Talk

Advanced search

Did you / will you buy presents for older siblings from "the baby" ?

(31 Posts)
MamaG Fri 17-Oct-08 15:05:01

I've bought DD (9) a polly pocket set and DS (4) some Disney Cars (thanks misdee!!)

DH thinks I'm weird cos I've (a) bought them nad (b) wrapped them up and put them in the hospital bag

I think its nice! I bought DD something from DS when he was born too

hatrick Fri 17-Oct-08 15:08:30

Message withdrawn

CookieMonster2 Fri 17-Oct-08 15:10:40

I will be doing this. My daughter will be buying the baby a present as well. She loves getting presents for other people and (badly) wrapping them up, and I think anything to get her more involved will be good.

Sunshinemummy Fri 17-Oct-08 15:11:11

Yes we did. We bought DS a garage from his sister and wrapped it. I had it at the hospital and DD 'gave' it to him when he came to visit.

2Happy Fri 17-Oct-08 15:12:12

Oh we bought for ds1 when ds2 was born. Partly because we figured there'd be som much fuss and attention directed at ds2, ds1 (given he was 21m and at that kind of tantrummy beligerent age (now remind me when they grow out of that, lol)) might feel a bit left out. This was doubley important as I was in for a bit so he was shunted round relatives etc. Also partly because my oldest sister's memory of me being born is of the present "I" gave her, so it works!! grin

WorzselMummage Fri 17-Oct-08 15:12:23

We are planning too

McDreamy Fri 17-Oct-08 15:12:48

Yes we will be doing it. DD got a pressie form DS and she bought him one too. They will both get one for this baby. If nothing else it keeps them occupied while they visit in hospital.

expatinscotland Fri 17-Oct-08 15:13:16

bought each girl a book for her Leap Pad and a bath toy.

They're wrapped and ready to give.

poisondwarf Fri 17-Oct-08 15:13:23

I'm planning on doing the same (due in December). DS will only be 20 months though - not sure if that's old enough to understand that it's from the baby or not. Was thinking of a teaset or something - anybody got any good ideas?

MamaG Fri 17-Oct-08 15:13:42

I remember getting a bag of liquorice allsorts and a doll from my sister.

I was 3 and hated liquorice allsorts, but remember thinking "don't tell mummy you don't like them so you don't hurt her feelings". I was a thoughful child grin

bobsyouruncle Fri 17-Oct-08 15:14:03

We did, ds gave dd a toy kitchen when he was born, which she still plays with 4 years later - but she plays with him more grin. I think it's a good idea, although she still detested him when he was born despite loving his present grin

MamaG Fri 17-Oct-08 15:14:37

poisondwarf - teaset sonds good. My DS loves playing with my DD's teaset.

Or maybe a baby doll, so he can look after it while you look after baby?

poisondwarf Fri 17-Oct-08 15:15:38

Ooh yes I like the idea of a baby doll.

McDreamy Fri 17-Oct-08 15:17:01

I think I am going to buy DD some sort of baby equipment. I am buying myself a sling to use with this new baby was thinking of buying her a matching one for her baby. Not sure about DS - probably cars!!!!!

Sycamoretree Fri 17-Oct-08 15:30:17

Yes, talking peppa and george and some chocolate buttons!

melmamof3 Fri 17-Oct-08 15:38:42

Planning on getting my ds1 +2 a present off the baby, due in 6 weeks, so better get buying. Never thought of wrapping them though, thanks for the tip.

When I had ds2, we bought kids magazines with toys on the front for every day I knew I'd be in hospital (elective section) and he really enjoyed those

ceebee74 Fri 17-Oct-08 15:47:13

Yes - am due in 6 weeks and already bought it. It is a Thomas carry case for DS's Thomas trains - which reminds me, I need to get it wrapped up and in my hospital bag (when I eventually get round to packing it!).

I was talking to my mum about it and she said when my sis was born, my bro got a little Tonka car - I guess times have changed since then grin

ceebee74 Fri 17-Oct-08 15:48:14

Melmam - what a good idea about the magazines. DS adores his magazines so a different one for each day would be fab and a great way to keep him entertained when he comes and visits me.

Bumblelion Fri 17-Oct-08 15:52:29

Yes, I did all those many moons ago (children now nearly 16, nearly 12 and nearly 7).

I remember when my youngest was born and we bought presents for the older two, my son (4 at the time) was very disappointed because he wanted a play station and wasn't very impressed with a baby sister!

Bumblelion Fri 17-Oct-08 15:54:10

Also, as an aside, whenever I visit friends/family with a new baby, if they have an older child, I always remember to take something for that older child, whether it be some colouring pencils (if they like colouring) or even just a magazine. That way, although I am buying something for the baby, the elder child does not feel left out either.

overthemill Fri 17-Oct-08 15:56:07

always buy tiny things for bog bro or sis when see new babies. they can feel left out
we bought a climbing frame for eldest two as the new baby was in a new family so didnt want then upset. they loved it but asked how she had bought it!

Bumblelion Fri 17-Oct-08 15:59:15

As an aside, aside(!), if an employee in work goes on maternity leave and we have a big collection, we normally ask what they would like/need (no point buying something like a car seat/moses basket when someone else has already bought it for them), even if they only want vouchers.

We always, as a company, make sure that whatever we buy for the baby (that the mum needs), we also buy something just for the 'mum' whether it be a voucher for a manicure or facial (if she likes being pampered) or even just vouchers for a particular shop that we know she buys clothes from so, when she is back in her 'normal' clothes after having the baby she also has a 'treat.

Also, I find, that as a friend/family, whenever I visit the baby (and I recall this from when I had my children) I do not expect the new mum to make me tea, entertain me, etc. while I cuddle her new baby. I would rather I made the tea and she spent time with her baby because otherwise it seems that everyone else has more hands-on with the new born than the parents themselves.

Wheelybug Fri 17-Oct-08 19:31:45

Planning to although given we have christmas, dd's birthday is Jan and dc2 due mid march (although could come in feb) I may well have run out of ideas by then ! I always thought I'd get her a doll but dc2 has taken a lot longer to come along than we thought so dd has millions of the damn things now.

DD is going to pick a cuddly toy for the baby as she has a bunny she is surgically attached to so thought it would be nice to get her to choose one for dc2.

yousaidit Fri 17-Oct-08 19:35:02

dd will be 23m when dc arrives, we've got her a sort of etch a sketch thing, but more to keep her occupied and it doesn't make noise or use batteries!!! grin

RhinestoneCowghoul Fri 17-Oct-08 19:37:13

DS will be 2.5 when this baby comes along (sometime around Christmas), so planning to get him a nice book as he's really into being read to - and it's something we can look at together when I'm feeding the baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now