Talk

Advanced search

which powdered milk formula 2 use there are so many

(20 Posts)

hi

has anyone had any experiences with milk powder formulas

gladders Mon 13-Oct-08 16:26:00

The nutritional value is identical for all the milks from what I can remember?

Only reason I went for SMA is that it's what Mum had used for us!

Pruners Mon 13-Oct-08 16:27:05

Message withdrawn

lillypie Mon 13-Oct-08 16:27:24

Hipp organic it's the cheapest and umm organic grin

lauraloola Mon 13-Oct-08 19:39:07

I use Hipp Organic as dd had a reaction to SMA Gold. I went for SMA Gold as thats what most people go for - Although after changing it seems a lot of babies dont get on with it.

flourybaps Mon 13-Oct-08 19:51:31

Pruners thats the advice I followed, my local tesco metro sells SMA gold so thats the one I chose...... not sure if I should have put more thought into it......

nuclear Mon 13-Oct-08 20:22:28

Aptimel (sp??) was quite good we switched to that from SMA as DS was having hard stools and it helped to soften his poo.

HV recommended it.

but i also agree that you need to get one that is readily available at your nearest store.

HeathersMummy Mon 13-Oct-08 20:23:28

When DD was born advice from midwife and HV was to go for Aptamil. Never had any probs and will use it again for DC2 [runs and hides from breast feeding police emoticon!]

lauraloola Mon 13-Oct-08 20:23:32

I thought that too but then had to change. Hipp is usually out of stock in most of my local supermarkets so I stock up when I find it. I currently have 3 boxes in my cupboard and never have less then 1!!

EdwardCullenCanHaveMysoul Mon 13-Oct-08 20:23:59

I second Aptimil, SMA also caused Dd1 to have constipation (unfortunately not available at our corner shop - bum)

poppy34 Mon 13-Oct-08 20:35:02

I use SMA and never had any trouble - found aptamil made her sicky/runny poo. that said if you read the back of box there is really very little difference betwen the major brands

poppy34 Mon 13-Oct-08 20:36:01

would also say it doesnt do to to be too precious about it for the running out reason (that said I've stock piled SMA to a ridiculous degree blush)

arena Mon 13-Oct-08 20:36:39

I also used Aptimil for my first child, and i would use it again.

hazeyjane Mon 13-Oct-08 20:39:46

I found Aptamil caused my dd2 to have explosive, stinky wind and poos ( sorry if tmi), I think it was the added prebiotics, as dd1 didn't have this problem, and she had it pre prebiotic!

I switched to hipp organic, because it was the only one i could find without them. It is also cheap, and if your local supermarket hasn't got it, you can order it online, from Hipp.

constancereader Mon 13-Oct-08 20:41:07

I used Aptimil but if I had to buy it again I would go for the cheapest one.

poppy34 Mon 13-Oct-08 20:42:12

hazeyjane don't think sma has prebiotics in - similar issues iwth dd on aptamil and like you assumed it was prebiotic related

cheekysealion Mon 13-Oct-08 20:44:11

Farleys or aptamil

RGPargy Mon 13-Oct-08 20:44:25

I switched from BF to FF when DD was around 5 or 6 months. I use Cow & Gate because it's what i used with DS when he was a baby after switching from SMA as it made him constipated.

pattymc Mon 13-Oct-08 20:45:46

Aptamil recommended by midwife and never had any problems for us

Ineedsomesleep Mon 13-Oct-08 20:46:03

They are all the same from what I understand. Don't pay extra for added ingredients like prebiotics because they are unproven.

You may want to ask in the bottle/breastfeeding section peoples experiences of feeding with different formulas, as I've heard some Mums say that their baby has been windy with certain ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now