Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Doppler - how to use?

(8 Posts)
SalBySea Tue 28-Oct-08 15:09:48

I borrowed a doppler machine but kept finding my own pulse. How do you find the baby's pulse?

Sidge Tue 28-Oct-08 15:19:24

How many weeks are you?

SalBySea Tue 28-Oct-08 15:24:36

Sidge Tue 28-Oct-08 15:30:38

Hmm, can be tricky to get a heartbeat at 15 weeks. Try quite low down, just above the pubic bone. You might need to angle it slightly but move it slowly, not too quickly or you'll miss it. Use loads of gel. Baby's heartbeat sounds like a train, or galloping horse whereas yours will be a thud, and the placenta will be swishy like the sea going in and out.

Don't panic if you can't find it, many midwives won't even try until 16-18 weeks as it can be so hard to hear.

SalBySea Tue 28-Oct-08 18:06:53

I prob didnt try low enough then. I'll see if I can borrow it again and give it another go
thanks

dan39 Tue 28-Oct-08 18:18:24

Don't use ordinary moisturiser, use the gel that is designed for it, makes it easier. My lovely GP is happy for me to 'pop in' for a listen and she does it immediately (of course) so you could try that if you want reassurance? (I am aware that I might be v lucky wit my lovely GP!!)

SalBySea Tue 28-Oct-08 18:23:09

dan you are indeed very lucky
I dont get to "pop in" without booking at least 2 weeks in advanced even when I'm ill

ranirani Sat 01-Nov-08 14:50:16

You need to use some kind of gel, and the best thing to check the heartbeat is early in the morning on full bladder. I started checking my baby's as early as from 12 weeks, so as long as you know what you are doing , you will find it. Whenever i tried to do it after I empty my bladder, I just would not find it. So full bladder in the morning is the way to go smile good luck next time

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: