Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Paranoid 1st timer, please humour me!

(6 Posts)
questions2008 Wed 22-Oct-08 16:53:49

i went in to the EPU this mornin as i've been having shoulder pains for the past couple of days and was worried of ectopic, despite no other sypmtoms, which nice doctor explained was highly unlikely. She scanned me anyway and we saw the sac in the womb and everything was ok. But she queried my dates as I am supposed to be 5.5 weeks but she thinks things look smaller than that. my LMP was 13th Sep, so technically i would be 5.5 weeks. she's going to scan me in a week's time to see if it's develpoing as it should, should i be worried?? is this normal? aarrghh....!

Jools1 Wed 22-Oct-08 16:56:09

I'm also a paranoid first timer, but have nearly got to 9 weeks so a bit ahead of you and still 3 weeks to go before I get a scan

I would guess that you may have ovulated later in your cycle than you thought, or implanted late - that could easily put dates out by a few days, and a few days probably have a big impact at this stage.

Good luck

mrsgboring Wed 22-Oct-08 16:57:54

I think it is very hard for them to tell much at 5 weeks - baby is very small and you wouldnt expect to see a heartbeat on scan. Good luck for your return visit. There are plenty of reasons why you might not be quite as far on as you thought.

CookieMonster2 Wed 22-Oct-08 17:19:18

Don't read too much into early scans! They never seem to give accurate dates and seem to cause more stress than they solve. Just try to hold out until the 12 week scan which will give you much more reliable information. Easier said than done I know, but its the best way. I had a few early scans with my first due to problems, then second time had a miscarriage at 12 weeks. Third time realised that early scans don't really give you much reassurance or information so just waited until the 12 week scan, even though people can usually get early scans after a miscarriage.

hanaflower Wed 22-Oct-08 17:26:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

questions2008 Wed 22-Oct-08 17:34:26

thanks ladies, that's reassured me a little.smile always depend on MN...although that's what got me in there in the first place with the shoulder pain!! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now