Talk

Advanced search

anyone with SPD want to join me in a moan

(11 Posts)
kazbeth Wed 15-Oct-08 20:00:02

I've just had the crappiest day today. I've been in such pain I could hardly make it to the kitchen to do dinner earlier. My left leg just didn't seem to want to move forward and every step was agony.

Would crutches help do you think? If so, how do I go about getting them? My next midwife appointment isn't for another week.

How is everyone else dealing with it?

TinkerBellesMum Wed 15-Oct-08 20:48:52

I've been on crutches for about two weeks and I'm not taking painkillers anymore. Without them I drag one of my legs and am often trying to hold onto my pubic bone to stop it falling out! I also tend to walk like I'm still sitting.

If you haven't seen a physio yet you need to get a referral to one either from your GP, MW or obstetrician, if you have then just call theme up and say your mobility is suffering.

TheHedgeWitch Wed 15-Oct-08 20:54:49

Message withdrawn

ellenjames Wed 15-Oct-08 20:57:45

i dont have it that bad yet but am only 17 weeks, but at the moment feel like i have been kicked in the fanny by a horse and dh wonders why i don't want to have sex!

TinkerBellesMum Wed 15-Oct-08 21:11:39

My doctor said to take paracetamol like a course, she said if it's not taken regularly then it won't work. She said if paracetamol doesn't work like try co-codamol, if co-codamol isn't working (again taking it like a course) then see your GP for prescription painkillers (co-dydramol, the next step up from co-codamol). If you get to the co-dydramol stage and you are struggling to walk then it's time to get the crutches.

A maternity belt will also help. Some GPs will prescribe it, but they cost £20-£25 if not.

cheesemonster Wed 15-Oct-08 21:57:27

try to get the crutches from a physio, I found they really do make a difference. Have you considered seeing a mctimoney chiropractor? I was on crutches from week 16 with ds & in a wheelchair from week 21, along with very strong painkillers. With dd I saw a mctimoney chiropractor, hardly needed painkillers & didnt use the crutches at all & definalty no wheelchair. You have to pay but I found it to be so worth it. Good luck

kazbeth Thu 16-Oct-08 09:20:22

Well, I've rung the physio and they are giving me crutches. Can't believe I'm having to have these but hope they help.

TinkerBellesmum - yours sounds awful, much worse than mine. Do you get any relief from the pain at all when lying or sitting down?

I've been a bit reluctant to take any painkillers yet, partly because they say try to avoid them during pregnancy but mostly because I'm worried I'll make things even worse if I can't feel the pain so much and move too much or in a bad way.

I've been given one of those belts and it helped when I could still walk but is really awkward for sitting down in. Most of my movements at the moment are up and down with my toddler so it hasn't proved to be too helpful.

Sadly we can't afford a chiropractor at the moment Cheesemonster. I did mention it to the physio but they said it wasn't a good idea until after the birth. What's the difference between a mctimoney one and a normal one?

My sympathies to you all having this too. What with my miscarriages and the worry of that and now this, this pregnancy sucks. I know I'm very lucky to be pregnant in the first place and should be grateful but some days it's hard to be.

mad4mybaby Thu 16-Oct-08 09:44:58

i had spd with ds1 and had to stop work at 6 months because of it. didnt get any help and assumed i just had to suffer. HAve been having cranial osetopathy for ages and has helped bit still in agony. Saw the physio bout a month ago and she helped short term, gave me excercises (dont you just HATE that??) and some tubigrip. the tubigrip just rolls up.

Another thing is that things like belts and stuff is all good and well but like you say kazbeth i am up and down with ds1 (2) and driving and what have you and they just DONT help coz forever having to adjust them plus i find cant wear under trousers either! yesterday not so bad but today i feel like a hippo slept across my pelvis!

TinkerBellesMum Thu 16-Oct-08 10:47:39

Don't worry about painkillers, paracetamol is fine and so is co-codamol. If it doesn't work your GP may need permission from your obstetrician to prescribe co-dydramol. There is something they can prescribe after that which involves a paediatrician being present at the birth to give an antidote. Not serious if they do and could cause some asthma if not.

You won't get mobility back if you take painkillers, so you won't be able to push yourself past what you can do - you'd just end up unable to move!

My best position at the moment is sitting on the PC chair so I'm spending a lot of time here! Sitting on a sofa allows my back to slump down which gives me heartburn as well as the pain. I find it hard to get comfortable lying down - although lying on the sofa with my head on the arm, a cushion against the arm supporting my back and my bum in the gap between cushions is a really comfortable way to lie.

cheesemonster Thu 16-Oct-08 13:35:40

Agree with TBM about painkillers. They will make you more comfortable & that has got to be good for your happiness. The dr can also prescribe a slow release codine that is taken rwice a day & you can take in with paracetamol etc. It is also worth looking at what foods you can eat that are natural anti-inflammatories- I know that we cant take things like ibuprofen but if you do some research there are foods that do this naturally, eg pineapple, ginger.
With DS it was suggested I spent the last 3 weeks of pregnancy in hospital on pain relief that turns out would have been morphine. No one told me till I had declined the admision that if I had been on morphine DD would have a high chance of being born addicted to morphine & need to go into SCUBU- this souns like a complety different option to the one TBM is talking about though & I dont want to scare you, just wish they had been more honest with me.

McTimoney chiro is a much more gentle form that works on the whole body, cant find the link but they have a website which explains all. It is fine to be treated like this during pregnancy, you can always talk about it with a local practioner. All due respect to your physio but her advice is incorrect. I think it is probably NHS policy as they do not normally recognise chiroprators. I wish with my DS I had not listened to the physio & consultant who told me I couldnt have the treatment while pregnant & it wouldnt work.hmm

May also be worth looking on the Pelvic Partnership website.

TinkerBellesMum Thu 16-Oct-08 14:15:52

The reason they won't recommend it is research has shown that doing anything with PGP other than teaching someone about posture and gentle exercises etc and giving them pain relief and aids doesn't do much. They used to do it on the NHS but found they would have to keep doing things every few days as things would go back. One the pregnancy is over and things aren't so supple it's easier to work with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now