Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Partially collapsed lung - anyone had this?

(10 Posts)
Kelly1978 Tue 08-Mar-05 19:06:12

Hi,
I haven't been around much the last few days as I've been in hospital. I'm 35 weeks pg with twins, and have been suffering a lot with rib pains during the past month. Now a CT scan has revealed I have a partially collapsed lung, prob caused by the pressure of the babies who are already thought to be around 6lb each and are all out at the front.
I was just wondering if anyone else has had this, and how long it took to recover? I've had a show and lots of braxton hicks, but I don't think I have the stamina at the moment to push the babies out. I'm really hoping it will clear up soon, but all the hospital has done is give me strong painkillers and told me to pratice deep breathing.
Thanks for reading!

Merlin Tue 08-Mar-05 19:10:51

Hi Kelly - sorry to hear this - no advice but as a fellow April threader have been following your progress. Would they induce you early, or do a section do you think?

Kelly1978 Tue 08-Mar-05 19:18:46

I have no idea, not much was said about the babies, but I am due for the next scan and antenatel on Mon and Tues so will be discussng it then. I guess it might be a c section date now, as they were thinking about delivering early anyway. I'm jsut worried about recovering from a c section, up til now they were keen for a vaginal delivery.

Kelly1978 Wed 09-Mar-05 07:48:51

bump

nailpolish Wed 09-Mar-05 08:23:40

kelly im so sorry. hope you get some feedback soon i can imagine you are very tired out by all of this. will you be seeing the mw soon? they should be keeping a close eye on you

Kelly1978 Wed 09-Mar-05 08:56:31

I guess I must be pretty unique, no-one else seems to have had this. TBH I am feeling rather neglected as far as the babies are concerned and getting worried as it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I can't hardly eat, and am worried for their health. I think I'm just going have to beg for a c section on tues.

nailpolish Wed 09-Mar-05 09:03:40

tuesday! gosh didnt realise it was so soon. really hope everything goes ok

Cleothecat Fri 11-Mar-05 21:54:42

Poor you. I've had pneumothorax in the past, though not while pregnant and am waiting to see a thoracic consultant to find out what impact it might have on pregnancy and birth. The good thing I'd say is that if they're worried about you, they put a pipe into your lung through your side, so they must think you're doing ok. Stick with it, it's nealry over and if I were you I'd def ask for a C section so it doesn't go from partial to full, which really is scary for you and your baby. X

Katts Thu 17-Mar-05 17:27:55

Hi,

First of all sorry to hear you're having to go through this. I know it's very painful. I also had a partially collapsed lung which wasn't pregnancy related. They treated it with antibiotics - which took about a week or two to clear it up. After I got the all clear from my doctor (everything looked fine on the chest xray) it still took me about 3 weeks to feel back to normal. Hope everything goes well with you. Here's wishing a speedy recovery!

CoriW Mon 18-Jul-16 08:53:53

I know this is a very old thread but there is relatively little about this online so wanted to add my experience for anyone else out there with the same problem. I was carrying multiples and my waters broke at 25 weeks. I managed to keep the babies in for an additional week. I was too unstable during this period for scans etc and my gynae feared I had a blood clot in my lung or pneumonia. After the c-section I went for a CT scan and it was apparent that I had a partially collapsed lung. I was also carrying heavily to the front. Both babies died in NICU (eight days and twenty-one days). I've been doing research on this and it seems medical research in this area is still very scanty, and I haven't been able to find anything on collapsed lungs specifically related to carrying multiples, and carrying heavily to the front. I just felt I needed to post as it sounds like Kelly1978 had a very similar experience. In every way I was completely healthy - not a smoker, drinker, drug user etc, ate super healthy, did yoga for four years prior to getting pregnant... If anyone knows anything more about this, I'd be very interested to know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now