Talk

Advanced search

So midwife has told me I need to oil myself up before bedtime.... ooo errr

(22 Posts)
LenniEd Wed 22-Oct-08 21:02:26

Second baby is lying transverse and at 29 weeks my skin is starting to protest. Midwife has told me I need to oil my bump, boobs and hips before bedtime to avoid major stretchmarks. Now I don't want DH to start thinking he's getting any so looking for something not too appealing but relatively effective that won't ruin my yummy new PJs. And ideally I'd like someone to come round at about 10pm each night and rub it in for me, cos I'm bound to spend a fortune on some concoction and still have it in the cupboard in about 5 years time otherwise, but realise that is asking a bit much grin

Any suggestions?

Flum Wed 22-Oct-08 21:03:13

Almond oil probably

MrsMattie Wed 22-Oct-08 21:04:54

Yep, almond oil is good and probably he cheapest option. Or Bio oil. Or if you're minted, the Clarins body oil is lovely.

hiccymapops Wed 22-Oct-08 21:05:58

Bio oil is very good, i used it through my first and now second pregnancy.

wonderstuff Wed 22-Oct-08 21:06:06

I liked Neals Yard mothers balm

Cauldronfrau Wed 22-Oct-08 21:09:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lauraloola Wed 22-Oct-08 21:22:04

Bio Oil - It doesnt stain your clothes and is really good for your skin. If I was you I would put it on morning and night. You can also put a few drops in your bath.

LenniEd Wed 22-Oct-08 21:25:23

grin grin grin Although not sure I agree with your choice of Denzel Cauldronfrau... really should have put more effort into that marrige contract while I had the chance though.

Bio oil, have heard mention of that before... Mmm, Neal's yard, always wanted excuse to buy something from them. Oh, now I have too much choice... <<vaguely recalls days when choosing lotions and potions was something I knew something about... sigh>>

SazzlesA Wed 22-Oct-08 21:28:49

Message withdrawn

magnummum Thu 23-Oct-08 06:43:04

I used Palmers cocoa butter during pregnancy number 1 and escaped any stretchmarks. About to stock up on more as now expecting number 2.

kraftwerkkittie Thu 23-Oct-08 10:45:22

Bio Oil is good for not getting grease on yer clothes, but it hasn't stopped me getting stretch marks... unless it's lessened the chasms that i was *gonna get*

halsmum Thu 23-Oct-08 10:52:49

swear by palmers cocoa butter - no stretch marks at all from first pregnancy. And it smells like chocolate which is a good incentive if you are a bit greedy. The one in the tube is less greasy than the tub.

Ooh and 'fenjal' baths. Smells gorgeous in 1970's nans house sort of way, bit slippery so take care getting out. You can get this in larger boots and old fashioned chemists

Sounds onbvious but make sure you get right UNDER your bump as well....

tranverse - sounds uncomfy. I'm 29 weeks as well

halsmum Thu 23-Oct-08 10:56:40

PS

Do you want to swap husbands? no amount of oil, hinting or seduction is getting the message across to mine that pregnancy MAKES ME HORNY AS HELL!

LenniEd Thu 23-Oct-08 11:01:38

Hmm, not sure I want rid of him just yet - he was quite handy at DDs birth. Although if you'd asked me on another day I might well have said yes.

I've got some cocoa butter, doesn't seem to be doing the trick, and yes transverse=very uncomfortable, kind of like having a brick tucked under your ribs. Hoping it moves soon...

Lionstar Thu 23-Oct-08 11:09:46

I used wheatgerm base oil from Neal's Yard - no stretchmarks here

ShePeeTeePee Thu 23-Oct-08 11:15:44

I think I used cheapo J&J baby oil, BUT found it much easier to slosh it all on while I was still wet from a bath or shower. After a few days you will become permanently waterproof!

MamaHobgoblin Thu 23-Oct-08 11:19:52

sigh... I used both Palmer's cocoa butter and Bio Oil religiously from when I started popping out - have stretchmarks from hell. Seriously, I'm thinking of baring my midriff for Halloween because it's better than a costume. sad

halsmum Thu 23-Oct-08 11:49:40

Sorry about lewd comment re your husband LenniEd! Hope I didn't cause offense. blush Not sure what came over me at 10.30 in the morning...

LenniEd Thu 23-Oct-08 12:01:55

No offence whatsoever grin grin I could do with some of whatever came over you though - no pun intended of course!! Overheard DH telling a friend the other day "I've heard it(sex) goes one of two ways in pregnancy, trust my luck..." blush Now you know the way men talk, I'm going to have everyone knowing he's not getting any soon.... shock

Aaaa, MamaHobgoblin, am sure its not that bad really - I had a few after DD at the bottom of my bump and after 2 years they have faded enough to not see them if you squint in a poorly lit room... swines aren't they sad

kraftwerkkittie Thu 23-Oct-08 12:20:22

mamahobgoblin - feel your pain. i did palmers and bio oil and they FAILED ME. that said, i still bought another lot of bio oil recently just so that i would know for sure that i wasn't responsible for me stretchies. i tried almond oil too and no go. There's no harm in oiling yerself up, but I do think that if you're gonna get em, you're gonna get em and no amount of unctions will keep them at bay

dan39 Thu 23-Oct-08 16:57:45

I think so too kraftwerk - they are gonna get you if they are gonna get you! BUT using oli is nice and I reckon the bump likes it too. I used mother's balm from Neals Yard, felt and smelt gorgeous but was very sticky so I would worry about your pj's. Finished that and replaced with Bio-Oil (cos recommended by lots of ple) and it goes in nicely BUT I hate the smell...sigh. SO I went back to Neal's Yard and am now trying mother's massage oil. I didn't like the smell (yes, I AM fussy, I know, I know! blush ) but they put a few drops of geranium in it and I like it now...and it goes in lovely, not greasy at all.

lol at the marriage small print cauldronfrau, wish I could get mine to join in, he is too busy making disgusted faces and running from my horrid 'outie' belly button!!

1stMrsF Fri 24-Oct-08 13:03:13

I just asked DH if he will rub cream into my bump when it is big. He said yes. Now I can hold him to it... [evil face]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now