Talk

Advanced search

So I cannot be FAT & PREGNANT according to maternity gestapos everywhere!

(24 Posts)
billysitch Thu 23-Oct-08 15:46:15

It seems size 20 and short is not at all fashionable in the realms of maternity clothing, I am thinking of Millets next.

I have tried
Mothercare, Mamma & Pappa, H&M, M&S, Next. . .

Does anyone have any ideas of shops who may be able to stock clothes in my size for maternity?

angry

louii Thu 23-Oct-08 15:47:50

Dorothy Perkins has a size 20 in maternity.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 23-Oct-08 15:48:03

Um ... fat people, particularly fat women, don't have sex.

simplybe.com do maternity clothes, there's lots on ebay too. Have you tried new look? Not sure what size their maternity range goes up to. Tbh I lived in smock type/stretchy tops, and only needed different trousers at the end (I just wore stretchy tracksuit bottoms for the last month or so)

lauraloola Thu 23-Oct-08 15:48:47

Dorothy Perkins I think go up to larger sizes and I believe they do different lengths.

If not, have you tried Ebay?

plantsitter Thu 23-Oct-08 15:49:26

And if we got pregnant we would certainly never leave the house, negating the need for clothes.

louii Thu 23-Oct-08 15:49:27

Actually Dp do most things up to a size 22.
http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag =&catalogId=20552&storeId=12552&categoryId=111569&parentcategoryrn=111560&productId=882795&langId= -1

louii Thu 23-Oct-08 15:50:23

sorry
www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId= 20552&storeId=12552&categoryId=111569&parent_category_rn=111560&productId=882795&langId=-1

Rosa Thu 23-Oct-08 15:51:01

M&S do different length trousers online. Simply Be trousers are naff I found but I ordered a few tops a bit bigger in size and they have done me - but I am tall and the tops were pretty long.Good luck its a nightmare - when you do find something buy double !

ANTagony Thu 23-Oct-08 15:52:15

H&M used to do generous size 20 maternity stuff - I got mine from there. Also Asda for cheap basics like jeans and baggy tops.

funkypumkin Thu 23-Oct-08 15:54:33

I'm a size 20 and got stuff from mothercare and also non-maternity stuff from Evans, you're right it is a nightmare. Still haven't lost much weight and am still a size 20, ho hum!

NotQuiteCockney Thu 23-Oct-08 15:56:16

Do fat people generally leave the house?

(I was a size 18 when I got pregnant with DS1. And working in the City. Could I find any dressy pregnancy clothes? Could I buggery ... but then I had a hard time finding nice dressy clothes when not pregnant, what with the whole 'fat people have no money' rule.)

zippitippitoes Thu 23-Oct-08 15:59:12

fat people are supposed to shop at markets on airfields i think

but possibly not fat and preganant people

CandleQueen Thu 23-Oct-08 15:59:28

New Look mat jean in 18 are generous.
Next are only good for tops if your boobs aren't huge. Their mat trousers work on the assumption you are growing a baby not only in your belly but on each arse cheek too.
I bought long vests in Evans and wore with cardis.
I am short, fat, huge norks, but skinny from thighs down - I look like a jacket potato on cocktail sticks. Not a good look even when not PG!

billysitch Thu 23-Oct-08 16:00:06

Before I start my EQUAL RIGHTS FOR FAT AND UGLY WOMEN CAMPAIN I would like to thank you all for making my day!

Thanks for the advice, marvellous!

Not quite cockney & plantsitter I know I know I should hide myself away under a blanket and not leave the house, I should be ashamed!

<Sneaks off looking for the burka, to get milk from the corner shop>

Love you all grin

dan39 Thu 23-Oct-08 16:06:20

lol at these comments!! Love the description of Next trousers, candlequeen - tho I think I should confess that I AM, in fact, growing a baby in my arse!!

EBay easy as you can just type in size.

joyfuleyes Thu 23-Oct-08 16:14:59

I get non maternity stuff from the H&M plus size range. I'm an 18/20 & it goes up to 26? I think, stretchy stuff sees me to the end of the pregnancy.

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Thu 23-Oct-08 16:17:12

lol@ 'I look like a jacket potato on cocktail sticks' grin

CandleQueen Thu 23-Oct-08 16:29:15

Thank you, thank you <CQ takes a bow, still looking like a spud>

morine Fri 24-Oct-08 19:42:09

Try bump4joy.co.uk, it is specially for plus size clothes, and it is also advertised on Mumsnet classified.

TheHedgeWitch Sat 25-Oct-08 16:42:29

Message withdrawn

melmamof3 Sat 25-Oct-08 17:41:06

Having just spent the last 20minutes wiping the tears away after laughing so much at CQ's post, I can finally answer the question.

mothercare size 20 are very generous if you buy the under the bump ones. I've got 2 pairs that I live in now, as I only have 5 weeks left, and refuse to buy any more clothes.

Evans, although dont do maternity wear, would probably be your best bet as their sizes are generous, and you only have to get the next size up, so will be fab for after the birth as well.

H&M maternity are crap IMO, as you have to have to be triangular to fit in them. Saying that, I do have a lovely stretch maternity jumper from there, that fits fab!

TheHedgeWitch Sat 25-Oct-08 17:55:54

Message withdrawn

brettgirl2 Sun 26-Oct-08 09:16:23

You also aren't allowed to be TALL and pregnant, which is the prob that I have.

People have mentioned H&M - I would definitely recommend that bigger ladies give it a wide berth. The clothes are very small in terms of sizes, I had to go up 2 sizes from my pre-pregnancy one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now