Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Does It Hurt When Baby Engages?

(9 Posts)
chinchi Thu 16-Oct-08 13:43:37

First of all, hands up, I admit I have been worrying about every niggle and ache this pregnancy with my DS being born at 29+5 last August.

I am now 31+1 (yay!) and since early evening yesterday, have been having a dull ache across my lower back. Baby has been more active these past 24 hours that I have known her to be throughout this whole pregnancy!

At my last MW appointment, I was told baby was head down, although it hadnt engaged yet. DS' head was engaged by 26 weeks, but I had no idea, and he was born 3 weeks later!

Anyway, to get to my point, could my aching be caused by baby engaging, or is it likely to be something else? My belly felt like it was about to explode lastnight, and now Im sat perched on the end of my chair, rocking, in the hope it will ease the pain! I had contractions at 26 weeks this time, and was giving steriods etc, and told it was likely I would probably deliver early again, yet Ive been feeling great despite the tiredness and now this aching that I have.

Any suggestions ye wise MNers?!

chinchi Thu 16-Oct-08 14:10:42

Bump

expatinscotland Thu 16-Oct-08 14:11:31

No.

It can feel like you have to pee all the time and make you walk like John Wayne, but it doesn't hurt.

Cosette Thu 16-Oct-08 14:14:33

I've had 3 DCs and haven't been aware of any of them engaging, although of course that doesn't mean that's not what you're feeling. I would say that you shouldn't be in pain - and I would be inclined to contact your midwife to ask for advice. I suppose it's possible that your body is gearing itself up for birth - and as it would be premature, then you should get it checked out, as there are things they can do to help prevent labour.

broodymom Thu 16-Oct-08 14:14:58

I remember when dd1 head was engaged because because i found it difficult to walk it felt like she was right there almost between my legs and i was very aware of the preassure i was feeling but it didnt hurt. And she was engaged for weeks before her birth. If you go early you may be niggling like the start of labour as the days leading up to dds birth i could not sit down and also had to perch on edge of chair as the pressure was emmense! I hope everything is ok with you and baby. If you dont feel any better soon call and speak to your MW.x

broodymom Thu 16-Oct-08 14:16:00

lol at expat and deff second the john wayne walk!

normansmum Thu 16-Oct-08 14:18:11

mine hurt every time with backache like you say. but pain also felt like mild contractions so it very hard to tell when in labour or just a bit of engaging going on. mw puts it down to irritable uterus (like its owner wink)

now 37 wk with ds3 and twitching with every niggle and ache so you have full sympathy.

still sure mw / hosp wont mind if you get it checked out.

chinchi Thu 16-Oct-08 14:19:26

Thankyou!

Well I have the urge to wee but Im not walking like John Wayne yet, so it could just be how she is laying. Ill give it an hour or so and see if things ease off.

The things we go through eh?!

ChocOrange05 Thu 16-Oct-08 20:11:13

I am 38 weeks and at my last MW appointment 2 weeks ago baby was 2/5 engaged. I find that it often hurts "down below" but not in my lower back. Its especially when I am walking - its like an ache and I sometimes feel like I want to hold my bump up to stop it from hurting.

Good luck - hope your baby stays put for a while longer! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: