Talk

Advanced search

Hiccups or distress?

(11 Posts)
jaqphil Thu 10-Mar-05 09:07:34

I am 34 weeks pregnant. This may seem a strange worry but each night the baby seems to spend at least two hours either rythmically kicking/tapping me or has the hiccups. This combined on top of the pain from my pelvis and peeing every hour means my average actual sleep is limited! Am I doing anything to start these hiccups/movement and is baby distressed by thsi volume at all? Any thoughts welcome!!

Miaou Thu 10-Mar-05 09:11:11

Hi there jagphil - when I was pg with dd1 she often had hiccups, from about 32 wks, right up until she was born - I would say she got them almost every evening! After she was born she often had hiccups too, and even now at the age of nearly 8 she gets them really easily if she gets overexcited! I very much doubt it is anything to do with what you are doing, more likely to do with swallowing amniotic fluid. Try not to worry about it. I know that's easier said than done when you are losing sleep because of it!

lockets Thu 10-Mar-05 09:13:17

Message withdrawn

orangina Thu 10-Mar-05 12:49:57

my baby (in utero. 35 weeks) hiccups every day, at least once a day.... I guess it goes on for something like 10-20 minutes at a time? I can't work out what triggers it, sometimes I'm hungry, or I've just eaten.... will see if he/she is a hicupper out in this world too! I've been told it's nothing to worry about... in fact, when I had the 12 week scan, it was hiccuping then too (looked like a prawn shaped break dancer), and I was told then it was good, as it's diaphragm was developing nicely.....

HappyMumof2 Thu 10-Mar-05 13:26:27

Message withdrawn

samwifewithkid Thu 10-Mar-05 19:25:20

Im 37 weeks pg and mine has been hiccupping for a few weeks now! She only does it when I sit down, can't think of anything in particular that sparks it off. My dd1 did it also at the same time. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about!

tamula Thu 10-Mar-05 20:01:47

I am 38 weeks and mine hiccups for at least an hour when I first go to bed, I'm glad you asked the question actually because I was thinking exactly the same thing!

She sometimes hiccups when I am sitting too, but its more noticeable at bedtime, but that could be beacuse I'm winding down with nothing to do and all is still so it may seem more intense or for a longer duration at night. Not entirely sure.

jaqphil Thu 10-Mar-05 21:25:58

Thanks everyone. I feel better about it now!!

Gem13 Thu 10-Mar-05 21:29:23

DS had hiccups for hours and hours when I was pregnant. Not much when he was born though.

DD didn't really have them at all but spent the first few weeks hiccuping away. More annoying as she couldn't get to sleep!

Flossam Thu 10-Mar-05 21:33:34

I used to think I could feel DS hiccuping whilest I was pregnant, but was convinced it was happening too frequently. But at 4 months he still hiccups often, he is sat on my lap doing that very thing here right now!

aloha Thu 10-Mar-05 21:51:24

Hiccups in utero is really common - ds had it all the time and it used to make me giggle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now