Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Raspberry leaf tea???

(23 Posts)
Shelli08 Mon 20-Oct-08 21:29:55

Hi ive heard that from 37 weeks, taking raspberry leaf tea is supposed to make labour easier so i bought some capsules and it says take 2 a day, do you think this is ok for pregnant women too or for just general health and should i stick to one a day? has anyone noticed if these tablets make any difference to labour?? I will be feeding back when ive given birth to let everyone know if it made mine easier!! x

kittywise Mon 20-Oct-08 21:42:39

Hi shelli, I never found that RL tea in any form made a blind bit of difference, but that's me. Can't advise on the capsules I'm afraid it probably won't matter taking two though.

good luck with the birth, hope all goes to plan smile

Shelli08 Mon 20-Oct-08 21:52:07

ok thanks kitty, i am probably just trying to find an easy way out, getting scared now

ButtonMeUp Mon 20-Oct-08 21:58:16

I drank it and firstly it tasted lovely and ensured i had a break and a drink.

Secondly i had a shorter labour (with ds1 was 48 hours) with ds2 was 8 hours. Now is unlikely to be the tea but i was very active during labour despite being monitored. I didnt take the capsules though.

sasamax Mon 20-Oct-08 22:00:56

I don't know about the labour being any different but I took the tea with DS and was 12 days late. Then I took the capsules (2 a day I think or maybe 4) and DD was 4 days early!!!!
Prob entirely unrelated but I'll take the capsules if I have another!

carmenelectra Mon 20-Oct-08 22:03:06

Doesnt do any harm to try. I used it both times but i dont know how my labours would have been without it so its difficult! With second pregnancy i drank both the tea and took the tablets. Think i took two am and two pm grin

monkeysmama Mon 20-Oct-08 22:03:51

The capsules are stronger than the tea. I was told to start taking one for a few days, then take two but if I felt any twinges to stop immediately.

CuppaTeaJanice Mon 20-Oct-08 22:04:26

If you go for the tea, add honey otherwise it's nasty.

I vaguely remember seeing something recently (on This Morning, GMTV or similar) about it not being suitable for pregnancy though. Might be worth checking out before you start popping the capsules!

Don't be scared - yes it hurts, but the pain doesn't last for long and then you have your lovely baby to cuddle!!!smile

kayzisexpecting Mon 20-Oct-08 22:06:06

The tea is grim!! I'm going for the tablets this time round!!

ButtonMeUp Mon 20-Oct-08 22:07:29

The tea was yummy.. or maybe that was my wierd pregnancy tastes grin

carmenelectra Mon 20-Oct-08 22:11:54

I liked the tea toosmile

browny Mon 20-Oct-08 22:26:57

Another thumbs up for the tea, I've drank two boxes of the stuff in just over a week, I think it's lovely. I also bought the capsules and am taking two a day of those too, I bought mine from the birthease website smile.

browny Mon 20-Oct-08 22:27:44

Oh, meant to add that I'm 37 weeks today and will report back to let you know if I thought it helped at all smile.

Honeymoonmummy Mon 20-Oct-08 23:07:08

I've been taking Holland and Barratt ones (3-6 a day) since 36 weeks and after speaking to a friend went to an independent health food shop where the guy is really well informed and it turns out the H & B ones are a "bastardised" form somehow (I got lost in the science!!) but he sold me some "Natures Aid" ones which are 2 a day... I just hope I haven't left it too late as I'm 39 weeks on Weds!!!

lowrib Mon 20-Oct-08 23:44:46

According to a NIMH qualified medicinal herbalist I know, one of the principles of herbal medicine is that you should listen to your body - so if you don't like the taste of raspberry tea, then your body is saying it's not for you - don't force it down!

tostaky Tue 21-Oct-08 08:57:25

Im 37 weeks tomorrow and i have been drinking a cup a day (herbs not tea) for the last two weeks and i havent felt any different...

lowrib Tue 21-Oct-08 21:45:22

Sorry I meant raspberry LEAF leaf tea (herbal and medicinal) not raspberry tea (no special properties as far as I know)!

hanaflower Tue 21-Oct-08 21:47:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AmBOO Tue 21-Oct-08 21:50:07

I drank the tea every day, I was 2 weeks late, but I believe it's nt supposed to bring on labour but make the uterus stronger and labour quicker? I dunno, I don't think it made any real difference to me but it's all in the mind and at 36 weeks onwards you are looking for the magic potion wink If I ever got pg again, I'd probably use it again!! Good luck for your birth.

JoBurtoft Tue 21-Dec-10 15:58:50

Is it safe to drink raspberry leaf tea if you are expecting twins?

chelleyve Tue 21-Dec-10 16:14:32

Raspberry Leaf Tea should only be drunk towards the last few weeks of pregnancy (36wks onwards) as it is helps the uterus prepare for labour by causing the uterine muscles to contract. It is contraindicated for early pregnancy and if there is a history of rapid labour.

But there is no evidence to show it effects those with multiple pregnancies. I would say double check with your midwife if you have any doubts - but the levels in a herbal shop bought tea should be safe.

x

Mum2Pea Tue 21-Dec-10 16:22:52

I drank the tea from 36 weeks, took the capsules in the last week too.
Went into labour at 36+5 and took 16 hrs for contractions to be 3 mins apart.
Once 3 mins apart, it was only 4 hours until I was fully dilated.
From all conversations I have had since, this was very quick.

No idea if it was raspberry leaf related, but didn’t suffer any adverse reactions and the labour was very quick, so would do again

tlise Tue 21-Dec-10 16:42:12

I don't like any herbal tea's so have never tried it, but on average mine have been about 12 hours, apart from DD who was under one and half from start to finish lol. Hope I have another girl :D

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: