Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Things I like about being pregnant

(30 Posts)
anjlix Sat 25-Oct-08 13:21:09

Hi all,

Given that pregnancy is a challenge for most of us, I put a list of things that I feel positively about. Please feel free to join in and add yours.

Also say something about yourself. I am due in Dec 08 with twin girls and I am currently on my mat leave.

--Baby kicks: This is the best secret. Some times I wake up in the night and find my belly is being used as a punching bag by my twins.

--I can demand my friends visit me at home since I am not very mobile now.

--I am surprised how easy it is to talk to new mums or would be mums. Otherwise it has always been hard for me to make friends.

--Hot tea/coffee/food. Since I am already on mat leave I can eat the best possible food.

--I have lots of free time to mumsnet.

--I dont worry about what to wear any more. Whatever fits and is comfy is good enough.

--I feel free of body image issues for the first time. No one is allowed to judge a pregnant belly!

--Big breasts are great while they last!

--I can sleep in without guilt.

Thats all I can think of for now. Please join in.

chequersandchess Sat 25-Oct-08 13:22:47

DH started making me cups of tea for the first time ever and is still doing it now DD is 11 weeks grin

MrsMattie Sat 25-Oct-08 13:26:19

- I love my big belly grin.
- I've got to the stage where I actually like my maternity clothes, as I can wear much tighter tops and be proud, rather than trying to hide my muffin top in baggy smocks
- Good excuse to get nightly massages / foot massages from DH
- I must admit - I do like the extra attention you get when pregnant smile

meep Sat 25-Oct-08 13:32:25

thick shiny hair in the 2nd trimester

UpJacobscreek Sat 25-Oct-08 13:34:14

You can get out of things by just saying how knackered you are.

Baby kicks.

DP been extra nice to you (most of the time)

If you want a chocolate bar at 9.00pm at night just tell dp it's a craving and then he has to go to the shop grin.

GinaTonic Sat 25-Oct-08 21:35:02

The Folic acid in the vitamin tabs makes your nails lovely and long.

melmamof3 Sat 25-Oct-08 21:38:51

My lushious hair. Never has my hair looked so shiny!

littlelamb Sat 25-Oct-08 21:42:49

ds is 4 months old now but the thing that I really did notice (mainly because it has stopped now) was how much kindness I was shown by strangers. People insisted I sat down at bus stops (though it was more comfortable to stand with my SPD), helped with my shopping, and really made a fuss of my dd asking if she was excited about the baby. In a pregnancy that I generally spent in a pretty terrible mood it really did make a pleasant change

MrsTittleMouse Sat 25-Oct-08 21:48:47

DD2's bump filled out the awful skin left after I had DD1. Um, that's about it. grin

spicemonster Sat 25-Oct-08 21:50:22

Getting a seat on the tube was good smile

mazzystartled Sat 25-Oct-08 21:52:04

- everyone smiling at me benevolently
- the way the huge bump up front made my bum look smaller
- the way that a pregnant belly makes lots of otherwise boring clothes look quite funky
- the get-out-of-jail-free card on toddler bathtimes, unwanted social engagements and anything else you don;t want to do

SnoopDog Sat 25-Oct-08 21:58:08

1 Relishing the early weeks when only you and your partner know your special secret.

2 Knowing you've got a number of months to plan, dream and fantasise.

3 Choosing clothes which are comfortable, practical, easy-to-wear and stylish.

4 Enjoying a leisurely bath, having a great foot massage, rubbing soothing lotions into your growing bump.

5 Discussing your maternity benefits with your employer.

6 Joining a yoga or an antenatal class and finding a whole new bunch of friends.

7 Not feeling guilty about getting heavier - pregnancy is Nature's way of making you feel good about putting on weight.

8 If this is your first baby, enjoying the next nine months sleeping through the afternoons or late at weekends: you won't get many chances later on.

9 At last you've got the bosom you've always wanted, which means you also have a great excuse to buy lots of pretty new bras.

10 Enjoying all the special meals that will be cooked for you and feeling great as family and friends begin planning your "godh bharai" (baby shower) celebrations.

11 From now on read up all about your baby from books and websites and join online forums to share your pregnancy with other mums-to-be.

12 At last you'll have something more than potted plants and pets to care for and nurture!

13 Suddenly you'll find you're getting lots of extra attention and advice from parents, in-laws, aunts, uncles, neighbours and not to mention your husband

14 Developing a closer relationship with sisters, cousins, or friends who are parents themselves. Congratulations, you've just won free admission to the parents' club!

15 Telling your parents and in-laws the good news and watching their faces light up as they look forward to being called "Nana - Nani" and "Thatha - Paati".

16 New talents! Whether it's knitting booties or singing lullabies, you'll suddenly find yourself trying out all sorts of new skills.

17 Suddenly you'll feel a new appreciation, love and respect for your own mother and all she went through having you and bringing you up.

18 Decorating your room with lots of baby pictures and smiling every time you go past. Suddenly you will be brushing up on nursery rhymes and trying to remember all those songs you loved as child.

19 Feeling those first fluttering kicks and thinking, 'Is that what I think it is? Or is it just wind?'

20 Feeling OK for sending your partner out for chicken tikka masala, samosas, jalebi followed by double-chocolate chip ice cream - after all it's your baby craving for these!

21 Your parents digging out your old pram or cradle or even a well-worn sweater which they've kept safely all this time 'just in case'.

22 Going for healthy walks with your partner and getting fresh air in your lungs because it's good for you and good for your baby.

23 Enjoying the extra-vivid dreams you get in late pregnancy - and laughing about them with your hubby and friends.

24 Feeling a little pair of heels prodding under your diaphragm and knowing you'll soon be meeting the little person they belong to!

25 Choosing baby clothes and furniture - or just visiting baby product stores and planning what you're going to buy.

26 Writing a pregnancy diary for your baby to read in the future.

27 Getting someone to take photos of you smiling over your enormous bump so that, one day, you can look back and be amazed you were ever that size.

28 Finding out how many people there are out there ready to care for you: your husband, mother, in-laws, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, friends, doctors, dietician….

29 Lying in bed with your partner's arms around you and your bump, knowing that love has created a new life and thinking soon you will be called "Mummy" and "Daddy".

30 Enjoying indulgences, such as evenings out, movies, theatre, weekends away and anything else you might not be able to do so easily once the baby arrives.

31 Knowing that from now on, whatever happens, you'll never be bored again.

32 Making new friends especially with other pregnant mums, whenever you go shopping or for a walk - everyone has a pregnancy story to share.

33 You can spend whole evenings debating whether to call your baby Maya or Malini, Rohan or Rahul...

34 Imagining what he or she will look like. Your sweet little ears, of course, and his sexy eyes!

35 Dreaming about, "My daughter the prime minister/movie star/brain surgeon".

36 Looking at your growing bump in the mirror and realising there's a special person in there!

37 Seeing your baby for the first time as a squirmy outline on the ultrasound monitor and waiting for the day when you will finally get to hold your own little miracle.

38 The expression on your husband’s face when you tell him you're having a baby, or when he looks at your growing bump or feels the baby kicking.

39 Thinking of buying that first little rattle, silver bangles or cuddly toy for your baby, not somebody else's.

40 Waking up your husband in the middle of the night to tell him that labour has started.

41 Trying out all those exercises you learned at antenatal class and finding out that they actually work!

42 Being held and supported throughout a contraction by your husband or mother and knowing that you can trust them totally.

43 Finding out, as the contractions get tough, that your repertoire of swear words is far more extensive than you ever realised!

44 Making an informed choice about pain relief and finding that it's right for you at that stage in labour.

45 That huge rush of pleasure and relief when, suddenly, all the pain and effort stops.

46 Looking into your newborn's eyes and falling utterly in love.

47 Watching your partner hug the doctor, nurse and anyone else he can find because his joy and pride are overwhelming.

48 Distributing sweets to celebrate, whatever the time of day or night.

49 Making all those phone calls and sending sms and picture messages to announce the arrival. Telling everyone the news and hearing the excitement in their voices.

50 Waking up to see your baby sleeping next to you and thinking, 'Wow! This is real. I'm a mum!'

SnoopDog Sat 25-Oct-08 21:58:55

i printed that out and whenever being pregnant got to me i read it smile

ranirani Sat 25-Oct-08 22:18:06

- blooming in pregnancy; everyone tells you how nice you look

- DH being so so nice and patient; I can throw huge tantrums now that before I would never ever would be able to get away with

-baby kicks

CS7 Sun 26-Oct-08 06:43:03

Great list snoopdogg, I am looking forward to all those things! smile

tryingtoleave Sun 26-Oct-08 07:10:42

I only have to wash my hair twice a week instead of every second day.

tinkisinthe3rdtrimester Sun 26-Oct-08 08:12:31

feeling a new life moving inside you

not feeling guilty about sitting down and resting lots

eating what you want when you want

bonding with your baby inside your tummy by feeling movements

letting your partner join in the experience by touching bump

glossy hair

ample bosom

enjoying having a bump

getting lots of attention form dh

GYo Sun 26-Oct-08 11:52:37

Great list Tink. Agree with all of yours.

Bump and generally feeling great that i have somnething growing inside me grin

teafortwo Sun 26-Oct-08 15:12:29

What a lovely thread! I remember my pregnancy with deeply fond memories. Reading your posts has reminded me of that wonderful time in my life. Thank you!

Enjoy the rest of your special time and keep posting! smile

anjlix Mon 27-Oct-08 12:00:36

feeling of sheer amazement that there are living things inside you that will be your children one day.

zoejeanne Mon 27-Oct-08 12:47:08

I've been very fortunate and had few problems (so far - touch wood), so I've pretty much enjoyed all of it. My favourites are

- loving my body and wanting it to grow
- being amazed that I can grow eyelashes, fingernails, organs - in fact a whole person. Oh, and the placenta, that's pretty amazing I grew one of those too
- seeing my DH more excited about fatherhood than anything else, and far more than I expected him to be
- realising how kind and considerate DH actually is towards me
- baby making me laugh with funny tickly wriggles
- and numbers 1, 6 and 18 from Snoops list (although there are loads on there I hadn't thought of, so will be appreciating from now on)

(and hi to anj - another Dec mum to be here smile)

anjlix Mon 27-Oct-08 18:46:32

Hi zoejeanne to you too. I am on the dec antenatal thread in case you want to hang out as well.

KT1983 Mon 27-Oct-08 19:02:36

SnoopDog - What a great list, ive also just printed it out and will pin it up in the kitchen to look at whenever im having a 'down day'
Thanks for that

gingersarah Thu 30-Oct-08 10:36:21

Snoopdog - so lovely, that list is making me misty eyed at work.

a couple more things:

- getting parcels of maternity clothes from sisters and aunts and visits from a mother who wants to cook your favourite things

- going to your favourite places and swimming in the sea and thinking "if I come here next year with LO it will already be his/her second time" - feeling you have already started introducing him / her to the lovely things in life, like being buffeted by the Atlantic

- feeling stupid niggling worries receding as things at work don't really matter now

- having tea and toast in bed on sunny winter mornings

heverhoney1 Thu 30-Oct-08 10:39:49

-People asksing very tentitively - "Is it um ur True?" too scared that they have got the wrong person and they may be accused of calling you FAT rather than preggers - V funny!!!!

- Getting instant double helpings when you break the news to the canteen lady - hahaha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now