Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can you use a mooncup during post-partum bleed?

(17 Posts)
themothership Wed 15-Oct-08 19:49:59

Probably a daft question - I know that you aren't supposed to use tampons, so does this apply to mooncups too?

chequersandchess Wed 15-Oct-08 19:51:14

Don't have one of these but doesn't sound like a good idea.

Also, would it actually stay in for the first couple of days?!

LittleMyDancingWithTheDevil Wed 15-Oct-08 19:52:00

I think so, yes. the problem with putting anything up there is that the wound where your placenta was attached is still bleeding and your cervix is still open, so there's a risk of infection if you start putting things up near there.

I'd play safe and stick to the lovely duvets maternity pads. smile

Flamesparrow Wed 15-Oct-08 19:52:01

no, it says not to for 6 weeks postnatal

S1ur Wed 15-Oct-08 19:52:27

nope

bundle Wed 15-Oct-08 19:52:52

no

lulumama Wed 15-Oct-08 19:52:52

yes, i don;t think you are advised to use anything internally until 6 weeks post natal

i doubt it would stay in grin

use the thin maternity pads or see if you can get some reusable washable pads from flamesparrow

NorthernLurker Wed 15-Oct-08 19:54:37

Do you know after all the mucking around with that area which goes on when you're giving birth I seriuosly doubt you'd want to go anywhere near that area for quite some time!! Maternity pads are so comfy and reassuring!

LittleMyDancingWithTheDevil Wed 15-Oct-08 19:56:09

'mucking around' is about the size of it! I've never had so many people get involved in that end of me.....wink

Olihan Wed 15-Oct-08 19:56:17

I think it would probably be too painful to take out and put in, tbh. Your perinium is very tender and swollen for quite a few days/weeks. Also, if you tear and have to have stitches you really, really wouldn't want to be scraping a big bit of plastic against them shock <-- that's what your face would look like, I reckon grin.

I have one but wouldn't let it anywhere near my bits after giving birth grin.

If you had a cs then it would probably be okay.

lulumama Wed 15-Oct-08 19:57:55

even with a c.s i would leave it well alone ! your foofoo has had all the extra blood flow and pressure and your pelvic floor is in need of recuperation

grin

LittleMyDancingWithTheDevil Wed 15-Oct-08 20:00:09

I was scared to investigate in any way, let alone start inserting anything.

I just left it alone as much as possible and thought about other things!

MinkyBorage Wed 15-Oct-08 20:01:58

I#ve no idea about whether or not you're supposed to, but I wouldn't simply because it would flood in about ten seconds!!!

themothership Wed 15-Oct-08 20:21:41

Thanks everyone - you've confirmed what I thought. Had to have episiotomy and stitches last time, so totally agree that the last thing I will probably be wanting to do is sticking anything up there (couldn't even bring myself to look at it)... Just loathe the sanitary towel thing, may well look into the reusable pads so thank you for that suggestion lulumama.

upsetandangry Wed 15-Oct-08 20:23:05

oooooo i would think not - surely it would really hurt - i wouldnt let anythig go u there for at least a year lol! - ok well perhaps 6 weeks

sorkycake Sat 18-Oct-08 17:49:21

I would imagine that by the time you'd inserted it, it would be full and need taking it out again.

I think the cost/eco way to do it is to use reusables.

nooOOOoonki Sat 18-Oct-08 17:54:06

No you can't !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now