Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Pork pie guilt - are they particularly risky?

(7 Posts)
mrsgboring Tue 14-Oct-08 15:50:46

I'm very very paranoid about food safety in pregnancy. I had a full term stillbirth, then a healthy DS and while there is no suggestion that DD died because of any food related illness, I always worry about listeria, toxoplasmosis etc. because I know that the worst can happen.

Usually, I don't eat cold meat at all in pg (FSA advice is that they don't recommend pg women to give up cold meat as they do in the US, but "if you're particularly worried you may wish to exclude it from your diet" I am of course particularly worried)

However, I also have great problems eating anything without throwing up and yesterday cracked and had two pork pies at a party. Then I bought some and had one for lunch today too. Will it be all right?

BTW I don't need a lecture on healthy eating. I usually have a great diet (make my own muesli etc) but in pregnancy I can't eat anything unless it's 50% saturated fat and 50% salt/sugar. Have long ago given up on having anything approaching a healthy diet until at least 24 weeks. sad

EffiePerine Tue 14-Oct-08 15:52:31

I can;t see the problem in eating pork pies as they have been thoroughly cooked plus the salt would surely keep most germs at bay?

EffiePerine Tue 14-Oct-08 15:53:47

had a wuick look amd seems to be an issue re raw meat and cured meat, neither of which applies to pies grin

Bucharest Tue 14-Oct-08 15:53:58

I'm sure it will be fine....especially if bought fresh as you say.
Good luck with the rest of your pgxx

cluckyagain Tue 14-Oct-08 15:56:05

I had a massive craving for scotch eggs throughout all 3 pgs - hate them usually - vastly odd, not awfully healthy but quite honestly, stuff it! You'll be fine.x

hambo Tue 14-Oct-08 15:58:09

Hi I wrote you a long mail and my 'helpful' son pressed Esc...I was saying I think you will be fine, you are just worrying about the one thing which you have done 'wrong'....I also cannot eat anything green until later on in pregnancy.

You will probably worry about anything and everything (which I would do too) with your history sad (but also smile)

Good luck!

mrsgboring Tue 14-Oct-08 16:01:17

Thank you all. I do worry more than I should, which I suppose is only natural.

Am already fantasising about plates of parma ham and gorgonzola, asparagus (which I'd die if I had to eat now but is one of my fave things - DC due just before season starts...) glasses of champagne etc. etc. which possibly adds to the guilt feelings.

God but the pork pie was lovely. Have never bought one before, and the lard was even congealed on the bottom in disgusting manner. grin

Sorry, spend the whole of pg rather miserably obsessing about food in one form or another.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: