Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Extreme dehydration

(7 Posts)
mummy2000 Tue 21-Oct-08 20:30:10

For weeks i have had extreme dehydration and it has now got to the point where i'm waking in the middle of the night desperate for a drink. mouth feels dry all through the day despite having plenty of fluids. Went to my booking in appointment yesterday and midwife seemed concerned about it. She mentioned that it sounds like diabetes. Diabetes runs in my family and my mum also had gestational diabetes when pregnant so there's a high chance i could get this. Has anyone else had dehydration during pregnancy that is becoming unbearable that hasn't turned out to be diabetes?

mummy2000 Tue 21-Oct-08 20:34:45

I forgot to mention that i am at the end of my first trimester so to get gestational diabetes this early is rare.

MsG Tue 21-Oct-08 22:25:04

Sorry - don't really know much about it but just wanted to reply... Have you been tested for diabetes then? If it is gestational diabetes, is it easy to control it?

How are you feeling about it?

xx

rrrayray Tue 21-Oct-08 22:27:58

Hi mummy 2000... i was REALLY REALLY thirsty about weeks 16-22. it was a joke i'd drink 4/5 pints of water at a time and would not even feel like it had touched the thirst. I was drinking well over 20 pints a day, easily.

I too was concerned about g.diabetes... but have been regularly checked for it & still no signs (27 weeks.) The thirst has now eased, i guess maybe i just needed the fluid? Goodness knows.

The only thing i can suggest is don't drink just water. i found water didn't Quench my thirst, where Fruit juices - especially smoothies Seemed to.

Also, just an idea... i know that sometime they say hunger can be mistaken for thirst, maybe the same can occour the otherway round too? Who knows! pregnant is a weird thing!!

Good luck.. & don't worry too much, they'll keep a good eye on you.

SpringySunshine Tue 21-Oct-08 22:45:17

I wake up in the middle of the night needing a drink too (I'm 15+3), but try to moderate it so I don't spend the rest of the night weeing instead of trying to sleep. I can't go anywhere without a big bottle of something to drink in my bag because my mouth dries out so quickly. There's no diabetes in my family & my urine was tested this morning (not specifically because of this, but as standard) & there was no sign of diabetes there, either.

Obviously you should get tested for it if you're worried & keep an eye on it, but I think it might just be one of those pregnancy annoyances you can't do much about.

mummy2000 Wed 22-Oct-08 20:38:11

Thanks everyone. Glad to know i'm not the only one out there feeling this way. It's driving me crazy. The inside of my top lip is red and sore due to the fact that my mouth is always dry. I'll just try to drink as much as i possibly can. Found out today that ice lollies are great for this. Not only to keep my mouth moist but also helped with my lip being sore.

bootus Wed 22-Oct-08 21:28:39

Roses Lime Cordial...helped my raging thirst throughout [hmmm] no idea why tho! And used to make own ice lollies with pure orange so didnt feel guilty for eating, erm, a few a day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now