Talk

Advanced search

Does bad nausea w #1 = bad nausea w #2?

(24 Posts)
Mommy2Ro Thu 10-Mar-05 13:46:47

I was so sick the first three or four months with my DD that I am terrified about second pregnancy. We really want another, but want to ask:

Can anyone testify that they had little/less/no sickness with the second after sickness during the first pregnancy?

I won't believe it's possible until I hear it from someone with experience.

Thanks...

geekgrrl Thu 10-Mar-05 13:50:40

yes, much less. Still felt queasy but didn't throw up anywhere near as much. Third time round was also a lot better - only lost 2 lbs in the first trimester, with no throwing up, just queasiness. I hope it works out like that for you.

nutcracker Thu 10-Mar-05 13:52:02

With dd1 was sick for 14 weeks, with dd2 still 14 weeks until it went but not as sick, and with Ds just a few bouts of queasyness.

Mommy2Ro Thu 10-Mar-05 13:54:54

Ooh, I'm already feeling better.
Nutcracker, seems pregnancy with DS was the least nausea-inducing... Mmmh. I wonder is it a gender thing?

GGrrl... do you have girls or boys?

PrettyCandles Thu 10-Mar-05 14:04:45

A friend of mine had such bad hyperemesis that she was hospitalised several times and decided that she would not have a second child. After a lot of pressure from the grandparents she finally agreed to have a second, and this time had text-book morning-sickness until 14w and nothing more.

As for my own experience, I don't think it was any better or worse the second time, but I was able to manage it far better and it therefore had far less effect on me the second time around.

Morning sickness is said to be worse with girls.

PrettyCandles Thu 10-Mar-05 14:05:18

Woops, posted too soon.

But I had a boy followed by a girl, so I'm not convinced.

flamesparrow Thu 10-Mar-05 14:08:11

I am scared about it too - I had HG with my DD and am now actually terrified of being sick at all, let alone another pregnancy.

From what I can gather mine was caused by my hormones being off balance (taking the pill makes me queasy too), so I'm guessing my next pg will be nasty too

Miaou Thu 10-Mar-05 14:09:34

Um... probably not what you want to hear, Mommy2Ro, but I am pg with no. 3 and the ms has been slightly worse with each pregnancy. Have two dds and don't know the sex of this one. Sorry

Mommy2Ro Thu 10-Mar-05 14:13:30

Oh, dear. Well, it is good to get the truth, no matter what I think. Be prepared.

FlamesSp. I also had nausea from taking the pill, but it would die down after the first month or so of being on the pill. Nothing like what happened during pregnancy....

flamesparrow Thu 10-Mar-05 14:21:23

I still have nausea with pill now - I take it at night so I can sleep through it. I am going with the feeling that if that little tiny bit of hormone disruption makes me a bit queasy, then I understand why huge changes like pregnancy makes me so ill.

I am putting on a little extra weight before TTC, and trying to get as healthy as possible so that my body can handle it more.

Oooh, I have also been recommended Nux Vomica (homeopathic) for helping ease pregnancy nausea.

xxx

trinityrocks Thu 10-Mar-05 15:24:50

I was completely sickness free with my DD and then this time I was sicky and horrid for the first four months. I don't think it follows that it will be just the same with the second as you had with the first

fastasleep Thu 10-Mar-05 15:33:47

Mommy2Ro sending you the best of luck with the morning sickness, I had convinced myself that this time was going to be perfectly fiiine lol after having HG for 6 months + last time, I used to faint because I felt so weak...although still looked pudgey, hmph! This time round I'm vomiting loooads again but honestly it's not going to last 6 months...it just can't last six months..can it? Here's hoping that there's some chance for us, even if it only means vomiting for less time!

flamesparrow Thu 10-Mar-05 15:35:52

Try the nux vomica and see if it helps any. I'm trying to convince myself that all will be fine next time too!!!

fastasleep Thu 10-Mar-05 15:37:05

FS I'm googling it!

bundle Thu 10-Mar-05 15:39:25

far less bad with no.2 (both girls) but friend who had hyperemesis was hospitalised with both hers (boy and girl) and felt constantly sick until 10 mins after each c/s

Nome Thu 10-Mar-05 15:46:22

I was sicky with ds and have only felt queasy when tired with this one. Almost halfway through now!

fastasleep Thu 10-Mar-05 15:58:07

I just realised how little I'm eating I don't look any thinner but I don't feel hungry ever...and I even puked up the only 4 spoonfulls of porridge I managed last night... off to the doctors to get told I'm dehydrated it is then *worried about how she's going to cope with DS!*

coppertop Thu 10-Mar-05 16:01:32

I threw up several times a day for 4 months with ds1. I even used to plan my meals according to how easily they would come back up. Yes to soup and a definite no to chips!

With ds2 I felt a bit queasy for the first 3 months or so but was only sick once during the entire pregnancy.

It can get better.

flamesparrow Thu 10-Mar-05 16:05:11

FAsleep - If you can manage to face them, try eating ice lollies... your body has more time to get used to the idea of them, so it is mdore likely to hold the fluids down.

Also - look at your diet... with DD at about 6 months gone, I suddenly noticed that milk was making me 10x worse... when I cut out milk, I went from throwing up constantly, to being queasy and only actually being sick with heartburn.

xxx

bunny3 Thu 10-Mar-05 16:11:40

With ds I was a little sick, not too bad. Pregnancies 2 and 3 I was very ill, constantly throughout the first 12 wks but I miscarried both, pregnancy #4 I had no sickness whatsoever and gave birth to a dd. I dont think sickness or lack of has any relevance at all in my experience.

fastasleep Thu 10-Mar-05 16:13:29

FS I have no diet at the moment lol!! Bread and water....*looks pathetic!* thanks for the lolly tip though, I'll try it...

It sounds really stupid but it's better when I'm out but I feel to weak and crap to get out at the moment... I still can't eat very much but I don't constantly vomit outside.... must be the fresh air..

flamesparrow Thu 10-Mar-05 16:16:57

Sounds about right to me - the fresh air and being cool made me feel sooo much better. I made Boy freeze because I couldn't have the heating on as it make me sick.

Also couldn't wear any necklaces or high necked tops cos I felt like I was being choked.

the diet thing... thinking about it, the milk was when things had eased off slightly and I was managing to hold down at least some food!!!

Open all the windows and just dress the rest of the family warm!!!

fastasleep Thu 10-Mar-05 16:20:27

Aww thanks FS, I've noticed I can't have anything on my neck recently too!

*Opens all the windows that aren't nailed shut to keep the local liverpudlian zombie scallies out*

Mommy2Ro Thu 10-Mar-05 19:57:20

Thanks all for sharing... we're not actually preggers yet, but thought i might be as had pukey, awful flu for 5 days... depressing. So ick and no baby to look fwd to (yet!).

Good to hear that it's possible not to be as sick on next one (when that happens).

Good tip for nausea: lemon hard boiled sweets

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now