Talk

Advanced search

Oh God... 9kg weight gain?? Normal?

(20 Posts)
newmomma Mon 20-Oct-08 11:44:06

Hello,

Just a quickie - I was wighed at my 28 week midwife appt this morning and have put on 9kg since my pre-pregnancy weight.

Up until now I wasn't worried about my weight but didn't realise it had changed that much.

Does anyone think that's a lot to have put on by my stage or am I just overreacting? The midwife didn't seem overly concerned...

hmm

SummerLightning Mon 20-Oct-08 13:11:36

sounds about the same as me and I'm short and didn't weigh that much to start with.

I'm not really worried to be honest!

CaptainKarvol Mon 20-Oct-08 13:17:18

Well I'd put on 6kg by my 15 week appt...

Weight gain in pg isn't body fat, on the whole, so I wouldn't worry.

I know from my last pg that I retain absolutely gallons of fluid when pg (put on 3 stone going from 9st to 12 st), so assume that it's happening again. I lost all the water in a couple of weeks of horrific night sweats after giving birth.

hanaflower Mon 20-Oct-08 13:24:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chinchi Mon 20-Oct-08 14:35:47

Im 32 weeks on Wednesday and have put on 12kg.

Didnt mind at all until I noticed my first stretch marks in the mirror this morning

flynn1984 Mon 20-Oct-08 15:05:03

Hiya,

I'm starting to get really worried about the weight gain aspect of pregnancy.
I am only around 5 or 6 weeks and I have already noticed weight gain of around 6lbs...I'm already 14st although I don't look it!

Was wondering if anyone has any advice on keeping the weight gain to a minimum.

Laura x

EffiePerine Mon 20-Oct-08 15:11:24

sounds about right to me. I'd put on about that at my 28w appt.

terf Mon 20-Oct-08 15:28:44

26 week appointment today and have found out i've put on 6kgs since 16 weeks - felt that was a bit too much - but maybe its OK in 10 weeks. Horrified to think how much I'll weigh by the end of it - especially as I've never weighed more than 52kgs in my life. Joys of pregnancy... wink

newmomma Mon 20-Oct-08 15:46:36

thanks everyone - so nice to hear that...
a) i'm not being a 'bad mum' worrying about my weight in pregnancy and
b) that the weight i've gained is about normal.
think i must have been having a hormonal day as it was enough to reduce me to tears at work this morning!
x

SammyBags Mon 20-Oct-08 16:22:47

I think it depends how tall/big you are to start with, 9kg sounds okay. I'm 28 weeks and have put on 8kg, most of it around my bump. Am 5ft 7inches and was very slim when I got pregnant.
By the way flynn1984 I'd put on about half a stone (just under 3kg) by the time I was 10 weeks so I wouldn#'t worry!
Have to say int the last three weeks i haven't gained that much, there's not much room for food now!!

anjlix Thu 23-Oct-08 15:22:19

I have gained 11 Kgs by 28 weeks. First pregnancy. Doc says we are all different and babies look fine. So I am happy. I will need the reserves later.

MrsMattie Thu 23-Oct-08 15:26:33

I am crap at 'kg' but I put on 4 stone with my first pregnancy! Seem to have put on less (so far) in this pregnancy- 1 stone 7 lbs at 35 weeks.

I was skinny before falling preg with first baby, though, so maybe that's why I gained so much?

I wouldn't worry. As has been pointed out, MW rarely weigh women now.

MadamDeathstare Thu 23-Oct-08 15:36:34

ladyconstancekeeble Thu 23-Oct-08 15:47:47

I put on 4.5 stone with my 1st, which was more than a 50% increase from my original weight. I lost all but about half a stone then put on less than 2 with my 2nd pregnancy. I was starving all the time with my 1st.

IceCube Thu 23-Oct-08 20:55:26

I'd be interested to know how much of the weight you guys gained came off when you gave birth and whether the rest was difficult to shift if you were breast feeding.

I'm 33 weeks with my first and although I've only gained 1.5 st. so far I was a little heavy to begin with so I'm keen to get into shape when I can.

abear Thu 23-Oct-08 21:03:03

I put on 6 stone with my first pregnancy, lost 1 with the birth , and 1 a week for the following three weeks, then the rest just went over the following two months. With second pregnancy put on four stone and since then lost all that weight and returned to the weight I hadn't been since I was 16 (am 36). I didn't even work on it - it just happened - I think running around after children counts for most of it. I think you should enjoy pregnancy and let the weight be sorted or sort itself out afterwards.

MadamDeathstare Fri 24-Oct-08 14:49:34

coolkat Fri 24-Oct-08 14:56:57

No good at KG's sorry but I am nearly 39 weeks and have put on 2st 2lbs blush, hoping not to put much more on!

CookieMonster2 Fri 24-Oct-08 14:58:11

I can't believe how quickly people can lose the weight shock. I am not so bothered about how much weight I put on, but more how I am going to get rid of it.
First time I put on 2 stone, lost half a stone the week I had the baby (and believe it or not that included the baby), and then it took me a year to lose the other 1.5 stone. Breast feeding obviously helped in no way whatsoever. I didn't dare diet during the first 6 months and lost no weight during this time, but then went on a diet afterwards. Promised myself I wouldn't do that again but second time round I am permanently starving, though I am still trying to keep the weight gain more under control this time.

newmomma Mon 27-Oct-08 15:11:34

hey - sorry 9kg is approx 19lbs...
i'm past caring now... what am i going to do about it anyway... diet? i think not... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now