Talk

Advanced search

What can I use that's safe and WORKS for nits in pregnancy???

(11 Posts)
Diege Mon 13-Oct-08 17:37:08

I'm mortified blush. DD3 brought them back from nursery last week (she was treated with Full marks hmm) and I thought I'd missed out. Last night in bed I only saw one of the little sods (nits, not dds) hop onto my shoulder, and have been scratching ever since. Can't see any signs as yet, but just know it's a matter of time...
Just 4 weeks pregnant, but want to get this sorted!

CarGirl Mon 13-Oct-08 17:48:05

The nitty gritty comb and conditioner. No other comb does the job.

Also I think it is hedrin that may just suffocate them and be safe in pregnancy.

Diege Mon 13-Oct-08 17:49:28

Ooh thanks Cargirl! That comb sounds fierce grin. Can I use any conditioner with it or does it come with its own special one?

44christmaspuddingsinarow Mon 13-Oct-08 17:57:17

olie oil - will also leave your hair in beautiful condition aswell.

Put all over your hair and put a shower cap on or something similar. leave on your hair for 3-4 hours and then comb with a nit comb. Use an old towel around your shoulders. When you have combed all through your hair then wash your hair with normal shampoo.

Repeat every 3 days for at least one month and inbetween use conditioner and comb method if you want.

On week three you can lenghten the time to every 4-5 days.

The olive oil doesn't kill the nits but puts them into a hyperthermic state so they cant run away they fall out the hair.

The condition method is good, but the nits can still run.

Remember that nits have a 28-30 day life cycle so you need to keep up action for over one month as the eggs hatch and your back to having niots again before you know it.

Also a good pair of straightners are ideal for over heating eggs...the heat will kill the eggs.

44christmaspuddingsinarow Mon 13-Oct-08 17:57:44

Oliver oil sorry

CarGirl Mon 13-Oct-08 17:57:51

Comb is £10 but you can get it free on pescription - if you google you should be able to find a letter to give to your gp. No any conditioner will do. Easiest thing is to sit in front of the TV with dry hair and get someone to section it off put conditioner onto a small section comb thoroughly, move onto the next section etc.

You will need to nitty gritty your dd too as if you have them you will be passing them backwards and forwards plus those lotions don't kill the eggs IME

Diege Mon 13-Oct-08 19:53:12

Thanks girls smile. Am going to try the olive oil this week, and then get the special comb on prescription when at the GPs next week. I also have GHD irons, so may help with eggs! My scalp feels like it's on fire, but no sign of 'live' biddies just yet!

dukester Mon 13-Oct-08 21:17:17

Hedrin is safe to use in pregnancy and is thought to be very effective.You do need to repeat the treatment a week later as well.

HRHSaintMamazon Mon 13-Oct-08 21:19:00

hedrin is just odd smelling vegetable oil for all i can make out.

stick a tonne of normal oil on your head and comb through.

though i have heard that Mayo is the new craze.
stick it on and leave it for half an hour, wash off and comb through.

eeewww but apparantly it works

ivykaty44 Mon 13-Oct-08 21:23:57

DO remember to wash and dry your hair before using the irons on your hair and not to use any heat treatment lotions - as this will not only coat the hair and protect it but coat the eggs and protect them aswell.

Mayo is made with olive oil - therefore will do the same but a lot lot whiter.

Olive oil is cheaper than a lot of fancy products like herin.

They found that the oil worked in the fisheries and so would also work on nits/lice on humans aswell.

Olive oil is thicker than vegtable oil thats why it is used as it sticks in the gills of the lice and is less runny on the head wink

Sidge Mon 13-Oct-08 21:31:47

Nits can't jump so it might not be nits - do you have pets? Could it have been a flea?

We use Nice N Clear, which is a non-chemical treatment so lovely and safe, it seems to work well too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now