Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

anybody an expert on irritable womb/uterus??

(7 Posts)
mad4mybaby Tue 21-Oct-08 11:56:20

Had antenatal on sat and the MW (who i ve never seen) took one look at my belly and was feeling around for baby and said 'oh youve got an irritable womb' just like that. I asked what that meant and she just said oh thats just all the contractions you keep having.

im 35 weeks and from very early on i was having what every was telling me was BH even though i was convinced they werent as it was nothing like what it was described like but i just accepted that was what it was. I had exactly same with pg1. I did a bit of research and it said you can get contractions from mild things such as baby moving, having a wee etc and this is soo true for me! I also get wierd hard lumps sticking out (not baby) when it happens. Couldnt really find anything else out. What is everyones understanding of what this means?

I had contractions for good few weeks before ds1 and he came in 4 hours. very quick very intense and contractions literally one on top of the other and was 38 weeks. Does this irritable womb have any play in labour/birth? Any experiences/knowledge be grateful as the MW was a little lalala about it!

mad4mybaby Tue 21-Oct-08 13:33:42

anyone?

LadySweet Tue 21-Oct-08 16:36:13

The midwives at my hospital told me I had an irritable uterus when I went in with contractions at 35 weeks - they sent me home, I gave birth the next day. Not sure if that was the norm, perhaps phone your hospital if you are still having contractions they may suggest you go in so they can look at you.

Appreciate this may not be much help but it will at least bump for someone more knowledgeable than I if nothing else grin

doingmyheadin Tue 21-Oct-08 17:00:01

A lot of women find they get mild contractions when they are being examined or when the baby moves. In my experience these vary from woman to woman and for some women braxton hicks contractions do seem to be more painful and regular than the text books would have you believe. If the tightenings you are feeling aren't getting any worse and the baby is moving well I wouldn't worry about it. I think the midwife probably commented because sometimes it is difficult to palpate the abdomen if the uterus tightens every time you try and feel the baby, but it is definitely not unusual and doesn't mean that you will necessarily go into labour early, but do be aware of any changes and get checked out if you are concerned.

mad4mybaby Tue 21-Oct-08 18:08:52

thanks, i get them very often and always uncomfortable and can hurt quite alot. Was in hosp sun eve as got a sick bug thing and started contractions every 10 mins! had keytones and trace of protein but they said should correct itself if i stayed well hydrated and that i had to go back if contractions got worse. Am better today obv, back to normal contractions!

mad4mybaby Tue 21-Oct-08 18:18:46

does it affect labour at all?

doingmyheadin Wed 22-Oct-08 12:29:34

I don't think it will have any affect on your labour although it does indicate that your body is 'getting ready'. That said, I have known women - myself included who have had very strong and frequent BHs and go over their dates and have a long labour. However, it sounds like you had quite a good, if a bit intense, labour last time so chances are this one will be similar - if not a bit quicker. Sorry I can't be more precise - I am a labour ward sister and mum of two and the one thing I am sure of is that childbirth is not an exact science. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: