Talk

Advanced search

URGENT - Please help - Can I take Piriton whilst pg?

(11 Posts)
Swaliswan Tue 21-Oct-08 15:40:27

I'm having a massive and sudden allergic reaction to something (thankfully just bad skin rash atm). Can I take piriton like I normally would?

hanaflower Tue 21-Oct-08 15:42:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Swaliswan Tue 21-Oct-08 15:42:53

Thanks

Mung Tue 21-Oct-08 15:43:43

I was prescribed it whilst bf and doc said it was fine to take when pg too. I chose not to though

Qally Wed 22-Oct-08 10:13:42

Yeah. My on-call doctor service rang the Teratological (sp?) service for me to find out the best option when I got hives - the answer was that Piriton has been taken by pregnant women for decades with no reported issues at all, and it's a very good bet. Newer antihistamines don't have that history, and obviously they can't test anything.

Qally Wed 22-Oct-08 10:13:46

Yeah. My on-call doctor service rang the Teratological (sp?) service for me to find out the best option when I got hives - the answer was that Piriton has been taken by pregnant women for decades with no reported issues at all, and it's a very good bet. Newer antihistamines don't have that history, and obviously they can't test anything.

yomellamoHelly Wed 22-Oct-08 10:14:42

DOn't know abot Piriton. I was prescribed Eurax.

ninedragons Wed 22-Oct-08 10:18:33

My MIL is a pharmacist and said Piriton (specifically that brand) was ok because it had been used for so long, as Qally says.

Cadbury Wed 22-Oct-08 10:19:20

yes, I was prescribed it when pg

MerlinsBeard Wed 22-Oct-08 10:20:35

i was prescribed piriton (and many other things) when i had cholestasis in late pregnancy

sunshine185 Wed 22-Oct-08 11:41:51

yes i took it regularly on prescription when pregnant with ds. he is now 28 months old, no probs...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now