was still walking a fair bit every day up to nearly 37 weeks (when I went into labour) with my DTs (second pregnancy). I walked DS1 to nursery while in labour too. I was still pulling DS1s buggy up and down steps at least once every day too.

With first pg still on exercise bike up to 40 weeks (on gentle mode though).

As long as you feel ok it doesn't sound like you are going to be over exerting yourself physically, although if you have to walk up to third floor flat you will be pretty out of breath!

Getting on buses etc fine as long as not in rushhour!

EBenes Thu 30-Oct-08 21:05:11

Oh goody! I feel pretty good, better than with the last pregnancy, I think. My parents are all 'don't go! don't do anything!' so I was worried. I may now even squeeze my giant arse into a theatre seat.

melmamof3 Thu 30-Oct-08 21:22:07

I've got 2 other kids, so no chance of taking it easy. 36 weeks, and I've been out shopping around town today, and plan on going food shooping tomorrow for a change.

ceebee74 Thu 30-Oct-08 21:25:49

Am 36 weeks pg with baby no 2 and am also having an elective cs in 3 weeks.

Am walking DS to nursery (pushing in a pushchair up hills) and back 4 days a week which is a total of 40 minutes every day and am swimming once or twice a week (40-50 lengths).

Am also doing the usual stuff of shopping, meeting friends for lunch etc.

If you feel able, do what you want and have a great time smile

EBenes Thu 30-Oct-08 21:33:26

You're all amazing. DH has been doing all laundry and cleaning for weeks, while I loll around shouting 'You have no idea how heavy a two year old is when you're carrying a supermarket turkey UNDER YOUR SKIN!'

cravingchocolate Fri 31-Oct-08 09:10:19

Your body will let you know if you are doing too much. I am 35 weeks pregnant with dc3 and looking after 2 dds this half term as well as looking after 3 ponies and taking them riding. Not to mention shopping, cleaning etc! I am knackered though and my chat in the evening is not up to much!

sunshine185 Fri 31-Oct-08 10:01:25

ebenes ceebee74 i am due ds2 in 3 weeks also by planned c-section 21st november!! where are you having your babies?

ceebee74 well done you staying so active!
i finished work last week and have to say i am slowing down big time!! also been diagnosed with spd so ouch so hasn't helped!!

lucky for me ds nursery 5 minute walk from our house, he only goes 2 days a week though....

good luck ladies and have a lovely weekend ebenes

artichokes Fri 31-Oct-08 10:04:03

I am 34 and a half weeks and working full tiem 5 days a week with a 45 min Tube ride each way. I am also walking DD to her nanny and picking her up each night. I am doing pregnancy yoga one night a week and swimming once a week.

If you feel fine then I think you can do whatever you want.

sunshine185 Fri 31-Oct-08 10:04:44

p.s cravingchocolate i am impressed!!

kraftwerkkittie Fri 31-Oct-08 11:02:38

i'm trying to cram as much action into the maternity leave as possible - seeing people etc as I'm assuming that once the bub's born, I'll be holed up in the bunker. I do end up walking about a bit like an old lady, but I figure there's no reason to stay in doing nothing unless you want to/feel you have to, ebenes. I'm secretly hoping that the activity will bring on the birth early...

MrsMattie Fri 31-Oct-08 12:11:49

I'm 36 weeks pregnant with my second child and my body is definitely saying 'slow down' this past week or so. I've been on on a few late-ish dinners out and a theatre trip in the last fortnight, and they have knackered me out (I feel it the next day - exhausted, achy, grouchy). The final straw for me was a trip down into central London to meet friends a few nights ago. I found the journey back on public transport unbearable and even after abandoning the tube and getting a cab I was still sick with tiredness by the time I got home. yesterday I did quite a big supermarket shop and also decided that was the last time I was going to do it before the baby comes. Online shopping or DH can do it for the next few weeks - too exhausting.

No maternity leave for me either, as I'm a SAHM with a 3 yr old grin - so no chance of lying around eating biscuits all day. But I am definitely slowing down.

ceebee74 Fri 31-Oct-08 12:34:23

Sunshine I am having my baby on 20 November in Lancashire - where are you??

Poor you with SPD - if I was suffering from that, there is no way I could do what I am doing (plus I do sometimes feel quite relieved when it is raining and I can't walk DS to nursery - good excuse to take the car grin

melmamof3 Fri 31-Oct-08 12:50:55

I'm having elective section soon as well, will find out on 5 Nov! I hope they dont do what they done last time, and book me in the day before my due date [hmmm]

sunshine185 Fri 31-Oct-08 17:30:20

ceebee74 i'm having our baby in central london 21st november!

went to osteopath this morning, helped a little with the SPD but still in pain... infact been out all day and like you mrsmattie i feel sick with tiredness now!!

we have halloween party tomorrow but i think sunday will be a stay in bed day!!

my head wants to do so much but my body is saying too much!!

bikerunski Fri 31-Oct-08 18:40:18

I swam a mile the day before DS was born at 38 weeks. And the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that etc ....I was never one for sitting about - see my loging name!

frazzledoldbag34 Fri 31-Oct-08 20:18:35

I worked full-time up until 39 wks and didn't slow down at all. I'd say as long as your medical team have no concerns and give no advice regarding what you should or should not do I'd be guided by your instinct and do what you feel like. Stop when you feel tired, obviously.
Enjoy your last hoorah!
( I hate to say it, but it will be your last chance for a wee while so I'd make the most of it!)
Good luck with the baby smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now