Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can I use Vicks vaporub when pregnant?

(17 Posts)
staryeyed Wed 15-Oct-08 15:39:27

I have a bloody awful cold and feel so stuffy. Is it safe to use Vicks?

ShowOfHands Wed 15-Oct-08 15:41:06

Paracetamol only I'm afraid.

staryeyed Wed 15-Oct-08 15:43:46

sad paracetamol does nothing. Hmmph.

liznay Wed 15-Oct-08 16:51:30

I've got a cold too, sending you lots of sypathy. I've been to the chemist and they've given me vicky vaporub, and after carefully checking the ingredients some extra strong halls eucolyptus sweets (thought that was a bit OTT to be honest but better safe than sorry) some olbas oil and some buttercup syrup for my cough.

You're right about Paracetamol it does bugger all! I had a piriton last night to help me sleep and stop me sneezing. I've been told that its ok to take occaisonally and it really helped.

Nemoandthefishes Wed 15-Oct-08 16:56:29

apparently according to nurse I saw this morning even paracetamol shouldnt be taken if can be avoided anymorehmm

ShowOfHands Wed 15-Oct-08 16:59:57

Pharmacist refused to sell me anything apart from paracetamol.

MsG Wed 15-Oct-08 19:09:18

I got some cough syrup - a linctus that the pharmacist in Boots recommended. I also got some menthol crystals to put in hot water and inhale as I read they are safe.

PictureThis Wed 15-Oct-08 19:11:44

It's fine to use in pregnancy.

SharpMolarBear Wed 15-Oct-08 19:12:50

How can you n ot use it??? WHat if someone opens it while you're on a bus and you inadvertantly smell it? Never understood how some smelly things are unsuitable for tiny babies either

snooks Wed 15-Oct-08 19:15:53

i used those vicks stick things that you put up one nostril and inhale when my nose was blocked with a terrible cold last christmas (6 months pg). olbas oil make one too, both were effective. they're just menthol-based, i believe.

SharpMolarBear Wed 15-Oct-08 19:16:43

olbas oil - thats what I was trying to think of

diddle Wed 15-Oct-08 19:26:48

never understood why you can't use this. or why babies can't have Karvol or vicks when young.
When ds2 was 3 months old he got a cold, so i put the karvol and vicks on me and whenever i fed him he got a good whiff before bed to calm his sniffles.

samsonthecat Wed 15-Oct-08 19:30:05

This was my craving with DD1. I was even eating it at the end (I know you are not surposed to) blush

snooks Wed 15-Oct-08 19:33:51

vicks is very addictive wink. when i was a child i used to rub it on my chest so i could sniff it even when i didn't have a cold. i had a friend who used to sniff olbas oil on the bus hmm

fortunately it wasn't the edge of the slippery slope and we are now very respectable mothers.

Snaf Wed 15-Oct-08 19:33:55

You ate Vicks Vaporub? Wow, that is some craving... shock

Fine to use in pregnancy. But for external use only grin

Bicnod Wed 15-Oct-08 19:52:01

I used vicks vaporub recently as had stinking stinking cold and couldn't breathe. Can't see the problem with it to be honest...

nickytwoooohtimes Wed 15-Oct-08 19:53:21

Vicks is fine in pregnancy. it is an inhalant, like Olbas Oil. No serious meds allowed, obviously, but smelly stuff is fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now