Talk

Advanced search

Pregnancy moan about digestive problems - please does anyone have any advice?

(7 Posts)
electra Fri 24-Oct-08 20:12:37

I'm 14 weeks and this time horribly constipated and my stomach is really, really bloated and uncomfortable. I keep thinking I have got a bump and then wake up in the morning and it has gone right down. I also have terrible heart burn. I didn't get this in my other pregnancies at all.

What should I be eating / not eating? Anyone have any advice - I would really appreciate it as this is driving me mad! I am drinking more water and hoping that will help...

penny99 Fri 24-Oct-08 20:16:47

Drinking lots of water and herbal tea helped me.

I also cut down on white bread, pasta and that sort of refined stuff.

I ate muesli for breakfast and lots of fruit and dried fruit too.

I make a pot of bircher muesli on a sunday night which lasts in the fridge for the rest of the week. You can sort of make up the recipe but I mixed the following together:

1 cup oats
1 cup bran
1 cup muesli
2 cups hot water
2 teaspoons honey
lemon juice (squeeze)
and any fruit or nuts that you fancy

I also found that my bloating was much worse at the start and got better after 14/15 weeks

electra Fri 24-Oct-08 21:01:17

Thanks Penny smile I have cut out refined carbohydrates as far as possible.

midnightexpress Fri 24-Oct-08 21:03:56

Linseeds sorted me out good and proper with both pgs. Sprinkle a couple of spoonfuls on your breakfast cereal or put them into anything you're baking or over yogurt.

They're also full of Omega-3s so v good for you too, and your baby will be frightfully clever.

pinkspottywellies Fri 24-Oct-08 21:03:56

Do you take any supplements? I found that the multi-vitamin I was taking seemed to bung me up. Now that it's porridge weather I make porridge in the microwave and add chopped up prunes to it. Tastes ok and seems to keep everything moving to an extent.

moocowme Fri 24-Oct-08 21:09:08

if you have heartburn you need to cut out all caffeine. so chocolate, coffeee, coke etc all has to go.

licorice can help if you are constipated and will help the heartburn as well.

electra Fri 24-Oct-08 22:59:30

Thanks so much all of you! I will try all of your suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now